The Russian invasion of Ukraine (5 Viewers)

It's the Spectator I know but tell me (no, really, do) where this piece is wrong

One year on: how will the Ukraine war end?

(Link should work)

Meanwhile, as the war of articles rages on, is the take home point from this one in the NYTimes not absolutely genocidal?

Opinion | The Problem With Russia Is Russia

We simply must destroy Russia top to bottom, for the greater good... somehow... I'm sure it won't involve massacring the entire population

It's the Spectator I know but tell me (no, really, do) where this piece is wrong

(Link should work)

Meanwhile, as the war of articles rages on, is the take home point from this one in the NYTimes not absolutely genocidal?

We simply must destroy Russia top to bottom, for the greater good... somehow... I'm sure it won't involve massacring the entire population

first one is a reasonable summary. whatever about the donbass, the crimea has had a fairly distinct history, ethnic mix etc.

The ukrainian's would have negotiated at the start, but russians weren't particularly interested as they thought they'd win. The Ukrainians were better organised, motivated, and progressively better armed, and now in a position where as long as they can continue to get support they feel they can not only hold out, but potentially win.

Both sides are now stuck on maximalist goals...short of a massive set back on either side that won't change I think.

C'mon, man. She's a Ukrainian scholar talking about the degradation of her people and peoples like hers.

That Russia is utterly fucked and a genocidal threat to its neighbours is on full display on our TVs every single day.
Dunno where anyone could get a call to arms to wipe out the population of Russia from that piece, or how one's sympathy wouldn't be with her people.

She's criticising a regime and a mentality from her lived experience as a subject of that regime.

There is only one country attempting to massacre an entire population right now. This is something actually happening; not an inference or an imagined future.

(Link should work)

Couldn't find much in there that I disagreed with either. (I've burned my monthly limit on the NYT)

As a general point of principal, be it the north or palestine or catalonia or scotland or whereever I'd be fairly strong on the right of people to have self determination so I'm not hugely invested in the idea of Ukraine's territorial integrity WRT pre invasion borders, or even pre 2014 borders but given the displacement in the regions and the potential desire to return home that people might have it's really hard to figure out what a fair and valid plebiscite on who wants to be governed from where in those areas looks like.

Couldn't find much in there that I disagreed with either. (I've burned my monthly limit on the NYT)

As a general point of principal, be it the north or palestine or catalonia or scotland or whereever I'd be fairly strong on the right of people to have self determination so I'm not hugely invested in the idea of Ukraine's territorial integrity WRT pre invasion borders, or even pre 2014 borders but given the displacement in the regions and the potential desire to return home that people might have it's really hard to figure out what a fair and valid plebiscite on who wants to be governed from where in those areas looks like.
Dunno how they do it

There's what's right and what's achievable, and it's hard to know what either of those are right now - as far as the civilians
With the added layer of you give RUssia too much, you're possibly dealing with this again in a few years
fucking ponderous, man

Steven_Seagal_November_2016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back