What gig didn't you go to last night? (2 Viewers)

The Dustin O'Halloran thing reminds me what an absolute snoozefest SOTL were back in the day live...hate seeing this sort of stuff live.

Would much rather be sprawled out on my bedroom floor listening to this type of thing.

No need to stand awkwardly with a bunch of Guardian readers to enjoy something that is better enjoyed in the comfort of one's own home.

My idea of a good gig is a frontman of a gnarly punk band who walks into the crowd half naked and you're standing there thinking, "is he going to hit me? Is that what I need?"
do you mean the Whelans gig circa 07?

that was definitely a gig of diminishing returns. Mind-blowing for the first 50 mins or so, then a bit of a chore if you weren't in early enough to get one of the seats.

The NCH gig (and I saw them in Manchester the week before) a few years ago was on a whole other level. That was amazing from start to finish.

Dustin O'Halloran uses the same formula as SOTL/AWVFTS with string quartet accompanying him. I've just seen him the once. It was an afternoon gig in the Sugar Club (Johann Johanson was on the same bill), and it was amazing. And Adam Wiltzie was selling the merch. I felt it would have been a bit too dickish to ask Wiltzie if he'd sign my Dustin O'Halloran vinyls.

then a bit of a chore if you weren't in early enough to get one of the seats
I had one of the seats, it was glorious. I remember the sound of the music in the bar bleeding through the door though, that was a bit annoying. NCH gig was better but I saw them in a fully seated theatre in Boston in between those gigs (at a Kranky birthday party) and it was amazing.

A Winged Victory we’re good the couple (three?) times I’ve seen them but they don’t quite hit the same levels as SOTL. Saw them in the Sugar Club and at least once in the NCH (when Dustin had a broken wrist or arm or something). Don’t think I’ve ever seen Dustin on his own though.

never heard of Dustin O'Halloran until last week.
his clash of ultra American and ultra Irish names is hilarious i.e. imagine being a kid called Dustin in Ireland in the 70's.

is all his music piano stuff? sounds the soundtracks to movies I wouldn't like.

never heard of Dustin O'Halloran until last week.
his clash of ultra American and ultra Irish names is hilarious i.e. imagine being a kid called Dustin in Ireland in the 70's.

is all his music piano stuff? sounds the soundtracks to movies I wouldn't like.
yep, pretty much

He does movie soundtracks too. I think he won an Oscar for Lion.

I had one of the seats, it was glorious. I remember the sound of the music in the bar bleeding through the door though, that was a bit annoying. NCH gig was better but I saw them in a fully seated theatre in Boston in between those gigs (at a Kranky birthday party) and it was amazing.

A Winged Victory we’re good the couple (three?) times I’ve seen them but they don’t quite hit the same levels as SOTL. Saw them in the Sugar Club and at least once in the NCH (when Dustin had a broken wrist or arm or something). Don’t think I’ve ever seen Dustin on his own though.
I've seen them twice in the NCH, once in the Sugar club and once in the Pavilion theatre. Definitely not the same heights as SOTL but still great. The last NCH gig, if you remember it, was just as covid was really kicking off and it was touch and go if it would go ahead. Felt a bit strange to be sitting in a crowd that night, to say the least.

I've seen them twice in the NCH, once in the Sugar club and once in the Pavilion theatre. Definitely not the same heights as SOTL but still great. The last NCH gig, if you remember it, was just as covid was really kicking off and it was touch and go if it would go ahead. Felt a bit strange to be sitting in a crowd that night, to say the least.
Yes, that was it! I remember the atmosphere being really fucking tense every time someone cleared their throat. I had forgotten about the Pavillion too, so that’s four times, not twice!

yep, pretty much

He does movie soundtracks too. I think he won an Oscar for Lion.
Actually I liked Lion!
I rarely watch modern films but that was a mainstream film well done. Especially in recreating India in the mid 80's. Saroo's life story was really compelling and they kept to the facts.
A rare example of a film I can recommend to my mother.

This almost happened with Jeff Parker in the Sugar Club there on Tuesday.

Can't remember how I found out about it now, I think I accidentally clicked adjacent to something I was checking for a show in the UK on songkick.

So, promotion is done for.

It was 20 quid too. Bargain price. Solo. No band. Mostly playing tracks from that Forfolks album.

I think they sold 120 to 140 out of a potential 350 or so.
I heard zero about this. Knew he was playing in Belfast alright and had played in Cork, but assumed they were the only two dates (stupidly). I'm sure if I'd bothered to check his twitter or whatever I would have seen it.

Actually, just searched twitter for "Jeff Parker Sugar Club" - no results. I blame Elon Musk.

And I just checked his twitter, he only retweeted the promoters of the Belfast gig. I now blame Jeff Parker.

I heard zero about this. Knew he was playing in Belfast alright and had played in Cork, but assumed they were the only two dates (stupidly). I'm sure if I'd bothered to check his twitter or whatever I would have seen it.

Actually, just searched twitter for "Jeff Parker Sugar Club" - no results. I blame Elon Musk.

And I just checked his twitter, he only retweeted the promoters of the Belfast gig. I now blame Jeff Parker.
Well, Parker did have this general info reel on ig:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Choice Cuts had an ig post announcing the show on September 20th. But no hustle after that point.

Parker might have been more concerned with drumming up fanfare for his Grammy
nominations.

Bring back poster promotion!

Well, Parker did have this general info reel on ig:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Choice Cuts had an ig post announcing the show on September 20th. But no hustle after that point.

Parker might have been more concerned with drumming up fanfare for his Grammy
nominations.

Bring back poster promotion!

That's my fault for not being on the 'gram I guess. Was probably on Tiktok as well!!

Didn't know it was Choice Cuts promoting, but I just had a gander at their twitter and there's no mention of it there, weirdly.

+1 for more gig posters around the place

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back