Moving to the sticks (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

When I lived in another city, my Dad came to visit me and we went to this downtown market place with a lot of glass buildings
There was a crowd gathered around a horribly distressed and injured bird. The broom & pan cleaner guy was being implored to put it out of its misery, but he was taking a work-to-rule approach to the whole thing.
I went off to find someone who would help.

Unknown to me, my Dad stepped forward to do the right thing and break the bird’s neck. But as Dylan said, he “used a little too much force” and pulled the bird’s head off.
Blood spurted everywhere and the bird’s headless body sprang back to life and flapped in a wide bloody circle while the last of its life force left its form.
This is the scene I returned to, with the sound of screams, and a woman sobbing into her husband’s shoulder.
And my Dad was there with literal blood on his hands. Still no one knew what to do next.

Enter the silent jobsworth cleaner guy, who wordlessly scooped up head & body in his pan, and dropped the mess in a bin.

The crowd dissipated, but all of them looking over the shoulder at my Dad; who was really the hero of the piece.

We went for coffee and cleaned my Dad's hands with napkins.

Just putting it out there

If you move to the sticks are you ready to accept that the majority of your sparsley dispersed neighbours like fianna fail, fine geal and right wing wierdos. They'll hate cyclists either sectrely or openly and largely shop in dunnes because of foreign german bad shop no explanation

If you move to the sticks are you ready to accept that the majority of your sparsley dispersed neighbours like fianna fail, fine geal and right wing wierdos. They'll hate cyclists either sectrely or openly and largely shop in dunnes because of foreign german bad shop no explanation
haha, well where I'm looking to move they're mad on the shinners, there's 2 lidls, 2 aldis, and they're busy the whole time. There is also a very vibrant cycling club, though acknowledged the majority are probably h8rs outside of that.

They will moan that the German shops have no toilets

I didn't notice until now, but since I've arrived politics hasn't been a thing at all. The main centers of conversation by here seem to be:

1) Who's riding who, (largely fiction).
2) What building is going on where, are there new gaffs going up?
3) Feuding and fighting. X did Y to Z, I need to take a side here.
4) A select few locals who provide endless interest. Generally these would be wealthy, but scandalous will also suffice (see Riding section above). Or they could simply be new to the area.
5) The fecking gulls / gannets / various other birds that are getting up to stuff.
6) Something eventful that occurred in the 1900s to your man's father / on that bit of land /etc, when the Brits were getting fucked out of the place.

Someone I know moved back to the sticks a while ago and couldn't get over that the people he worked with talked non-stop about what the priest had said or done that week

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back