Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

Argentina have been kinda chaotic the whole time, bit of luck and a bit of bias has helped them through. Croatia were a bit dead on their feet but Messi doing about 3-4 perfect things per game has been the difference the whole time.

As far as TV goes i'm not huge on serieseses but tangible things that are happening in real time appeal to me more and more.

Messi fanboying my way through this anywhoooo

Thought this was an interesting read

On the Morrocco team, on their Arabness, on their Africanness, on their own particular uniqueness and how all the concepts are intertwined.

Mostly it filled out my own very limited knowledge on the subject and made me reconsider what I was projecting on them because of it.

It doesn't touch on the Western Sahara issue which I know next to nothing about, but I understand it's a "nasty business."

Final the day has arrived.
Many hurling obsessed folks locally have been complaining about All Ireland Club Final being at 3 pm today for ages.
The GAA knew the WC Final was on at the same time for months and did nothing.

Final the day has arrived.
Many hurling obsessed folks locally have been complaining about All Ireland Club Final being at 3 pm today for ages.
The GAA knew the WC Final was on at the same time for months and did nothing.
This post is WRONG.
SORRY. Correction -
The semis are on today and the club All Ireland hurling final is on January 22.

Ballyhale v Ballygunner is 3:30 pm today.
Almost a derby the clubs are about 20 miles apart. Would have been a great final.
Other semi is on first at 1 pm -
Dunloy v St. Thomas's

Another one of the pub people said, with a tone I couldn't define while watching the awards:
"You see that referee yeah? He's my ex".

It wasn't true, but she's an actor and it was just possible enough to be believable. Hilarious.

Watched all the Argentina games in this thing apart from the one they lost. Messi's sense of when to do something and how to do it in game are unbelievable.

The Argentina goalkeeper and defense were outstanding though. Kept Mbappe quite for almost a whole game. Saw a stat that no french player entered the Argentine box in the First half. Also the goalkeepers last ditch near impossible save, followed by goading France through the shootout clinched it for them. And he's funny.

The slightly chaotic nature of Argentina came close to undoing them, but they continually carried themselves as a team not in the mood to lose anything.

Argentina were the best team in the tournament, after losing the first game to the Saudis. Actually that means the Saudis are the real World Champions now doesn't it?
Argentina's success was a bit similar to Italy's at the Euros in that it was built on defence and game management. They were quite different from Italy though, because they do have that hilarious knack of falling apart for the last 15 minutes out of 90 in a game. It's funny, they absolutely controlled the game before that, then it's like they thought the ref had already blown the whistle or something and just stopped playing for 10 minutes.
It's easily the best Argentina team we've seen since the days of God though, not actually in terms of superstar player quality, but rather in the sense that they have a bunch of good players with some really good players and Messi, but they all just work their arses off for each other and trust each other. The Irish Maradona is a great example of this, he currently plays for Brighton but he was one of the players of the tournament because his work rate had him in the right position so many times. He won't be playing for Brighton for long.
The thing that is most similar between that Argentina and the Italy euro winning sides is the sheer practical nature of the teams - none of those players were out there to play Brazilian samba flashy football, they were simply about spreading the ball around the pitch effectively, finding any route to goal, and stopping the opposition from playing. Actually Didi Hamann said it perfectly in the build up to the final - Argentina make other teams play their game, and then they dominate. Italy did the same thing in the euros, even when they were struggling in the final they eventually turned the match into their kind of game (which means a lot of dirt with them) and it was glorious.
I fuckin love that Argentina team.

Smith and Van Gerwen both going for a 9 dart finish in same leg in Worlds Final last night.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A colleague of mine was working at this. He's seen many a game. And he's no fan of this particular team, or the site. But he made a point of sharing this.

A colleague of mine was working at this. He's seen many a game. And he's no fan of this particular team, or the site. But he made a point of sharing this.

Wow. what a set up and finish - those left footers.

never heard of Theo Archibald but apparently he's normally a right winger but can play on the left. he was at Celtic but never got a game.

Orient have had a tough time in recent years. they're less than 2 miles from the Olympic Stadium and West Ham moving in there has put the club in jeopardy.
Brisbane Road is a cool old school ground. it looks a bit Subbuteo stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back