What gig didn't you go to last night? (2 Viewers)

What are some must-follow mailing lists and twitter accounts for gig-goers?
whatever about mailing lists, I think twitter is not reliable as you can't be sure stuff that gets posted will even appear on your feed.

foggy notions instagram is about the best one I've seen, though I'm sure there are lots I've never seen

I used to produce/promote 150 gigs a year. For 5 years. A regular twice-weekly night in a venue plus 50 other gigs each year in venues from small galleries to churches to Vicar Street and NCH. Sayin'...

All those gigs and you never aimed to sell out in advance?

For mailing lists, Foggy, Singular, tickets.ie and ticketmaster. Instagram Foggy, Tunnel Punks, , Umack and Brassneck Music (for the decent MCD gigs). Can also search Dublin on Eventbrite for smaller stuff.

All those gigs and you never aimed to sell out in advance?
A sold out show was a lost opportunity, unless you have the choice to move it to a bigger venue. For big commercial promoters, the hit is on the bottom line. For labour of love/diy promoters, it's on the ability to reinvest or subsidise riskier shows.

How much money is made in interest on advance sales is a factor but you're still not "maximising your return" if you get the sums wrong.

A sold out show was a lost opportunity, unless you have the choice to move it to a bigger venue. For big commercial promoters, the hit is on the bottom line. For labour of love/diy promoters, it's on the ability to reinvest or subsidise riskier shows.

How much money is made in interest on advance sales is a factor but you're still not "maximising your return" if you get the sums wrong.

So you're essentially saying it's better to sell 550 of a 1000 cap venue than sell out a 500 cap?

For mailing lists, Foggy, Singular, tickets.ie and ticketmaster. Instagram Foggy, Tunnel Punks, , Umack and Brassneck Music (for the decent MCD gigs). Can also search Dublin on Eventbrite for smaller stuff.

I'd also add the biggies, Aiken, MCD as they do good bands occasionally and are the ones most likely to sell out, plus Selective Memory of course. Sugar Club mailing list can be good for competitions too (I've got freebies in the past that way).

I'd also add the biggies, Aiken, MCD as they do good bands occasionally and are the ones most likely to sell out, plus Selective Memory of course. Sugar Club mailing list can be good for competitions too (I've got freebies in the past that way).

Yeah I find Brassneck is doing all the MCD gigs that I'd be interested in so he's enough for me but I should have included Selective Memory and Aiken and Sugar Club/Choice Cuts for sure..

Yep, tunnel.rats on ig is worth a punt if you want to check out secret punk gigs in giant culverts in Santry.

But you need a passcode to get in.

I just went on Choice Cuts ig account there...they had no post about the Jeff Parker thing...pretty shoddy of them.

Mr. Foggy..nice account with decent posts. Shocked I wasn't following 'em.

Long story short - paper promotion is a thing of the past.

In fairness the real issue is you have to chase down a whole bunch of different routes to find out about gigs,and if someone was to set up a catchall hub for it,half the promoters wouldn't submit gigs because....Facebook and Twitter does enough.

I have been on mailing lists in the past that were more annoying than useful,there'd be one gig or whatever every coupl of years I'd be interested in so I'd unsubscribe.

So you're essentially saying it's better to sell 550 of a 1000 cap venue than sell out a 500 cap?
Maybe in a world without 600 capacity venues. If your motive is commercial, pick your venue to suit your band and set a sustainable ticket price that will maximise revenue.

Even if your motive is less commercial, more altruistic, like, say, all-ages gigs or awareness/protest gigs or Arts Council-subsidised niche music, you still want as many people there as possible.

Maybe in a world without 600 capacity venues. If your motive is commercial, pick your venue to suit your band and set a sustainable ticket price that will maximise revenue.

Even if your motive is less commercial, more altruistic, like, say, all-ages gigs or awareness/protest gigs or Arts Council-subsidised niche music, you still want as many people there as possible.

Yeah I'm talking about Dublin. Don't think there are any 600 cap venues here atm. Couple at 550, Opium and Button Factory, then it jumps to 830 and upwards from there.

I have no solutions but i definitley preffered the old internet.

fb/tw/insta posting gigs is arguably not public information really once you are into crowd generated timelines multiplied by algorthmies.

I didn't go to see Unyielding Love last night. Didn't see Grave Goods either. I did see Rising Damp as a five piece and it was very good.

well, to be fair he was promoting it on his own twitter feed

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I follow him but these never appeared on my timeline cos Fuck Twitter and their bollox algorithms.

The gig was sold out, so it seems plenty of folks did know about it.

There's only one Dustin I'll go and see play live

The Dustin O'Halloran thing reminds me what an absolute snoozefest SOTL were back in the day live...hate seeing this sort of stuff live.

Would much rather be sprawled out on my bedroom floor listening to this type of thing.

No need to stand awkwardly with a bunch of Guardian readers to enjoy something that is better enjoyed in the comfort of one's own home.

My idea of a good gig is a frontman of a gnarly punk band who walks into the crowd half naked and you're standing there thinking, "is he going to hit me? Is that what I need?"

The Dustin O'Halloran thing reminds me what an absolute snoozefest SOTL were back in the day live...hate seeing this sort of stuff live.

Would much rather be sprawled out on my bedroom floor listening to this type of thing.

No need to stand awkwardly with a bunch of Guardian readers to enjoy something that is better enjoyed in the comfort of one's own home.

My idea of a good gig is a frontman of a gnarly punk band who walks into the crowd half naked and you're standing there thinking, "is he going to hit me? Is that what I need?"
I am happy for all sorts of gigs, I’ve seen SOTL three times and would go see them again in a heartbeat. It’s a different thing to the home stereo experience, not better or worse but another way of listening to them. Though being in the same room as a musician actually performing is always rewarding, whether it’s someone like Adam Wiltzie or someone like David Yow.

This reminds me of the 00s when everyone made the same “Sure, they’re probably just checking their emails, lol!” joke whenever anyone used a laptop on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back