Running? (1 Viewer)

run this post over to the horn thread, you dirty divil
I can't unread this from her profile

and has a busy family life with two young kids.

Busy Mammys are even less interested in my horn than ladies with actual time on their hands

The fantasy has to have some foundation in reality! (for me)

Undeniable gorgebag though

o5a9393-diver-thumb-1572883435.jpg

So you've been putting in the miles... I was wondering where you had got to.

Been out there doing the thing, man.
Closing in on a Boston Qualifying time - which is like the gold standard for amateur hacks like me - most recent race I was 58 seconds out. I traveled out to Philadelphia and ran a 3:25:58 there.
So I am getting close

But more than that, I am enjoying the practice. I am enjoying the discipline. Of what all these accumulated hours make me. Running is fun now.
The results will take care of themselves.
The races are just a celebration of my work, a party for my good habits :)

Been out there doing the thing, man.
Closing in on a Boston Qualifying time - which is like the gold standard for amateur hacks like me - most recent race I was 58 seconds out. I traveled out to Philadelphia and ran a 3:25:58 there.
So I am getting close

But more than that, I am enjoying the practice. I am enjoying the discipline. Of what all these accumulated hours make me. Running is fun now.
The results will take care of themselves.
The races are just a celebration of my work, a party for my good habits :)
my friend qualified for Boston a few years ago. she ran just under the four hours required but was about 60 at the time. she was a late comer to running. she's a bit of a legend.

my friend qualified for Boston a few years ago. she ran just under the four hours required but was about 60 at the time. she was a late comer to running. she's a bit of a legend.
That is a phenomenal achievement, and I have massive respect for your friend
Especially finding this ability late in life; it's gotta be massively rewarding.

These are the current times. They are doable for a good many people, but you have to really want it AND do the work.

1671233395428.png

That is a phenomenal achievement, and I have massive respect for your friend
Especially finding this ability late in life; it's gotta be massively rewarding.

These are the current times. They are doable for a good many people, but you have to really want it AND do the work.

View attachment 16485
the furthest I've ever walked was about 18 miles it took me about 4:50. the halfway point was a hill of 470 metres. I only used to do that about once a year and don't see myself doing it again!

the furthest I've ever walked was about 18 miles it took me about 4:50. the halfway point was a hill of 470 metres. I only used to do that about once a year and don't see myself doing it again!
All you have to do is want it
Everything can flow from there

I'll likely never play the guitar. It's something I thought I would eventually pick up, but I clearly just don't want it badly enough to put the work in.

So I get when people say "I could never run a marathon" or something like that - I know they could. Most anyone could.
They just don't want it in the same way. Like me and the ol' guitars.

What running and swimming has taught me is the phenomenal gains that can be made over time with committed practice
I knew this already on an intellectual level, but to live it has been truly illuminating for my life

Last edited:
All you have to do is want it
Everything can flow from there

I'll likely never play the guitar. It's something I thought I would eventually pick up, but I clearly just don't want it badly enough to put the work in.

So I get when people say "I could never run a marathon" or something like that - I know they could. Most anyone could.
They just don't want it in the same way. Like me and the ol' guitars.

What running and swimming has taught me is the phenomenal gains that can be made over time with committed practice
I knew this already on an intellectual level, but to live it has been truly illuminating for my life
I ain't very motivated now.
I did 140+ walks this year but only covered less than 750 miles.
A few years ago I would do 1,300-1600+.
It's fun but never serious exercise.

Eating properly is really hard.
It takes me up to 4 hours per day.
Eating loads of carbs takes less than half an hour per day.
And I have to piss at least twice as much eating lots of veg.

How does eating properly take 4 hours per day?
shopping, cooking, washing up, two hours with food in my mouth and pissing twice as much.

I used to eat about a 7 litre pot of cooked mixed veg* plus uncooked: 100-200g of spinach and a few courgettes every day when I was 12 or 13 stone.
PLUS normal amounts of other food on top of that e.g. beans, fruit, 150-200g oatmeal, 2 litres water etc.
I don't eat junk food or snack stuff. but I love carbs!
I've been a vegan since 1993.

