What gig did you go to last night? (7 Viewers)

Singer/songwriter night in Berminghams in Navan. Lovely little night where people get up and play 2 tunes. Great to se someone just sitting there one minute then they get up and have a totally amazing voice the next.

Oneohtrix Point Never in the NCH. It was great, I loved it even though he was something of a bands-I-don't-get act for me up to now. Then I went upstairs to see Roger Doyle which was a mess because up front the sound was way too shrill and loud for me but farther back the room was full of people chatting at the tops of their voices and security herding people around and people coming and going and milling about. I liked what Doyle was doing but I cut my losses and went home. Didn't like the Haunted Dancehall buzz, it's not for cranks like me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Finished work, went to pub. Didn't expect much. This lot were playing. Missed half the set, and all the other bands.
But what I did get to see, faaaaaaahhhhhhck. I'm sure that link doesn't do them justice. They were so fucking good it was scary. Septuagenarians dancing on tables, wierd Parisian jazz cafe time signatures. Full of surprises. A great tonic it was.

Lou Barlow in Whelan's upstairs.
I hate to leave a gig before it's over but it was already 2.5 hrs in and I was just feeding the parking app. Plus I had a 50min drive home.
Still, it was deadly. Played everything.

Lou Barlow in Whelan's upstairs.
I hate to leave a gig before it's over but it was already 2.5 hrs in and I was just feeding the parking app. Plus I had a 50min drive home.
Still, it was deadly. Played everything.
Thats far too long

Angel Olsen in Vicar St.

Amazing singer, rarely has to push her voice to get it where she wants it to be.

Thought the gig was good. I think the band might have been better suited to just doing stuff off the most recent album,.

Ran into some people I haven't seen since pre covid and stopped for a chat.

A good night.

Bob Dylan in the point on Monday. Fairly hit and miss, as you might expect.

Cavetown last night in Belfast. Very good, and my 17 year old absolutely loved it. A really unusual crowd/vibe though - like just super nice. The guy was saying stuff like "I hope you're all looking after yourselves, and after each other". "I hope all you guys are keeping hydrated" and getting the bouncers to hand out cups of water. "We're going to finish off with a few more rock-y songs, I hope you're not all too tired".

I dunno - like I'm a nice fella myself, but all this overt nicey-niceness made me squirm a little bit. Isn't it babying people a little bit to get bouncers to make sure they're hydrated? The crowd was young (median age maybe 16) but I found the air of infantilization rather odd. One teenager standing near us was wrapped in a rainbow flag and cuddling a teddy bear for the whole show. It was kinda the exact opposite of the hypersexualisation of teenagers everyone clutches their pearls about

Weird for a middle-aged skinny indie crybaby like myself to be able look around a crowd of 1000 people and say "yep, I could take almost anyone here in a fistfight". Probably woulda loved it at 17 myself I suppose, and in fairness by the end of the evening I was pretty much won over

Cavetown last night in Belfast. Very good, and my 17 year old absolutely loved it. A really unusual crowd/vibe though - like just super nice. The guy was saying stuff like "I hope you're all looking after yourselves, and after each other". "I hope all you guys are keeping hydrated" and getting the bouncers to hand out cups of water. "We're going to finish off with a few more rock-y songs, I hope you're not all too tired".

I dunno - like I'm a nice fella myself, but all this overt nicey-niceness made me squirm a little bit. Isn't it babying people a little bit to get bouncers to make sure they're hydrated? The crowd was young (median age maybe 16) but I found the air of infantilization rather odd. One teenager standing near us was wrapped in a rainbow flag and cuddling a teddy bear for the whole show. It was kinda the exact opposite of the hypersexualisation of teenagers everyone clutches their pearls about

Weird for a middle-aged skinny indie crybaby like myself to be able look around a crowd of 1000 people and say "yep, I could take almost anyone here in a fistfight". Probably woulda loved it at 17 myself I suppose, and in fairness by the end of the evening I was pretty much won over
I just checked this dude out on youtube..never heard of him before .

The new dominant force in twee with a dollop of ASMR on top.

I like it! Although I probably won't listen to them again

I'd seen a few people say this was the best Dylan gig they've seen and that he was unusually good. I was surprised as I've seen him three times and the first time (2001!) and awful the others. Last time was with Neil Young, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see him again after the one time I saw him in the point and he was desperate.

I'd seen a few people say this was the best Dylan gig they've seen and that he was unusually good. I was surprised as I've seen him three times and the first time (2001!) and awful the others. Last time was with Neil Young, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see him again after the one time I saw him in the point and he was desperate.
I wouldn't say he was awful - he did a decent job of a few tunes off the most recent album, I guess cos they were written specifically for basic-bar-band and old-geezer-with-shattered-voice. Last time I saw him was nearly 30 years ago so can't really compare ... but the gig I was at last night was one-fifth the price and 500% better

my boss saw him on Monday night in the 3 arena The Point and said it was one of the best he'd seen him in many years and judging by how old and frail he looked, might be his last tour.

i saw him in the point 2001 i think and it was a big MEH from me

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back