Moving to the sticks (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

do you know people in kilkenny? i.e. would you be leaving a 'local' social life, and rebuilding one there?
yeah, the ma is from there. She moved back down at the start of covid so I've been down there a lot since then. And I think its a great city.

Like, Dublin has a lot to offer if you make the effort. But when I'm in Kilkenny I do far more things, because there is far less to do (but still plenty), and it takes a lot less effort. Everywhere is walkable. The air is cleaner. The people are nicer.

I felt much the same way about Dublin when I moved out in 2001. I don't think the same now though, moving out helps you to appreciate it. Plus I also like living in a small(er) town for much of the same reasons you mention about Kilkenny.

What's my point, I don't now. Good luck with the decision.

Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?
I did this a few years ago and don't regret it

By the time we decided to leave Dublin everyone I knew had moved out to the suburbs, started families, and stopped socializing, so there wasn't much keeping us there anymore.

The only thing is I don't know anyone where I live now so have no social life whatsoever. It's good to get to Dublin for the odd gig but that usually involves getting a hotel so it's a rare enough thing.

My girlfriend still has to commute some days and it takes ages and costs a fortune.

I felt much the same way about Dublin when I moved out in 2001. I don't think the same now though, moving out helps you to appreciate it. Plus I also like living in a small(er) town for much of the same reasons you mention about Kilkenny.

What's my point, I don't now. Good luck with the decision.
thanks.

any regrets?

I did this a few years ago and don't regret it

By the time we decided to leave Dublin everyone I knew had moved out to the suburbs, started families, and stopped socializing, so there wasn't much keeping us there anymore.

The only thing is I don't know anyone where I live now so have no social life whatsoever. It's good to get to Dublin for the odd gig but that usually involves getting a hotel so it's a rare enough thing.

My girlfriend still has to commute some days and it takes ages and costs a fortune.
nice one, thanks. This is the thing. I reckon if we pull the trigger and move, there'll be no turning back, so I need to be absolutely sure about it. And Kilkenny is only a little over an hour from the red cow, so commuting a day or 2 a week wouldn't be out of the question either.

one thing i'd love to do would be to buy a house with a load of land and have my own woodland.

but when we bought this place (in 2012) one of the primary rules i had in our checklist was that it had to be walkable to a shop, even just one you could buy milk or butter in. so we got a suburban (inside M50) house with a decent sized garden.

one thing i'd love to do would be to buy a house with a load of land and have my own woodland.

but when we bought this place (in 2012) one of the primary rules i had in our checklist was that it had to be walkable to a shop, even just one you could buy milk or butter in. so we got a suburban (inside M50) house with a decent sized garden.

I'm deeply envious of both your shed(s) and garden. you didn't do too badly!!

I'm currently in a housing estate with loads around, but not that much is walkable. Traffic can be horrendous and they're still building a shit-tonne of stuff around. I'm by the M50 so thats great, and though I like the gaff I'm in (bought it in 2003) I have no attachment to the area (its not the area I grew up in).

I was thinking about what my requirements were for any new gaff and I realise I spend far more time indoors than outdoors, cos its Ireland, so its the indoor space thats more important for me.

And for context, my current gaff is a 3-bed semi-detached shoebox. It cost 375k in 2003. There are 5-bed gaffs going for similar, or not much more, dough in Kilkenny right now.

I'm deeply envious of both your shed(s) and garden. you didn't do too badly!!
buying in 2012 played into our hands. i reckon we bought only about 3 months after the market hit bottom. buying this place now would be a whole different state of affairs.
we paid under 360k for this place. would probably be near double that now.

Regrets, hmm. Not really from me because I always worked at home and even now my job is in the town. My wife has continued to work in Dublin and had driven a few hundred KM every day and that gets her down.
We were at a gig in Dublin last night and home by 11.30pm but we're not as far as Kilkenny.

Regrets, hmm. Not really from me because I always worked at home and even now my job is in the town. My wife has continued to work in Dublin and had driven a few hundred KM every day and that gets her down.
We were at a gig in Dublin last night and home by 11.30pm but we're not as far as Kilkenny.

yikes... the word "day" above should read "week". Navan isn't that far away from Dublin.

every time I'm back home with my dad I consider moving back to the sticks.
would need to change job and potentially wife as she'd have no great desire to move.
the thing about the job is that the one I'm in is seriously high-pressure and its taking a toll (although I can't complain about what they pay me to do it). With less bills I could take on something a bit less pressurised for a lower salary.

and herself loves the idea of moving out of Dublin. Shes fully remote too and would have better job prospects there than I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back