BREXIT (4 Viewers)

Hard to know how to judge Corbyn on remain, a figure despised by the entire media class suffered from not being in the news enough? I imagine if he had been in the news a lot he would have been blamed for ruining it in that case also.

At the end of the day he's never passed the centrist purity test of only supporting sensible right wing policies.

Right now we're still in the glory days of Thatcher's children running the world, forever afraid of an imaginary winter of discontent, even in the midst of winter's that have been considerably worse. Nothing to be done with these people but ignore them as they are unsalvagable. We saw it a few pages back here when Starmer's people came out and said that's their target demographic, the middle aged mortgage man. Hell it's a demographic that votes!

Corbyn might have been lukewarm in campaigning for it (basically being a 1970s Labour type who was suspicious of the EEC from the get-go as being some capitalist scheme to depress wages and collective bargaining power)
Yes, exactly what I am saying
He's from that rump of the left that thinks the EU is a capitalist plot and he lost the battle with himself to fight for it for his constituents. Which is a failure as a leader. Or we could sell it as a victory for one's principles maybe?
He could tell Tony Benn when he said his prayers at night that he finally got them out.

you reckon Ed Milliband or somebody would have got people in Stoke or Hull enthusiastic about remain?
I dunno, maybe? I think it was certainly worth going for. Like at least try, you know?
And also, that's the job.
You gotta do it on a rainy night in Stoke too.

Worth remembering for contect, David Cameron also slept through brexit and it was his baby.
Conservatives officially didn't support either side, right? That was his reasoning iirc. Perhaps Labour should have done the same? There's far too many factors at play on such a tight vote for me to really know what would have worked, and what the consequences for it would have been down the line.

but telling people what to do isnt actually democracy.
strongly making the case that it was in Britain's best interest - and Labour voters in particular- to remain in the EU is not exactly "telling people what to do"
It's making a case for the best path forward, i.e. leadership

Not gonna keep banging on about this.

Jees, yis are all willing to bend yourselves into pretzel shapes to defend this guy's utter shit job performance, huh?
Everyone's fault but feckless Jeremy's

Conservatives officially didn't support either side, right? That was his reasoning iirc. Perhaps Labour should have done the same? There's far too many factors at play on such a tight vote for me to really know what would have worked, and what the consequences for it would have been down the line.

Right. The problem was Boris and a few others saw opportunity in boositing thier personal aims through it. And of course I'm pretty sure Boris was remain not too long before this..

1676933468212.png

Edit: not one sentence on that bus was true. Amazing.

strongly making the case that it was in Britain's best interest - and Labour voters in particular- to remain in the EU is not exactly "telling people what to do"
It's making a case for the best path forward, i.e. leadership

Not gonna keep banging on about this.

Jees, yis are all willing to bend yourselves into pretzel shapes to defend this guy's utter shit job performance, huh?
Everyone's fault but feckless Jeremy's

No hold on, you are right. Jeremy did Brexit. The burden of proof isn't with us :p

The blame for not winning two elections is ultimately down to Corbyn and his team, and he quite rightly stepped down after this failure. Brexit, I'd say less so.

Anyway, we're in 2023 now and it's the substitute teacher PM who is also hated by half his party who looks like he's going to be the one who delivers a workable NI protocol.

Anyway, we're in 2023 now and it's the substitute teacher PM who is also hated by half his party who looks like he's going to be the one who delivers a workable NI protocol.
Aye but meanwhile

Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) MP Sammy Wilson said he did not believe a deal would be struck this week.
He said his party would not accept any agreement that would leave Northern Ireland subject to EU laws.
He added that if the prime minister pushed ahead with a deal which did not meet his party's requirements, he would be "very foolish".

_100485210_corbyn3.jpg

"Loudly leading the Remain campaign with Nuremberg-like rallies and what has been described as a ruthless Leninist discipline is IRA sympathizing, committed anti-semite, magic jam grandpa Jeremy "limpwristed" Corbyn, who says we should sign away our sovereignty and nationalize sausages. With this in mind, do you have a message at home for the viewers on how they should vote?"

(Some time compression there for artistic reasons)

No hold on, you are right. Jeremy did Brexit. The burden of proof isn't with us :p
Just that he was complicit, either by negligence or design. Complicit nonetheless.
It was a time to stand up and be counted, and he couldn't, or wouldn't do it.
Like Richie said, the list is long, and it absolutely is. But for me he's on it.

I do not find the English or their culture interesting the way y'all seem to. I don't care who wins their elections really. It's nice when Labour wins, but I don't care really.
You guys mostly seem to think Corbyn's a great guy, and really care that he is a great guy. Good for you. We are coming from this from totally different angles.

Brexit is the only issue in British policy that has truly affected us on this island, and so it's the only one I care about.

_100485210_corbyn3.jpg

"Loudly leading the Remain campaign with Nuremberg-like rallies and what has been described as a ruthless Leninist discipline is IRA sympathizing, committed anti-semite, magic jam grandpa Jeremy "limpwristed" Corbyn, who says we should sign away our sovereignty and nationalize sausages. With this in mind, do you have a message at home for the viewers on how they should vote?"

(Some time compression there for artistic reasons)

People were indeed mean to him.
In politics no less :-D

I do not find the English or their culture interesting the way y'all seem to. I don't care who wins their elections really. It's nice when Labour wins, but I don't care really.
You guys mostly seem to think Corbyn's a great guy, and really care that he is a great guy. Good for you. We are coming from this from totally different angles.

You, who don't care about British politics, went out of your way to enter the thread out of nowhere and declare that throwing this guy under the bus is right and correct and he deserves it and you support it.

No one has said they care about whether or not Corbyn is a great guy personally, everyone has said it was about the politics, but you insist on telling everyone what their opinion is.

FWIW I agree with you that he was clearly ineffective. Lessons must be learned. A key one being to realize who is on your side and who will never be on your side.

Brexit is the only issue in British policy that has truly affected us on this island, and so it's the only one I care about.
One of the most incorrect statements ever posted on here, including any declaration I probably made that Corbyn will win the election.

People were indeed mean to him.
In politics no less :-D
Yeah fair point

You, who don't care about British politics, went out of your way to enter the thread out of nowhere and declare that throwing this guy under the bus is right and correct and he deserves it and you support it.
The thread is called Brexit and theyre about to sign a deal on the protocol, so you know, I was drawn by the topicality

I'll ask permission next time before coming into y'all's private bubble threads where you agree on everything

I love my local TD

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not that Kay Burley is anything special, she's representative of the Brits not getting this and not caring about the implications of Brexit for this island

It's not that they don't understand it; it's that they don't care enough to even have a go at understanding.
This goes for almost all of them over there.
Can't even shoot themselves in the foot without catching us in the crossfire.

I have to stop checking the fucking news feed for Northern Ireland Protocol
I'm going fecking demented with the nothing happening

are the DUP caught between a rock and a hard place? if they don't accept this (which labour seem to have stated they'll support, even though they've not seen the detail), surely that opens the opportunity in say a year's time, if labour are in power, of them negotiating again and signing a deal which isn't written with the fear of the ERG or DUP input?

let’s all just get used to the idea that, from today, we are re-branding the northern ireland protocol as the “windsor framework,” and if that makes jacob rees-mogg and jeffrey donaldson and the assorted other clowns feel good about themselves, then perhaps this whole exhausting episode can slowly start to move towards the wings. we’ve wasted the best part of a decade on dealing with this merry-go-round. and it’s not even our merry-go-round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back