Minor Pleasures (6 Viewers)

A lad walked into the pub tonight wearing a chainmail vest. Proper medieval chain-mail.

Over that he had a leather motorcyclists jacket. He did not have a motorcycle.

That's all good, I and my drinking buddy were quite impressed with the chain-mail really. My mates a welder, the mail was pretty cool.
We were less impressed with the heavy leather jacket over that. Less impressed again with the adidas tracksuit bottoms he had on.

Then our knight in hipster armour asks my drinking colleague (who was quite drunk) "are you ok man?". The fucking temerity of it. He just just looks at me and we both burst out laughing.
We both grab our drinks and have a swig.
"Basic" he said.
We laughed again.
Then chain mail guy left, on his horse, or motorcycle, or jogging route, or whatever bullshitmobile he sauntered in on.
latest

I was back in the pub tonight, didn't see the chap. There were other hipsters, and genuinely I don't mind them. I mean, they can be annoying. But young people discovering themselves or whatever, as long as they're contributing to the local economy. It's good, it's really good, even if I'm too old and uncool to get it.

I can only assume my man died in battle somewhere between Peckham Rye and Shoreditch.

It was funny shit though.

Great interview with Kelley Deal here

Kelley Deal: ‘I threw a TV out of a hotel window with Nirvana’

I can’t believe I’m going to admit this, but at the Breeders ATP I was very excited and went over to Gang of Four’s table and started talking about how much their band meant to me. Eventually one of the guys went: “I think you have us confused with a different band.” I walked away thinking “oh fuck” and told Steve Albini I’d confused Wire with Gang of Four. He said: “Don’t worry. I’m sure that happens all the time.”

Also kinda mad how she looks about 20 years younger now than she looked 20 years ago.

So, at this point maybe I should make a new thread. But tonight was particularly hilarious, and good fun, it must be said.

A bunch of punk bands played, I simply wasn't feeling it tonight. Too loud, I'm too old. So I walked past, looked in, wasn't into it, and walked to an old man pub down the road. Then I got tired of the old men in the old man pub and their bullshit, so walked back to the usual.

And the loud bands had finished, so BANG, whatever DJ they booked for after those hardcore punk bands, decided to play "Don't stop me now" by Queen, just as I walked in. Quite an intro, I was pleased. Danced like a dickhead. Piano Rock, said a grey haired man at the bar, I said, how do they follow this up? I'm Still Standing by Elton John. Then Love Shack. The dancefloor was full of beautiful people having a beautiful time. In the background, was punks and cunts, who didn't know what to do with themselves.

It was actually astounding. I stood by the door, watching all the kids having a great time. Genuinely, these people were loving it so much, and I didn't want to ruin their fun, that they thought I was a bouncer. I was enjoying watching them enjoying themselves, but I didn't want to join in because I'd just ruin the buzz with my shitty dance moves

But all the black-shirted, tattoos on the scalp and neck guys that were there to see the earlier bands were just not knowing what to do with themselves.

Then they played a bit of The Prodigy and everyone got involved. And it was beautiful.

In other news, estimated bills, a bit of a pain in the arse. I've been stung before, but not this time.

After months of messing around with my old gas and electric supplier, they've finally sent me my final bill for my old gaff. It's been a pain, I have had literally over a hundred automated letters from them. Sometimes they'd post me two letters on the same day with different amounts on each.

I could have been more organised about it myself. But, reasons. I wasn't.
'
Anyway: "Your final balance is -£1,052.38 in credit. Your balance will be credited to you in full in the next ten working days to the account details we hold for you."

They'd obviously overestimated the bill for the whole time I was living there. I remember we tried to tell them that they needed to adjust their estimates, and the kid on the other end of the phone couldn't do anything about it. Perhaps the previous tenants had a growhouse going.

So, at this point maybe I should make a new thread. But tonight was particularly hilarious, and good fun, it must be said.

A bunch of punk bands played, I simply wasn't feeling it tonight. Too loud, I'm too old. So I walked past, looked in, wasn't into it, and walked to an old man pub down the road. Then I got tired of the old men in the old man pub and their bullshit, so walked back to the usual.

And the loud bands had finished, so BANG, whatever DJ they booked for after those hardcore punk bands, decided to play "Don't stop me now" by Queen, just as I walked in. Quite an intro, I was pleased. Danced like a dickhead. Piano Rock, said a grey haired man at the bar, I said, how do they follow this up? I'm Still Standing by Elton John. Then Love Shack. The dancefloor was full of beautiful people having a beautiful time. In the background, was punks and cunts, who didn't know what to do with themselves.

It was actually astounding. I stood by the door, watching all the kids having a great time. Genuinely, these people were loving it so much, and I didn't want to ruin their fun, that they thought I was a bouncer. I was enjoying watching them enjoying themselves, but I didn't want to join in because I'd just ruin the buzz with my shitty dance moves

But all the black-shirted, tattoos on the scalp and neck guys that were there to see the earlier bands were just not knowing what to do with themselves.

Then they played a bit of The Prodigy and everyone got involved. And it was beautiful.
I remember a thrash metal gig where circle pits were the main feature. The gig was followed by a disco. The slowest grooviest circle pit formed to Booker T and the MGs Green Onions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well it wasn't quite like that. At least not until The Prodigy came on.

More an incongruous bit of scheduling, and the DJ that came on after the noisy punk bands brought all her mates, who were a very em, young, non-binary blah de blah crowd. And well done, Sexy AF, the whole lot of them. I've spoken to enough gig promoters who've complained about acts not bringing people, but this one did and they took over the place. Last night was this odd clash, which I found utterly hilarious. I always find this pub hilarious, but especially so that night.

I love those tour of my mancave / music room videos.
Serious amount of gear.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got a really excellent package of @Cornu Ammonis' musical offcuts today. Mostly Autechre, but also some bonus contemporary composer stuff, none of which I know, and a Residents dvd which i am very much in two minds about watching, in a good way.
Absolute peak minor pleasure, possibly major pleasure, not sure, decided to underplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back