I am on anti psychotics and they make me feel hungry a lot.

from 1994-96 I ate no veg and drank a litre of orange juice (plus little or no water) everyday and always weighed under 12 stone.
I started on medication in August 1996 and gained 20 lbs in 4 months.

today I ate 800g of oatmeal plus 6 slices of bread and NO veg.
that's a 15 stone diet for ya. hardcore exercise ain't for me. eat loads of veg and water or... bust.

*mixed veg = cabbage, celery, broccoli, sprouts, carrots, spinach etc.

I am on disability benefit but the three major disabilities I have are:
- feeling hungry (and overweight)
- spitting and drooling a lot when I talk
- having to shit several times a day
the first two are definitely side affects and since the third problem started in autumn 1996, I believe
it is another side affect.

shopping, cooking, washing up, two hours with food in my mouth and pissing twice as much.

I used to eat about a 7 litre pot of cooked mixed veg* plus uncooked: 100-200g of spinach and a few courgettes every day when I was 12 or 13 stone.
PLUS normal amounts of other food on top of that e.g. beans, fruit, 150-200g oatmeal, 2 litres water etc.
I don't eat junk food or snack stuff. but I love carbs!
I've been a vegan since 1993.

I am on anti psychotics and they make me feel hungry a lot.

from 1994-96 I ate no veg and drank a litre of orange juice (plus little or no water) everyday and always weighed under 12 stone.
I started on medication in August 1996 and gained 20 lbs in 4 months.

today I ate 800g of oatmeal plus 6 slices of bread and NO veg.
that's a 15 stone diet for ya. hardcore exercise ain't for me. eat loads of veg and water or... bust.

*mixed veg = cabbage, celery, broccoli, sprouts, carrots, spinach etc.

I am on disability benefit but the three major disabilities I have are:
- feeling hungry (and overweight)
- spitting and drooling a lot when I talk
- having to shit several times a day
the first two are definitely side affects and since the third problem started in autumn 1996, I believe
it is another side affect.
I get you
I try to get most of my cooking done at weekends - big batch of veg, rice, barley and meat
Then overnight oats for breakfast most mornings
I keep a bunch of cooked potatoes in the fridge and can quickly fry them up for a snack with whatever I feel like
You have a few more things going on that I don't have to reckon with though
SOunds like you are on top of it

I fucking love hulled barley.

I get you
I try to get most of my cooking done at weekends - big batch of veg, rice, barley and meat
Then overnight oats for breakfast most mornings
I keep a bunch of cooked potatoes in the fridge and can quickly fry them up for a snack with whatever I feel like
You have a few more things going on that I don't have to reckon with though
SOunds like you are on top of it

I fucking love hulled barley.
If I could get my weight sorted out (routine would help!) I'd have very little to complain about - my life is pretty great otherwise.
I have to take meds and the side affects are the price I have to pay.

I don't get much enjoyment out of food.
But oatmeal tastes amazing - I love it.

Got into this - Cybi Coastal Marathon
They only let 200 runners in (first come)

And I am fucking PSYCHED!!!

26 miles around the coast of Angelsea - roads, farms, beaches, mountains; whatever you fucking got
And I am in it!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ran a 10k earier today/yesterday

Was not confident about it, but it turned out well

I could maybe edge up a bit in the over-50s lads - but there are also some super fucking fast old dudes in there

1673137139722.png

So, a bunch of Sanctuary Runners lads who live in Direct Provision that were running with the ParkRun group in Fairview have been moved to Roscommon

They are trying to organise there - it's a tough old go though
The thing about the sticks is there's endless greenspace, but fuck all public land or parks

Fn5YIw1XkBwIOtr

324942790_1310036396206890_2934634047346541750_n.jpg

Finally got my treatment this morning. Took blood from my arm, span it in a machine, and then injected the platelets directly into the tendon, no anaesthetic, and no pain killers allowed. AGONY!
But delighted to think finally on the road to getting it sorted.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back