What gig didn't you go to last night? (6 Viewers)

I didn’t know about Dustin O’Halloran either. I was on a plane while it was on so knowing about it wouldn’t have helped me go but it really feels like promotion is a dead art.

well, to be fair he was promoting it on his own twitter feed

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I follow him but these never appeared on my timeline cos Fuck Twitter and their bollox algorithms.

The gig was sold out, so it seems plenty of folks did know about it.

If gigs are selling out then the promotor is doing their job right.

Or,possibly. If the gig is selling out and lots of people don't know about it so they possibly could have gotten more money for both themselves and the band. They are not working hard enough.

Or,possibly. If the gig is selling out and lots of people don't know about it so they possibly could have gotten more money for both themselves and the band. They are not working hard enough.
yep, and upgrade to a different venue. The last time D'OH played here he played the Sugar Club, which I reckon holds a lot more than the Pavillion.

Or just the usual people moaning about not knowing who wouldn't have actually gone.

Or just the usual people moaning about not knowing who wouldn't have actually gone.
I know it’s anecdotal but there definitely seems to be an uptick on gigs happening and lots of usual gig goers (at thumped and in my real life circle of friends) not knowing about them. Where is this promotion happening that, as you say, is clearly working if the gig sold out?

Like Cat Power played the other night and aside from a friend telling me about it, it’s non-existent in terms of promotion. Her posts appear in my IG timeline but they’re all related to US politics or old photos.

I know it’s anecdotal but there definitely seems to be an uptick on gigs happening and lots of usual gig goers (at thumped and in my real life circle of friends) not knowing about them. Where is this promotion happening that, as you say, is clearly working if the gig sold out?

Like Cat Power played the other night and aside from a friend telling me about it, it’s non-existent in terms of promotion. Her posts appear in my IG timeline but they’re all related to US politics or old photos.

I'd imagine most promoters along with the ticket companies have mailing lists. I've signed up to a few and follow the promotors I like on twitter and instagram. Can't remember the last time I heard about a gig I would have gone to after the fact.

Whatever gig that was on......3 years since the last one now.
I'm glad they are back, but at the moment I'm not really interested in going to any.
Nothing to do with C**** 19, just....indifference.

There's gigs happening that were announced, promoted and sold out a year ago. That's sometimes why it can be a surprise when they actually happen.
Also things like Maiden sold out in a day or something, so there'll be zero talk of it again.

Disagree. Selling out in advance means you got your ticket price or your venue wrong, at least from a commercial point of view.

Ha. Funny how every promoter I know aims to sell out their gigs in advance but you know better of course.

This almost happened with Jeff Parker in the Sugar Club there on Tuesday.

Can't remember how I found out about it now, I think I accidentally clicked adjacent to something I was checking for a show in the UK on songkick.

So, promotion is done for.

It was 20 quid too. Bargain price. Solo. No band. Mostly playing tracks from that Forfolks album.

I think they sold 120 to 140 out of a potential 350 or so.

Ha. Funny how every promoter I know aims to sell out their gigs in advance but you know better of course.
with others in it purely for the $$

I remember talking to someone who used to promote smaller gigs (including on here) and he told me that bigger promoters are vultures, just out for money, and he often lost acts to those cos he couldn't offer them what they could.

Its not even clear to me who promoted the Dustin O'Halloran gig. I wonder are Pavillion doing it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

• B
  • MacDara
  • Jerry Twig
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back