Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (3 Viewers)

ABP were probably too busy with those court cases.

Tbh though i read all the literature around that plan and for the environmental evaluation they had the same copypaste paragraph in each time it came up, while going into actual detail on everything else. It was either neglected by the engineers, or deliberately obfuscated.

Also one of the TDs pushing for it all the time happend to be a very very close relative to a quarry family.

Ye's all know this. It's just nice and snappy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

“Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old. I went to space, after decades of playing an iconic science-fiction character who was exploring the universe. I thought I would experience a deep connection with the immensity around us, a deep call for endless exploration.
"I was absolutely wrong. The strongest feeling, that dominated everything else by far, was the deepest grief that I had ever experienced.
"I understood, in the clearest possible way, that we were living on a tiny oasis of life, surrounded by an immensity of death. I didn’t see infinite possibilities of worlds to explore, of adventures to have, or living creatures to connect with. I saw the deepest darkness I could have ever imagined, contrasting so starkly with the welcoming warmth of our nurturing home planet.
"This was an immensely powerful awakening for me. It filled me with sadness. I realized that we had spent decades, if not centuries, being obsessed with looking away, with looking outside. I did my share in popularizing the idea that space was the final frontier. But I had to get to space to understand that Earth is and will stay our only home. And that we have been ravaging it, relentlessly, making it uninhabitable."
-- William Shatner, actor

Yes but has he considered that trying to make things better is divisive so it must be avoided at all costs.

Anyway, we'll all be grand, and most of our kids. They'll have to get used to finding reasons to be ok with watching, or avoiding watching, mass-death in the Mediterranean though.

Windows now geolocates you and displays local weather in the taskbar. E.g. today my computer probably would have said '7C Raining'. A lad in India was sharing his screen in a meeting earlier and his taskbar said '25C Smoky'.

So i learnt recently on an episode of Drilled (this one, worth a listen) that all the oil and gas companies have been involved with organizing the agendas for COP conferences from day one and have worked hard to ensure nothing substantive comes from them.

This came about partly as a reaction to their lack of involvement in 1972's Stockholm Declaration, where UN countries agreed, in principle at least, on various environmental norms that do not favour business (e.g. please consider writing laws that say businesses must respect the environment).

So i learnt recently on an episode of Drilled (this one, worth a listen) that all the oil and gas companies have been involved with organizing the agendas for COP conferences from day one and have worked hard to ensure nothing substantive comes from them.

This came about partly as a reaction to their lack of involvement in 1972's Stockholm Declaration, where UN countries agreed, in principle at least, on various environmental norms that do not favour business (e.g. please consider writing laws that say businesses must respect the environment).
Yeah - they’ve been in from the start. It’s getting progressively more blatant

Had read about this previously- but in the mainstream now…
The tobacco industry playbook pt 2 really
I keep thinking of that quite famous Eric Hobsbawm book on the 20th century I read a year or two ago; came out in 1994, doesn't mention the internet once (does mention E-mail though) but looking to the future at the end he brings up the upcoming climate crisis of carbon parts per million in the atmosphere.... AFAIK this book was a bestseller at the time, certainly I'd come across it as a standard textbook in various 20th century history courses as an undergrad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back