The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (5 Viewers)

The above version is much better than the LP. Sounds better faster.

Not a fan but Richard Lloyd's Alchemy is the best thing I've heard by any of them. The Television wouldn't have worked without him.

Verlaine always looked really young.

Not a fan but Richard Lloyd's Alchemy is the best thing I've heard by any of them. The Television wouldn't have worked without him.

Bass is more prominent too.

I think it originally was shorter on the first edition of the album? Anyway you're quite wrong of course, if anything it should be longer
I'd argue it's one of the small handful of rock/pop songs that fully justifies a ten minute runtime..

The 1978 live recordings from when they were touring Adventure and copied the Rolling Stone's amplifier / distortion setup are a good bit beefier than the album recordings, if that helps tip the scales for anyone:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know and liked Marquee Moon the song for YEARS but didn't actually bother with the album, bar a single cursory listen aged about 19, until album club.

With all the NYC punk context long stripped from it it's now just a cool sounding album imho, I don't really know how anyone couldn't like it, quite accessible sounding to my ears, unless of course it's that's very accessibility that's putting you off.

Maybe read up a bit more on the context if it all feels a bit underwhelming?

Its an album thats tied to a very specific place and time personally for me.
A mate of mine who had acquired a pile of records in a charity shop (mainly 70s prog) swapped me an original UK pressing in lieu of payment for a photoshoot for his band...
was living in a flat off nelson st.. hot summer days, and evenings... was going out with a crazy spanish photographer at the time..that record was the soundtrack for a good bit of it. Also always associated with the taste of bran flakes for some reason.

You think Alchemy is better than Marquee Moon, or do my eyes deceive me?

PS - Lloyd’s autobiography is a rollicking good read.

You think Alchemy is better than Marquee Moon, or do my eyes deceive me?

PS - Lloyd’s autobiography is a rollicking good read.
if can narrow it down to anything it's some proggy guitar parts and the production by Glyn Johns that aren't to my taste. remember this is ''the bands I don't get thread''.
like UV I acknowledge they were a band that postively influenced many people I like but for whatever I am too bothered with them. it happens sometimes.

Listening to the Richard Lloyd album for the first time ever. My first question is who let this 1965 chorus in in 1979? Had to double check the opening song wasn't a cover.

Listening to the Richard Lloyd album for the first time ever. My first question is who let this 1965 chorus in in 1979? Had to double check the opening song wasn't a cover.
Richard Lloyd comments on his own LP on youtube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back