You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

before I read this I was wondering why Tommy wasn't at the Olympics but he was already there in 1992.

the thing that ruins marathons for is how little competition there is. 5 marathons per year is a good amount.
in cycling there's guys doing over 70 days racing p.a. and over 50 days is unremarkable.
so there's quickly another chance if you mess up and from a viewing point it adds some soap opera rivalry and polemics.

a friend on mine trained for the Dublin marathon and got injured and really suffered. her time was far off what she was capable of. some years later she is still a keen runner and cycles but AFAIK didn't bother with marathons after that.

if someone eats properly and does some moderate exercise and is near there correct weight, then unless they have elite level ability personally I'd leave it that.

overall though it's empowering to challenge yourself to do this - maybe that's where the buzz is.

if I ran, I'd wreck my feet, get pains in my shins and get a hernia sooner or later. I have a track record with those three.
I couldn't image doing a marathon in under 5:30-6 hours in my best days as slim 20 year old.
'
well, i mean you could say that about world cups - they are very infrequent. Greatest players in the world could get crocked and miss their shot.

people are generally racing against time rather than each other also
Kipchoge only runs 2 or 3 marathons per year

The thing about running a 5-6 hour marathon is that it's probably harder and tougher than running a sub-4 marathon
Training is as much about shortening your time on your feet on raceday as it is about getting faster (these are kinda the same thing, but the emphasis is all the difference)

Tommy there running his 2:30 had an easier day than the lad who skipped a bunch of his training and ended up fighting for every mile over 4 or 5 hours on the course.

Part of the buzz is adapting your body over time and bringing something you thought impossible into the realm of the possible.
It makes your world bigger, it changes what you think is possible for you in life itself.

Which is a nice thought for old lads

Last edited:
well, i mean you could say that about world cups - they are very infrequent. Greatest players in the world could get crocked and miss their shot.

The thing about running a 5-6 hour marathon is that it's probably harder and tougher than running a sub-4 marathon
Training is as much about shortening your time on your feet on raceday as it is about getting faster (these are kinda the same thing, but the emphasis is all the difference)

Tommy there running his 2:30 had an easier day than the lad who skipped a bunch of his training and ended up fighting for every mile over 4 or 5 hours on the course.

Part of the buzz is adapting your body over time and bringing something you thought impossible into the realm of the possible.
It makes your world bigger, it changes what you think is possible for you in life itself.

we had great craic here watching the Olympic marathons in Sapporo.
they tried to be clever thinking it would be cooler in the north but on the days it was far warmer than Tokyo.
I started the marathon part on #120 and round it post #159 where you can see how much I enjoyed both races and watching folks come in 20 minutes down enjoying their moment of triumph - great stuff.
a few of us commented how different the sizes of the marathoners can be e.g. 6 ft Suisse woman running alongside a Tanzanian who's a foot shorter.

yeah ultimately the empowerment is the mind over matter side of using your body as a weapon.
my point was some fit people underestimate how much their naturally big hearts, lungs and low resting pulse benefit them.
not an excuse to be lazy but most of us just ain't good at sport.
my resting heart beat is about 64. an elite endurance runner would be about 35 or less - I'd guess??

we had great craic here watching the Olympic marathons in Sapporo.
they tried to be clever thinking it would be cooler in the north but on the days it was far warmer than Tokyo.
I started the marathon part on #120 and round it post #159 where you can see how much I enjoyed both races and watching folks come in 20 minutes down enjoying their moment of triumph - great stuff.
a few of us commented how different the sizes of the marathoners can be e.g. 6 ft Suisse woman running alongside a Tanzanian who's a foot shorter.

yeah ultimately the empowerment is the mind over matter side of using your body as a weapon.
my point was some fit people underestimate how much their naturally big hearts, lungs and low resting pulse benefit them.
not an excuse to be lazy but most of us just ain't good at sport.
my resting heart beat is about 64. an elite endurance runner would be about 35 or less - I'd guess??
Some people have more advantages than others when it comes to some sports for sure
But everyone can benefit from increased movement on a daily basis
Consider getting a rowing machine or assault bike - they are absolute beasts of workouts
No impact

Some people have more advantages than others when it comes to some sports for sure
But everyone can benefit from increased movement on a daily basis
Consider getting a rowing machine or assault bike - they are absolute beasts of workouts
No impact.
I have visions of double hernias and a sprained back!
When I lost weight before it was about 80% eating properly. In my current condition I am asking to do myself a mischief if I do anything hardcore.
Eat properly first.
I got a hernia in 2002 from cycling (and weighing over 14 stone).

There have been times in my life when going for 10 mile plus walks was favourite thing. Even better than listening to music. So I have an idea what you are talking about

DISORDER (Bristol) are one of the best bands ever.
I would have thought they were quite well known, and in these days of easy Internet access a quick Google would have been useful. I also saw there's a new band called Sawn-off being discussed on the Irish hardcore page. I guess no one thought to google that either.
Full disclosure, one of my old bands were guilty of this. Shortly after we decided on our name and had a record out we discovered there was a successful punk band from Greece withe the same name. In our defence Ask Jeeves was new fangled technology at the time.

I would have thought they were quite well known, and in these days of easy Internet access a quick Google would have been useful. I also saw there's a new band called Sawn-off being discussed on the Irish hardcore page. I guess no one thought to google that either.
Full disclosure, one of my old bands were guilty of this. Shortly after we decided on our name and had a record out we discovered there was a successful punk band from Greece withe the same name. In our defence Ask Jeeves was new fangled technology at the time.
Greek punk seems to have got much better known since the 2000's.

There is a band called CHAOS UK from London. They released a single in 1979 and broke up in 1982.
In recent years the reformed calling themselves CHAOS UK LONDON.

Also there have been lots of bands called DISORDER but the Bristol band are very well known for over 40 years.

There is a band called CHAOS UK from London. They released a single in 1979 and broke up in 1982.

Also there have been lots of bands called DISORDER but the Bristol band are very well known for over 40 years.
I know Chaos UK well. My old band were compared to them, and not in a good way

you'd probably like this podcast episode.

One thing that seems unique or at least very over represented in punk is a preoccupation with geography. Lots of gig listings where the country of origin is included in the billing, e.g. Shit Badger (FIN), Urinal Cake (JAP), or Tile Market (IRE). Is this some kind of exoticism or are there that many bands with the same name? Even looking at metal which is fairly similar in terms of having local scenes, repeated names, and international appeal it’s not something you see as often.

It's because the rules of punk band names are quite strict and there arent that many options to go for.

This keeps punk real though and wards off new ideas which are disliked by punks.

you'd probably like this podcast episode.

I'd love to run an Ultra

Gotta work up to it tho

One thing that seems unique or at least very over represented in punk is a preoccupation with geography. Lots of gig listings where the country of origin is included in the billing, e.g. Shit Badger (FIN), Urinal Cake (JAP), or Tile Market (IRE). Is this some kind of exoticism or are there that many bands with the same name? Even looking at metal which is fairly similar in terms of having local scenes, repeated names, and international appeal it’s not something you see as often.
You're right, and I never gave this much thought before. I think it's more of a "hey look at our international community (and please get off your arse and come support us to pay for this gig)" kind of thing

I always presumed it was because of regional sounds.

Bands from Japan or Finland or Italy or wherever would have a sound that ran through.
So if someone liked that sound but may not know the band they might go along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back