Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

Here what's the deal with Second Captains, i've never listened.

I'm under the impression it's an Irish sports podcast but that it also encompasses a lot of special guests from politics, the arts and more?

Is it Irish Joe Rogan or Irish woke Joe Rogan or what?

They wouldn't appreciate the JR comparison but you're not a million miles off. They probably have a similar (male dominated) demo, skewing a bit older probably. 30's and 40's rather than his 25-35.

Vast majority of it is just "here's what we think about the sport that was on last night/is on tonight" but they do a "politics" podcast every few weeks, usually just an interview with someone who has written a book the host is interested in.

Often they'll do stuff on social issues using sport as their in to the subject, they've done BLM stuff because of footballers starting to take the knee before matches. And they had an episode about Ahmaud Arbery last week based on an article about how he was a jogger that went into why black people in the US don't typically jog and the privilege related to being a jogger who can be secure of their safety (tragically prescient, they released that on Wednesday before the Ashling Murphy story was known.)

They also did a multipart series on George Gibney last year that was very good.

Haven't listened to this yet but they usually handle the big, non sports topics pretty well.

More about the guests than the regulars in this instance. Who cares what Ken Early thinks about toxxic masculinity?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gave this a listen at lunch when I was on my break.

Thought it was good and is worth a listen.

The sense I got from a lot of the talk in this thread in the past week was that most people accepted that a) something is badly wrong b) men have a role in addressing this, but what exactly is it we should be doing.

There was some suggestions, some big but the a lot of it can be boiled down to "something more than nothing," at least when it comes to shit that gets said in whatsapp groups etc. There was a good point in relation to that, if someone says something shitty in the group chat or posts a problematic meme you might have a situation where you might go "I have a problem with this but I can't bring myself to say it because I'm the only one who has a problem," in a group chat of 20 guys you might have 15 lads all thinking that about themselves.

if someone says something shitty in the group chat or posts a problematic meme you might have a situation where you might go "I have a problem with this but I can't bring myself to say it because I'm the only one who has a problem," in a group chat of 20 guys you might have 15 lads all thinking that about themselves.
This reminds me of a scene in my Da's boyhood home when I as a teen. My Da's brother and his family live there now, and it's always been a place where lots of neighbours call in. We were all sitting around talking shit when one of the neighbours tells some long-winded story where the punchline was the neighbour telling someone to suck his mother's boobs. After the punchline ... silence. Then my Da says "You'll have to do a bit better than that, Willy"

In fairness, my Da was in a fairly powerful position socially in his own house, but still, makes me chuckle thinking of it.

Gave this a listen at lunch when I was on my break.

Thought it was good and is worth a listen.

The sense I got from a lot of the talk in this thread in the past week was that most people accepted that a) something is badly wrong b) men have a role in addressing this, but what exactly is it we should be doing.

There was some suggestions, some big but the a lot of it can be boiled down to "something more than nothing," at least when it comes to shit that gets said in whatsapp groups etc. There was a good point in relation to that, if someone says something shitty in the group chat or posts a problematic meme you might have a situation where you might go "I have a problem with this but I can't bring myself to say it because I'm the only one who has a problem," in a group chat of 20 guys you might have 15 lads all thinking that about themselves.
I’ve definitely been guilty of not pulling people up on stupid or horrible shit that they say because I don’t want to embarrass them or don’t want to make a scene. And it’s something that I know I need to get better at. I always end up complaining about that shit to other people afterwards, instead of to the person who actually said the crappy thing.

One thing I’ll say for the younger generation, from what I’ve seen they are better at calling this stuff out

I’ve definitely been guilty of not pulling people up on stupid or horrible shit that they say because I don’t want to embarrass them or don’t want to make a scene. And it’s something that I know I need to get better at. I always end up complaining about that shit to other people afterwards, instead of to the person who actually said the crappy thing.

One thing I’ll say for the younger generation, from what I’ve seen they are better at calling this stuff out

The stuff about the whatsapp groups landed with me because there is a group, I reckon I'm the youngest one in it, for organising my weekly poker game in the local in the before time that I have muted because it's full of unfunny dadbantz, especially as there's no games. And some of the dadbantz isn't great, and my response to it has been, "this is lame, I'll just mute it and never look at it," but 'I'm still in it.

There was a good point in relation to that, if someone says something shitty in the group chat or posts a problematic meme you might have a situation where you might go "I have a problem with this but I can't bring myself to say it because I'm the only one who has a problem," in a group chat of 20 guys you might have 15 lads all thinking that about themselves.

MV5BMTk0MDEzMjI3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg4NDc3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

@Unicron - do you think those guys are likely to be a danger to women at some point in the future if nobody calls them out? If you do then obvs you need to take action, but ... well, I know everyone says that the-little-things-lead-to-the-big-things, but for me that sounds like the "gateway drugs" argument. Probably everyone who is violent or creepy towards women talks disrespectfully about women but that doesn't mean that your poker group's dadbantz is on the slippery slope to creepiness or violence.

@Unicron - do you think those guys are likely to be a danger to women at some point in the future if nobody calls them out? If you do then obvs you need to take action, but ... well, I know everyone says that the-little-things-lead-to-the-big-things, but for me that sounds like the "gateway drugs" argument. Probably everyone who is violent or creepy towards women talks disrespectfully about women but that doesn't mean that your poker group's dadbantz is on the slippery slope to creepiness or violence.

I don't think we'll agree on this point but i don't really see the little things lead to the big things in terms of the "gateway drug" but more it establishes a baseline of behaviour from where things can spiral out from.

I don;t actually think any of the guys I play poker with are a danger to anyone;s physical safety because of a few memes that are basically "hur hur boobs" but challenging that behaviour might lead to people examining other things they do. Like leering at young wans when we're actually playing or making lewd comments (actually there isn't all that much said to women by them from what I've seen). If it led to fewer occasions where women's nights out left them a bad taste in their mouths because of some stupid prick wouldn't that be good?

Let's remove women and sexism from the discussion for a moment. If some shitty things were being said about another manginalised from power category of people, black people or gay people, wouldn't the right thing to do be to say something if we could muster the courage to say something? I don't see why it should be any different when it's women who are the target.

This guy is a terrifying individual.

It just gets worse and worse till he gets back to his car, and then it gets even worse again.

I missed it on initial viewing, but the girl in question is gay and he's still fixated on relentlessly pursuing her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back