Rings of Power (1 Viewer)

I'm not saying this is the greatest show, and I'm only marginally interested so far(although I'll keep watching because they have 5 seasons planned so hopefully it'll start getting ridiculous) but look man, I stopped reading when he declared Tom Bombadil an "unsuccessful creation." CANCELLED.

Btw, I'm enjoying the Harfoots more and more more now because I'm an idiot who has decided to identify with weak Irish accents.

a
Paywall anyone get the response?

this link should work, basically they didn't think much about it and are shocked, shocked, that anyone would think badly of it

It did get me thinking though, did any Dwarves bar Gimli talk in the original Peter Jackson trilogy? I can't think of any. I was going through the old Hobbit and LOTR cartoons and none of the dwarves have Scottish accents. The only precedent I can find is a character in the Warcraft II computer games, Dwarven Demolition Squads, who do.

It's impossible to think of Dwarf characters in any medium having any accent but Scottish now, and I think it entirely comes from Gimli.

or am I way off here?

I think they (various world of fantasy) were able to get away with it without too many people commenting because the accents never left the UK, but throwing in Ireland... uh oh.

Last edited:
was I alone in being reminded again of apocalypse now when adar spoke of going down the river when he was a boy and smelling the sage.... kinda like kurtz talking about going down the Ohio rover and passing a gardenia plantation

was I alone in being reminded again of apocalypse now when adar spoke of going down the river when he was a boy and smelling the sage.... kinda like kurtz talking about going down the Ohio rover and passing a gardenia plantation
I 100% think you're onto something.

Adar is apparently Sindarin for "Father" while Kurtz comes from the German for "short" so unfortunately no easy link there that I can find.

a

this link should work, basically they didn't think much about it and are shocked, shocked, that anyone would think badly of it

It did get me thinking though, did any Dwarves bar Gimli talk in the original Peter Jackson trilogy? I can't think of any. I was going through the old Hobbit and LOTR cartoons and none of the dwarves have Scottish accents. The only precedent I can find is a character in the Warcraft II computer games, Dwarven Demolition Squads, who do.

It's impossible to think of Dwarf characters in any medium having any accent but Scottish now, and I think it entirely comes from Gimli.

or am I way off here?

I think they (various world of fantasy) were able to get away with it without too many people commenting because the accents never left the UK, but throwing in Ireland... uh oh.
I think it’s more typical for dwarves to presented as being Nordic in culture - runes, hammers, plaits in their beards, etc. The dwarves of Tolkien were inspired by the Dwarfs of Norse legends. The Scottish thing does seem to be largely Gimli and I can’t remember how he’s written in the LOTR itself (it’s next on my re-reading list). Interesting that the Hobbits in those movies don’t have Scottish accents too as Gimli’s dad is one of Thorin’s party.

I think it’s more typical for dwarves to presented as being Nordic in culture - runes, hammers, plaits in their beards, etc. The dwarves of Tolkien were inspired by the Dwarfs of Norse legends. The Scottish thing does seem to be largely Gimli and I can’t remember how he’s written in the LOTR itself (it’s next on my re-reading list). Interesting that the Hobbits in those movies don’t have Scottish accents too as Gimli’s dad is one of Thorin’s party.
I'd actually forgotten the Dwarves didn't all have Scottish accents, my entire thesis is falling apart

But at least i didn't have to watch The Hobbit movies again

I guess it was just good casting and now it’s a trope and they went with it

a

or am I way off here?

John Rhys-Davies Gimli doesn't actually have a Scottish accent though, it's more that his dialogue is Scottish based.

Tolkien never said everyone was white but that’s certainly how all the artwork makes everyone out to be (most of which came after his death). He uses the term “fair” a lot but most of the time he means it in the sense of “beautiful” rather than pale and blonde.
There's loads of black characters in LOTR. The orcs, the ring-wraiths...

This was not very good. For starters there’s no fuckin way those little boats could hold hundreds of men and their horses.

Some good analysis of the visual effects here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was not very good. For starters there’s no fuckin way those little boats could hold hundreds of men and their horses.
Have been reading that Unmitigated pedantry blog then?

Because since you linked to it I've pretty much read nothing but that. Must go over to that thread and give you aul like or something.

Plan on watching the last episode tonight. I think that's just enough episodes for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back