Bored In Work 1062 (2 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Captain Sensible on Breakfast TV circa 1983. Lloyd Grossman looks around his house and tries to deduce
Who lives in a house like this?

another time they had Vanian on w/ Jimmy Greaves

I played this on the BBC, and was blown away. I think my computer had 32k and a clockspeed of... em, several.

I played this on the BBC, and was blown away. I think my computer had 32k and a clockspeed of... em, several.

The first issue of Zzap64 had “elite on c64” as it’s cover and it was a real HOLY SHIT moment when I saw it in the newsagent on O’Connell street.

The first issue of Zzap64 had “elite on c64” as it’s cover and it was a real HOLY SHIT moment when I saw it in the newsagent on O’Connell street.

It is difficult to explain how mind blowing this thing was.

For me it had no fanfare, no intro, it was in a box, with Planetoid and some class of lazer game thing. I didn't even load it up for a while because I thought it looked a bit weird and hard on the inside cover.

it was dim room, gloomy weekday, might as well give it a try. And next thing you're in an open ended game with no exact objective, just exploring space, freighting drugs around the place. When I saw drugs for sale, and the profit margins that seemed to be available I genuinely thought I might get into trouble here. Like, the entire thing was so alien ALL BETS were off now, apparently I'm a space captain part time drug dealer now, and for all I know this yoke was also onto Irishtown Garda station.

I couldn't get my head around it. It just loaded up, and another world came into being.

Captain Sensible on Breakfast TV circa 1983. Lloyd Grossman looks around his house and tries to deduce

Even after all these years I still can't quite believe he had such a successful, if brief period as a genuine pop star

"Yeah Loyd's trousers look like they've been chewed on once or twice" :quick knowing look to the camera:

Ah here. Nobody needed to go there. Specially at 8 am on a weekday morning boss.

i know there are some people here with big science brains, does that look kosher?

i know there are some people here with big science brains, does that look kosher?

So I'm trying to work this out, in the abstract is says:

> Becks and colleagues showed that exposure to the predatory rotifer Brachionus calyciflorus selected for heritable changes in the rate of formation of multicellular palmelloids in the green alga C. reinhardtii7

then it says:
> In this study, we present experiments in which we used the ciliate predator Paramecium tetraurelia to select for the de novo evolution of multicellularity in outcrossed populations of C. reinhardtii.
Because C. reinhardtii has no multicellular ancestors, these experiments represent a completely novel origin of obligate multicellularity14,15

Which at first glance looks wrong? Like, what they're saying (and calling novel) looks close to what Becks et al have demo'd before. Maybe the keyword is palmelloids, and seemingly palmelloids are transitory. Like it clumps into some sheet like arrangement, and then maybe back to unicellular? I don't completely get what's so new in this work that it warrants a Nature paper is my point, other than the predator is different. But something is, because they got published in Nature.

What they seem to emphasize is: the multicellular stuff is i) stable and ii) obligate. Maybe the palmalate stuff (ie the stuff Becks et al published) sn't stable and obligate? But it is multicellular, and it is heritable.

I don't get why it's published in Nature. But I believe their work.

Looks fine to me but the real test is whether another group can replicate it, like any other finding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back