Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

So I'm up to something.
Hang on ... are you working for the CDC?

On ex-miltary lads - a very dear friend of mine actually served in the north with the paras. He's lived in Ireland 25 years and told very few people about this, obvs. He's not the sort of fella who has Done Things though - as far as I can tell he spent most of his tour of duty sitting in watchtowers smoking hash and listening to Ozric Tentacles

i was once talking to an irish american ex-marine, living in dublin working in the security department in the US embassy. he was telling the story with a large amount of self-deprecation, but was saying he was delighted that he was called up from the reserves to serve in the second gulf war - 'FINALLY i get to see some action' - and was put on cadaver duty.

Hm. I dunno. I'm not sure if it becomes more or less grandiose. Possibly less.

I know I normally tell people "I'm a coder", the second time they ask. The first time I pretend not to hear. (Same as I do when people ask me where I'm from, first question just doesn't get noticed. The second time I say "Dublin", that's usually the end of that conversation, and they just keep thinking I'm American anyway.)

If they ask specifically where I work for I can normally pass that one off with "medical stuff, this thing in America, that's why I'm working strange hours". Then I'll move the topic onto working strange hours.

I'll not really tell people exactly where I work because it's controversial in some people's minds, although if people are properly having a go at "vaccines" or "Fauci" or something I might just tell them after a while of them mouthing off to see how they react.
The problem is, in the country people know you're up to something. Like I'm clearly not working on the trawlers. Or a farm. So I'm up to something. If you say nothing, next thing you're working for the CIA. So, you have to say ENOUGH to keep things sane, but not so much as you're going to end up with a severed horses' head in your bed sort of thing.
I WORK IN COMPUTERS

I make the wee boxes that musicians step on to make their instruments sound funny/shite/louder/weird.
i'm thinking of doing a JohnnyRaz and trying my hand at an electric guitar body - any easy way to build simple effects into the guitar itself?
i assume they'd need a power source, but that could be a 9v battery.

it's more idle curiosity than actual plans, to be fair.

i'm thinking of doing a JohnnyRaz and trying my hand at an electric guitar body - any easy way to build simple effects into the guitar itself?

I generally suggest not putting effects in the body but if you do the main thing make sure the effect circuit is shielded imo. 9V battery is good for power. Probably need a stereo output jack that grounds the power through the ring so the battery doesn't die when not in use. Do need to plug out the guitar though. Then a dpdt toggle for effect bypass.

I'd say boosts and eq and even modulation are good but fuzz not so much.

anyway, back on topic, one of the things i'd miss is not being able to hop on a bus for a short trip to get to a bunch of decent restaurants; we're a couple of km here from drumcondra or phibsboro and it's nice to head out for a meal and walk home with little fuss.

cheers, was just idle curiosity; partly because the amp i use (my wife's one) is a marshall class 5 which has no overdrive so needs a pedal for any distortion, unless you crank it hard.

A nice clean or even dirty boost into the Class 5 would be killer. Super Hard On circuit is nice and easy and would work great.

anyway, back on topic, one of the things i'd miss is not being able to hop on a bus for a short trip to get to a bunch of decent restaurants; we're a couple of km here from drumcondra or phibsboro and it's nice to head out for a meal and walk home with little fuss.

This is the difference between regional towns like what most people in this thread seem to talking about moving to and the actual sticks aka the countryside/middle of nowhere.

it's often fun to ask your parents to describe to you what they think your job is.
'computers' usually covers it.

ha, my mother was describing me as a professor at Trinity at one point... I had to disabuse her of that notion. To be fair, my mother, while an intelligent and capable person, left school at 14 to mind her younger siblings and then work in a wollen mill. so not having the context isn't really her fault.

I think to some extent confusion about what jobs people do comes from not understanding the context of what in many cases relatively new things.

it's more idle curiosity than actual plans, to be fair.
you can buy little modular yokes.. which would probably be the easiest way to do it.

but otherwise 100% what the @moose said.

would suggest if you're going down the guitar body route to get a cheap kit first, it will give you a hands on sense of how it all goes together as well as potentially a template to work off of. You'll also be able to Practice set ups etc.

This is the difference between regional towns like what most people in this thread seem to talking about moving to and the actual sticks aka the countryside/middle of nowhere.

For sure.

From where i am now.

3km to nearest shop
3.5 km to nearest (4 service a day) bus station.
10km to actual real shop that isn't a petrol station / fast food / restauraunts / bus on a route / things people think are normal.

I've lived in a regional town and it's a very different thing.

For sure.

From where i am now.

3km to nearest shop
3.5 km to nearest (4 service a day) bus station.
10km to actual real shop that isn't a petrol station / fast food / restauraunts / bus on a route / things people think are normal.

I've lived in a regional town and it's a very different thing.

Yeah for sure. I see people basically describing our home towns and going that ain't the sticks.

Re rural living

We are getting broadband today finally.

There are houses within 1km without running water
I never had broadband until 2008 (and didn't understand what it was until 2007).
In case anyone has never used Youtube on a landline connection, it would take 20 minutes to load an average length music video and was obviously very expensive.

there are places within a few miles of me that still have broadband problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back