You know you're getting old.... (3 Viewers)

Two words: neti pot.
oh yeah, I've been doing that since I was about 20. They are good.
I also do this manky gargling thing in the shower where I kind of half open my throat and let the water all wash in there and get phlegmy and horrible, and hoike it out. I keep doing that until it's not all phlegmy.

It makes a horrific choking sound, sometimes I forget you can hear it over the shower and I mortify myself if people are around.

You start thinking everything is a load of shit.

Well it is.....
I have certainly lost interest in a lot of things that I used to like
But I have replaced them with things that i find more fulfilling
There's no way I'm unique in this

There was an ad on the tv for the RNLI.

I said to cap'n, "I should probably donate to them, considering where I live and that".
"Richest charity in the country, besides the poppy pricks, don't bother".
"Maybe I could volunteer then".

He leaned over to me and said "You're past it mate".

I was only thinking of volunteering to wash the boats or something like that. But I could totally still do daring sea rescue shit, couldn't I?

I said to cap'n, "I should probably donate to them, considering where I live and that".

I was only thinking of volunteering to wash the boats or something like that. But I could totally still do daring sea rescue shit, couldn't I?
We can volunteer at soup kitchens and food banks

We may have missed our window on action

Although Damian Browne did just row across the Atlantic and he's over 40
And Sinead Diver just broke the Aussie marathon record and she's 45

We can do hard things, but the window gets tighter every year
If there's anything you want to do, get busy doing it, brother

Steve Ignorant is well known for being a lifeboat volunteer in Norfolk. EDIT: Independent of RNLI
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Look at 'tow bar' Joe Barr. Holder of multiple Irish endurance cycling records set in his 50s. In a couple of months he's going to attempt to become the first 60+ cyclist to cover over 500 miles in 24 hours.
This motherfucker from Derry is out here running 2:30 marathons at 60 y.o.

In his 50s, he slowed down and was fatigued, he'd given up and turned to the gargle, weekslong benders, til he got a blood telling him he had a treatable condition. never looked back.

How did this medical condition slow you down?

I never lost the love of running. I broke some records when I was 50 but then something happened to my body. I struggled with my fitness because I had a medical condition and I needed an operation last August. There was too much calcium in my bloodstream. It was poisoning me. I got a bloodtest for another reason and found out this had been ailing me. I struggled and struggled with fatigue and depression. When I got this sorted, it opened the door for me again.
I didn’t know there was anything wrong with me. I just thought I was getting old. I was struggling with fatigue. I was getting depressed. I was turning to drink, Those binges were killing me as well, they’d go on for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Everything was falling apart really until I got the diagnosis about the parathyroid.

So the answer is, yes, we (old lads) can do these hard things, but like anything else worthwhile, we gotta work for it, and make it a priority
more of a priority than booze in this case (and most cases)

Last edited:
It was more stressful booking center parcs activities yesterday morning than getting wilco tickets. Though neither were really that stressful because who gives a shit.

This motherfucker from Derry is out here running 2:30 marathons at 60 y.o.

In his 50s, he slowed down and was fatigued, he'd given up and turned to the gargle, weekslong benders, til he got a blood telling him he had a treatable condition. never looked back.

So the answer is, yes, we (old lads) can do these hard things, but like anything else worthwhile, we gotta work for it, and make it a priority
more of a priority than booze in this case (and most cases)
before I read this I was wondering why Tommy wasn't at the Olympics but he was already there in 1992.

the thing that ruins marathons for is how little competition there is. 5 marathons per year is a good amount.
in cycling there's guys doing over 70 days racing p.a. and over 50 days is unremarkable.
so there's quickly another chance if you mess up and from a viewing point it adds some soap opera rivalry and polemics.

a friend on mine trained for the Dublin marathon and got injured and really suffered. her time was far off what she was capable of. some years later she is still a keen runner and cycles but AFAIK didn't bother with marathons after that.

if someone eats properly and does some moderate exercise and is near there correct weight, then unless they have elite level ability personally I'd leave it that.

overall though it's empowering to challenge yourself to do this - maybe that's where the buzz is.

if I ran, I'd wreck my feet, get pains in my shins and get a hernia sooner or later. I have a track record with those three.
I couldn't image doing a marathon in under 5:30-6 hours in my best days as slim 20 year old.
'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back