DIY Guitar Messing About (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i think i have the beginnings of my next project. got a slab of london plane off a friend, almost (but not quite) the perfect dimensions for a tele body. it's long enough and thick enough, but about 1cm too narrow for a classic tele size, but i can work with that. there's a crack in it, most of which i will be able to cut out, but it could sink the idea.

from a tree which was felled in merrion square.

PXL_20230330_210537503.jpg

PXL_20230330_210651284.jpg

i think i have the beginnings of my next project. got a slab of london plane off a friend, almost (but not quite) the perfect dimensions for a tele body. it's long enough and thick enough, but about 1cm too narrow for a classic tele size, but i can work with that. there's a crack in it, most of which i will be able to cut out, but it could sink the idea.

from a tree which was felled in merrion square.

View attachment 16862

View attachment 16863
Cool - did you show me that before?

So it’s 35mm thick? It would be thinner than fender specs, but still perfectly useable!

You might have seen a different piece of plane, but this is one a friend had. It's about 5cm thick, but 31cm across - I think a Tele would be 32 or 33cm?

You might have seen a different piece of plane, but this is one a friend had. It's about 5cm thick, but 31cm across - I think a Tele would be 32 or 33cm?
ahh - sorry - yes - just measuring the tele handing on the wall in front of me - its about 32/33cm.

I guess it depends on what you want to do - make a guitar that sounds like a tele, or looks 100% like one.

Fender style bodies are quite wide/long - losing 10-15mm in the width probably wouldnt be that noticeable. .

Or you could come up your own shape?
for example with the bouzouki I most recently made, I started off with an LP outline, and modified it slightly to make it template offset and double cut at the neck. Not having discovered the joy of routing the accuracy of the eventual shape to the template was hampered by my jig-sawing and rasping method - which wouldn't be a problem you'd face.

yeah, it's certainly not big enough a size difference for me to lose sleep over. the crack is the issue though, it's about an inch in so could knock another few cm off that. i could saw it in two and insert a piece of mahogany in the middle (a fake 'neck thru' design in a sense) to bulk out what i'm missing but that might not look good.

yeah, it's certainly not big enough a size difference for me to lose sleep over. the crack is the issue though, it's about an inch in so could knock another few cm off that. i could saw it in two and insert a piece of mahogany in the middle (a fake 'neck thru' design in a sense) to bulk out what i'm missing but that might not look good.

I like this idea - its something I've considered doing myself...

and I've probably said before - but you're more than welcome to take my tele for a weekend to measure off of.

did you freehand them or make a template?

i don't think i'll be able to get around the crack on this slab; i.e. i won't be able to use it without cutting it. pity, it's a nice piece of wood, and the uninterrupted grain is pretty.

PXL_20230401_191822183.jpg

PXL_20230401_191830812.jpg

did you freehand them or make a template?

i don't think i'll be able to get around the crack on this slab; i.e. i won't be able to use it without cutting it. pity, it's a nice piece of wood, and the uninterrupted grain is pretty.

View attachment 16866

View attachment 16867
Template- I had a big sheet of 2mm ply I cut in half and glued together. Going to make templates for all the pickup types I have to hand.

I really think your idea of splitting with a middle piece of something else would look really good!

that might be very useful to borrow it..

remind me, where do you buy your spare parts? definitely considering making the tele (and a neck too), so would need all the non-wooden hardware. does anyone do kits minus the wood (higher spec parts than the gear4music ones)?

that might be very useful to borrow it..

remind me, where do you buy your spare parts? definitely considering making the tele (and a neck too), so would need all the non-wooden hardware. does anyone do kits minus the wood (higher spec parts than the gear4music ones)?

More than welcome - I whatsapped you a few links to places there a while back? (More parts than complete necks although one of the stores sells necks iirc)

The last neck I bought rather than made was a ‘paddle headstock’ one (ie no holes or shaping but neck finished otherwise) - I’ll try and find you the link as while cheapish it had a lovely profile and the frets were fairly well done.

You definitely have the gear and skills to make a neck though - although would suggest buying a slotted fretboard as that’s a whole other ballgame to make from scratch…

Weird that I'd never heard of this lot before. Just slightly irritating that this bundle is of 600mm lengths, which is a little too short for a one piece neck.

Weird that I'd never heard of this lot before. Just slightly irritating that this bundle is of 600mm lengths, which is a little too short for a one piece neck.

also interesting

I've no idea what 'three splayed edges means'

i assume it means chamfered on three edges, rather than just a straight edge?

i rang them this morning, as to whether there was a possibility of getting wood just a little longer than 600mm, but as stated, the next size up is 1200, which would mean wasting nearly half the wood (unless of course i found another use for the offcut).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back