Cancelled (4 Viewers)

I love Clapton with the blues breakers,cream, yardbirds( the beck era of yardbirds I'd the best though,and there's way more of it) even like the odd early solo tune.

First couple of Jeff beck records are amazing too.

There's a lot of other players from them who were amazing too. Paul Kossof would be another favourite of mine.

The best thing that ever happened to The Yardbirds was Beck replacing Clapton.
The few songs from 1966 w/ Jeff and Jimmy Page e.g. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago are stellar.

Someone on thumped once correctly described Eric Clapton as a ''talented but soulless''.
He was very overated (especially by his fans who are equally easy targets).
Clapton doesn't bear comparison to the other guitarists mentioned.
His best days were well over 50 years ago - he's been dreadful for long time.
Finally - he's not a likeable person.

is it no surprise Clapton gets the piss taken out him

I love Clapton with the blues breakers,cream, yardbirds( the beck era of yardbirds I'd the best though,and there's way more of it) even like the odd early solo tune.

First couple of Jeff beck records are amazing too.

There's a lot of other players from them who were amazing too. Paul Kossof would be another favourite of mine.

I’ve read/heard that the rod stewart era Jeff beck band was the model for led zep yhat your man Peter greene? Copied when he brought page, plant, Etc together

I agree. John Bonosomma is a modern version of this in my opinion. At least John hasn't said anything offensive yet. He has been accused of privileged white cultural appropriation by twitter, so there is that.

Ha, a mate of mine who loves most of the lads in question is a huge bonamassa fan as well.
To be fair he introduced me to hawkwind and Gallagher, so can’t be too harsh!

Of all people I've heard George Clinton talk very favourably of Clapton, saying that him (Clinton) and his mates had no idea or interest in their own musical history and it took Clapton telling them all about Robert Johnson for them to even become aware of this stuff.
Trying to remember what I was listyening to and some british invasion band went down south and found these old blues musicians they adored - who had since hung it all up
And convinced them to get back in the game, got them slots at festivals and such
Gave them a second career basically

Memory is not what it was

I’ve read/heard that the rod stewart era Jeff beck band was the model for led zep yhat your man Peter greene? Copied when he brought page, plant, Etc together

There are certainly similarities between the two. I believe the Jeff beck LP was a few months before zeppelin too. But the other side to the argument is that they all were mining the same influences.
Who cares,two great records.

But.. But Twitter is the world's conscience? Why else would people spend the entirety of every waking day posting their opinions on there if it's as irrelevant as you seem to be suggesting?
I know it’s almost like those people have been wasting their time and making themselves miserable in the process but are in complete denial about it.

Finally - he's not a likeable person.

Wait a New York Minute, wasn't he nice to Gazza when the latter was in rehab? Bringing him cups of coffee, and such. Daily visits. Clapton volunteered there, and quizzed Gazza regularly. Also he wanted Gazza to come to his island clinic.

I mean, it could all be a work of fiction from the mind of Paul Merson.

I was also recently talking to some working class Dublin duffer he must have been seventy, crowing about all the old acts he saw back in the good old days, outside a charity shop in Crumlin kitted out like a fisherman, hat and all, little white moustache, sunglasses. But whatever was playing over the stereo got us talking about guitarists from the 60s. "Clapton was better on the smack", he announced definitively with a sour puss on him.

What about Hendrix? I asked him. Tricks, he replied dismissively sour puss intact.

[Edit: I don't agree with his bonkers opinion on Hendrix. I was too amused to tackle him on it.]

Wait a New York Minute, wasn't he nice to Gazza when the latter was in rehab? Bringing him cups of coffee, and such. Daily visits. Clapton volunteered there, and quizzed Gazza regularly. Also he wanted Gazza to come to his island clinic.

Richey James had a story about meeting Clapton in the Priory, where Clapton found out he was a guitarist in a band and good naturedly broke the guitars out, which Richey famously couldn't play. His quote is something along the lines of "I found God in rehab, and he wanted to jam"

Anyway, to my knowledge Clapton has never apologised for, nor rescinded, his Enoch Powell comments, he's merely passed them off as a bit of a hilarious drunken disaster by a mad rockstar. There was a surprisingly good Rolling Stone piece on it a while back, Dave Wakeling from the Beat was at the infamous gig and says the rants were all through the night, not a one off moment

Read the 'personal life' part of Eric Clapton's wiki. Horrendous stuff. Nothing about helping Gazza mentioned.
Love Paul Merson - the loveliest guy who suffered the darkest problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The real issue with Kanye is his last record was a fucking mess.
Ruining one of the greatest streaks in recording history.

He's always been fucking bonkers. That's never changed.
People acting like it's new.

Read the 'personal life' part of Eric Clapton's wiki. Horrendous stuff. Nothing about helping Gazza mentioned.
Love Paul Merson - the loveliest guy who suffered the darkest problems.
Just reading the Clapton wiki now, I never read or heard the direct quote about Enoch Powell before or realized that a lot of the fascist rock star stuff in The Wall must have come directly from Clapton (In The Flesh, Waiting For The Worms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back