The mosney appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

wild_cat

If my memory serves me right, what a place.

-The big coke slide.
-That pub with the pigs in aeroplanes on the wall.
-The smell in the houses.
-That guy that used to do the nature walks.
-Those big flying fish things.
-The small peoples mother bikes.
-That square with the useless waterfall in it.
-The teddy machines.
-the paddle boats.

Getting a house for 6 people and bringing half the children on the road with you in a five seater car.
Then there was the time my friend went missing and my ma and his ma were sitting in their house about four hours later, he had ran off on his ma because she wouldnt give him anymore money for the teddy machines. And two hours later theres a knock on the door and two red coats after after bringing him back.

The first time I went missing was in mosney, I was just after turning three and my father lost me in the play park I spent three hours with a man from northern Ireland and his son. Then I managed to remember where we were staying. According to my ma my da ruined the whole holiday for everyone.

Then another time my brother caugt a fish in that paddle thing and my other brother stole it off him and he cried the whole way home to wexford.

We used to come home with half a boot full of teddies.

Trabolgin can fuck off.

-That guy that used to do the nature walks.
Uncle Bill or something? Legend

The Star Trek Exhibition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loads of Northern Ireland people down to escape the marching season.

Crumlin/Tallaght/Drimnagh/Finglas scanger kids, and their parents who egged them on.

Getting money robbed from our house, reporting it, and then having another resident say to us "Ah yeah, sure I'd be robbing money myself here and there, sure why not? And the rest of the lads are mad for it"

The Beach!!!!

The Bridge on the way to the beach that shook violently when trains went over it.

Having the English channels on the tv, we didn't have that back home.

The ropes in the underground swampy bit of the pool that you could swing out of...almost.

Go Karts.

Crazy golf!

i almost broke my legs on the go karts in mosney. some girl decided she'd had enough of driving halfway through and left her kart in the middle of the track. i was too busy using the international sign language for wanker at one of my friends to notice and bang i has bruises up my legs for the two weeks....

hah and when i was there they had "the ultimate star trek experience" as a main attraction. it was soon closed down under the trades description act.

Mosney? In my day it was still called Butlins...

47d903c0.jpg

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/10/id16.htm

I remember demanding to go on the giant yellow centrifuge thing, despite the fact that I was Motion-Sickness-Extraordinaire-Kid.

After that I remember nothing whatsoever.

Ooooooh, snap. Did you go on it ? I went on a school trip and demanded to go on it too. I was Motion-Sickness-Extraordinaire-Kids loyal sidekick. By the time it started to tilt, I was dribbling sick down my front and gently moaning ' please stop' at the carnie. what really set me off was when the thing was in full swing , looking across at my identical twin friends on the other sides.
Somehow , despite the speed of the cunting yoke, barry was eating taytos and shane was drinking lustily from a can of coke.

My teacher insisted on holding my hand after I fainted post-embarkment, and wouldn't let me go swimming afterwards. Lonliest time ever.

Ooooooh, snap. Did you go on it ? I went on a school trip and demanded to go on it too. I was Motion-Sickness-Extraordinaire-Kids loyal sidekick. By the time it started to tilt, I was dribbling sick down my front and gently moaning ' please stop' at the carnie. what really set me off was when the thing was in full swing , looking across at my identical twin friends on the other sides.
Somehow , despite the speed of the cunting yoke, barry was eating taytos and shane was drinking lustily from a can of coke.

My teacher insisted on holding my hand after I fainted post-embarkment, and wouldn't let me go swimming afterwards. Lonliest time ever.

Heartbreaking.
I never went to any of these places, I feel as if I'm missing a key cultural waypoint on the ordnance survey map of Irish childhood.

Awh. Best superhero combo ever (dizzy-spells notwithstanding).

Dr Dizzy and The Staggerer

Vomit and The Puker

G-Force and The Centrifuge

you can mix and match if you want, but this is going to happen. I've badly wanted to be in a superhero combo for nigh on three years

Holy Motion Sickness, Dr D!

my presiding memories of mosney are of the rip off fairground rides and the water in the pool that was so dirty, you couldn't see your hand underwater if you held it out in front of you. also, the windows into the pub from the pool so the old men could ogle whatever was floating past. bleugh.

what about clara lara and trabolgin?

missed the boat on both of these places. was down at glendalough the other week and clara lara is a few miles from it. was tempted to go and have the adventure of a lifetime on my own.

Clara Lara was cold and wet. This made the hot chocolate fucking stunning.

Lots of wood, lot's of rope. A big slide, but the stairs were too high up for me to arsed going more than once.
There was a far more interesting looking place down the road, what was that?
I tasted peach schnapps for the first time there.

Heartbreaking.
I never went to any of these places, I feel as if I'm missing a key cultural waypoint on the ordnance survey map of Irish childhood.

me neither.

HOWEVER, when we moved to ireland, i made as much use of Clara Lara and Annamoe as is physically possible.

go for it, H8N. you're only as old as your tongue (and a little older than your teeth.)

!cheezy

My biggest memory of Butlins was the computer room. Huge, dark, well air conditioned room filled with Amstrads and holograms on the walls.

'splains a lot.

Do you remember the guy from the TV add with the jazz hands singing "Mosney Holiday Center"????

The big yellow spinning thing was called the Space Round Up.
i actually worked on it for a day, mopping the puke of young chillders up. I was about 16.
Worked there for a summer, me best mate worked there for 3 or 4 years, he loved the place. He started when he was 13 picking up litter or something then moved up to collecting glasses/sweeping floors in the main boozer hall.
He said it was sound until maybe they'd get the Wolfe Tones in to play when the nordies where down escaping the 12th. Madness and lockedness would ensue.

I worked serving food in the great hall when the had the Lions Club and Community Games on, poured a load of hot soup over some poor kid once though, that ended my waiting career. But there was meslf and one other bloke waiting with about 30 girls, which equalled alot of awkward messy fun at 16, oh the memories....

I new the fella that also worked on the go-carts, his uncle owned it or something. But i always thought his job was cool, but his head was wrecked most of the time. Saying that, the garage for the go-carts was on the other side of Mosney and they had to drive them across the whole grounds to get them there, which i always thought would be classic to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back