Lankum (1 Viewer)

They're no Lynched
I’ve only really heard them when they were Lynched, saw them upstairs in Whelan’s doing a support slot and they were one of the best bands I’ve ever seen. I’ve actually been afraid to listen to the studio recordings in case it shatters the memory.

liked the first two releases. But never really went back to them . Third one in a different league I think, brilliant. stands up to repeated listens well. Was supposed to see them in Cork Paddy's night.

“Small change” era waits for me is one of those(apologies for mentioning another band in the lankum thread)

yeah... sorry I did the same thing. I was thinking about a specific track too.

But there's music that I wouldn't listen to twice if it was played at the wrong part of the day. Like, there's music I've heard at 11pm, when I'm tired, and I was working late or something, and I'm semi checked out from consciousness and I've thought it was Scooby-Doo-HUUUUH? record-scratch amazing.

And then I've listened to that same track a couple of days later at the wrong time of the day, and wondered WTF I was thinking, and that it sounds painful and bad.

I guess my brain veers about a bit. But I'm convinced that there's specific times for specific music, and Lankum is not something I like a lot of the time but is something I like a lot late at night when I'm tired.

Or Lynched live... but live is weird. All rules are off. Also I didn't know who they were when I saw them live, so I wasn't expecting anything.

I’ve only really heard them when they were Lynched, saw them upstairs in Whelan’s doing a support slot and they were one of the best bands I’ve ever seen. I’ve actually been afraid to listen to the studio recordings in case it shatters the memory.

I think you'll enjoy the latest one. Lots of drones and extra instrumentation I reckon you'd dig. You'd probably enjoy Spud's interview back a few comments too.

I know the name. I was expecting more fiddley diddley stuff but they're a vocal group.....hmmm it's alright-ish.
I have 3 albums by the unthanks & they do something similar with English folk music. I like that more. I must be a west Brit.

I like them too. Haven't listened to them in a while.

Haven't listened to Lankum. What's put me off is that my brother was telling me that the old starts off with an amazing 7 minute long droney version of the Wild Rover and I have to admit that description's killed off any enthusiasm for checking it out.
I don’t remember starting this thread. I’ve been hearing great things about the new stuff. Must give it a listen.

I was in the "they're good at what they do" camp until I saw them live and realised "they're great at what they do"

Agree with that.
My cousin's son (whatever relation that is) is in a band in the UK, they're called SNYKX, they're doing the work and they're doing well, can't get into them myself. What do we say? Fair Play.

Bonos fucking yunfella for instance
I saw those at a festival, it was all of the sound elements of early u2 with no idea why the were doing it. Taking up valuable festival space is all they are doing.

Lankum are great if that's the only trad orientated thing you pay attention to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back