Moving to the sticks (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

I never had broadband until 2008 (and didn't understand what it was until 2007).
In case anyone has never used Youtube on a landline connection, it would take 20 minutes to load an average length music video and was obviously very expensive.

there are places within a few miles of me that still have broadband problems.

500m in one direction from the end of my road, and 500m in the other direction is where the fibre stops for me.

Every now and again I get a call from someone wanting to "discuss my internet options" and I just give them either my eircode or my phone number and that sends them away.

Come back to me in 2024, maybe.

About 30 years ago when I left home every time I visited people would ask "Are you in Dublin all the time?" (it's the local colloquialism). I used to be smug in my belief that they imagined I was up to all sorts of "front page of The Sunday World" shenanigans in the big smoke.

Years later when the younger generation started traveling the world and doing extraordinary things I felt like such a failure when people would ask me that. It felt like such a judgment.
I just watched a video of a lad I was in school with, giving his acceptance speech after winning his golden globe. I guess he did better than me.

I would love love love to get one of these gaffs for 50k

And fix it up
You'd need to be retired or unemployed or whatever situation where you have all your time free

No septic or electricity here by the looks of it, but you'd find something like this with hookups in place

Or this, but these auction guide prices are bollocks usually, I think

And fix it up
You'd need to be retired or unemployed or whatever situation where you have all your time free

No septic or electricity here by the looks of it, but you'd find something like this with hookups in place

Great idea, but those gaffs are probably wrecked structurally.

Great idea, but those gaffs are probably wrecked structurally.
I get you
But what's the structure there really on that first one? Four block walls?
Inject a DPC at ground level.
You could throw up a few block piers at intervals.
Or if need be, post some vertical light steel at the corners - there'd be all sorts of creative ways of making permanent shoring/support look attractive.

This site is huge though. You'd only fix up this place til you moved a container in and made your real gaff :-D

And fix it up

A couple of houses near me were featured in the RTE show were moving to boggerland is presented as being really cheap.
in one case the house was listed at 70,000 about 2 years ago on TV but it sold for 170,000.
the other house featured on the show was a similar story - add a 100,000 onto what they said on the programme.

in Nenagh for a long time you could get modern 2 bed flats for as little as 50,000 and terraced houses for renovation in the centre of town were as little as 30 to 45,000.

the bottom of the property market here was years after Dublin about 2014-17 in North Tipp.
even in 2018-19 those 2 bed flats could be gotten for 60,000. now there are few very for sale and listed at 130,000.
nearly everything sells very quickly now. less than a month at most.

my dad is from carndonagh and the amount of empty or derelict property in the town is nuts.
IIRC someone gave two houses to the local church just so they could be knocked to create a new car access to the place.
there's a huge amount of buildings empty upstairs in the centre of every town or I go to.
an awful waste.

A lot of these super 'bargains' are in towns that are essentially dying on the vine due to being bypassed and supermarkets coming into existence.

Note the occasional 100 year old house just doesn't have a foundation as such

Agreed

But you could find something that suited your circumstances
And your DIY abilities

Agreed

But you could find something that suited your circumstances
And your DIY abilities
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to it, one day.

Many moons ago, the lads in the band came down to my grandparents (empty) gaff and we recorded a couple of songs and drank loads and played Wi a lot and just generally had a nice time. The Dublin boys couldn't believe it. Pointing at sheep. One of them had never seen someone take ashes out of a fireplace.

But it took my uncle two days and many bags of turf to make the place habitable before we arrived. He never said anything about it, but he put a lot of effort into making us wanker Dublin muso's comfortable.

That was grand for a couple of days. But he had gotten a surveyor in, and that guy said it'd be cheaper to knock it down and rebuild it.

It was the grandparents house, so we couldn't do that. Not that I or anyone other than my uncle had a say in it. He inherited it. There was of course a bunch of cousins eyeing up the site, it's beautiful, but no one wanted to touch granny and grandads house. Just not right. And just wouldn't be the same.
But now it's just still there, getting shitter and shitter.

My dad and uncle still use it for farming stuff. But when I saw the house itself over xmas, man my heart sank. I know the place is wrecked really, but it really seemed a shame. We're not that kind of family. Apparently we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back