Best/Worst Britpop era bands (2 Viewers)

My favourite Elastica song is In the City

which lifts its riff from White Riot, and its title from In the City by the Jam, which also nicked a riff from White Riot, but a different riff.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is absolutely miserable.

The terrible slow motion shots reminded me of Stand By Me. Which is even worse.

Fucking Stand By Me! Christ.

There's a Centra round the corner from where I used to live and with close to 100% consistency anytime I was in there for about three years in a row they'd be playing something by Stereophonics, or specifically Stand By Me by Oasis. Those poor workers, forever living in the winter of 1998.

Talk about Shine Volume 2, found the KPM Britpop album, it's fucking amazing

The terrible slow motion shots reminded me of Stand By Me. Which is even worse.

I'd forgotten about this. When you look up the words derivative and formulaic this song plays. It's like a watered down version of themselves.

Might have mentioned this before but Supergrass's drummer released a cool solo album under the name Vangofey. He did a second one under his real name that I didn't hear.

I have a theory that Liam Gallagher doing gigs wearing a parka is actually part of his weight management program. Kind of like a mobile sauna. Combine that with some vigorous tambourine shaking and you have a pretty good work out routine. Hands behind the back for upper body stretches. Its all there.

I'd recommend getting down to the Workman's later where the brother is spinning records later on.

I had this surreal moment years ago when I was at Enablers in Pravda, and afterwards all these Liam devotees in fisherman hats and parkas emerged and descended on the fray.

Surreal. Not worth repeating, but if you're bored out of your tree...and fancy some bad pints at crazy prices. Surreal.

I remember seeing Liam on telly at Leeds festival, thinking "wow, this is something. He can't sing, he can't move. He's like Danny Dyer hosting that game show, he's failed at the move into getting old."

Reminded me of watching some train wreck doco about putting the wheels of Liam back on the track on a plane, the rebuild, mate and kind of thinking, "who is putting time and money into this shite?"

Stand by me? No mate, I'll be standing all the way over there

Does anyone remember Angelica? I don't. Just found out that is was Holly from The Lovely Eggs' old band.

Does anyone remember Angelica? I don't. Just found out that is was Holly from The Lovely Eggs' old band.

They were like my favourite band circa 2000, Melody Maker was on their side. Got their mini album on a "lollipop coloured" 10" and all. That song introduced me to Whistle Down the Wind actually, which is where the title comes from. Some interesting local folk flavours hidden in their music.

Anyway, even back then I didn't bother trying to get anyone else into them as I knew it was going to be too much of an uphill battle. Girls playing guitars and they don't even have the decency to be American, what are you gay or something??

I think they did some NME tour that hit Dublin, I remember someone on here saying they saw them at it.

This was an indie chart number 1 iirc

Last edited:
My favourite Elastica song is the Wire one.

Steve Lamacq was playing this track the other week. Sounds EXACTLY like Colin Newman, but I don't know this Wire track. Truly perplexing, the guitars are chugging along in that Wire way too. The track ends. It was Menswear... I must check them out. There are worse things than being a Wire facsimile.
Yesssss

Yessss

Can't decide if I like Britpop or the well established industry that exists solely to call it out more. Truly an awful time. Need to dig through Louise Wener's book again to see if she had any nasty words about Lush in there.

Miki Berenyi: ‘The claim that Britpop celebrated sassy women in bands was a veneer’

Cannot wait to read this book!

I'm thinking of giving this a read too. Coxon has a book coming out too?

I'm imagining this will be more insightful than Alex James' book which was a toilet-going book if ever I read one.

Imagine a year spent reading Britpop memoirs?

Steve Lamacq was playing this track the other week. Sounds EXACTLY like Colin Newman, but I don't know this Wire track. Truly perplexing, the guitars are chugging along in that Wire way too. The track ends. It was Menswear... I must check them out. There are worse things than being a Wire facsimile.

We were Menswear fans back in the day. Seen them in the Mean Fiddler at some point of the 90s.

I'm thinking of giving this a read too. Coxon has a book coming out too?

I'm imagining this will be more insightful than Alex James' book which was a toilet-going book if ever I read one.
Alex James has two! I read the first, it was pretty charming, he just breezed through the 90s drinking champagne, sleeping with everyone and noticing nothing. A nice life if you can get it.

Imagine a year spent reading Britpop memoirs?
Dream year. They're always just privately educated posh kids feeling completely wronged by the world, usually directly proportional to how successful they were. It'll be interesting to hear Graham's take on that as someone who, after a certain point, just had endless success and hated it.

Dream year. They're always just privately educated posh kids feeling completely wronged by the world, usually directly proportional to how successful they were.
Mmm, this was very harsh and not really accurate, but I suppose I'm constantly surprised when people write their "actually Britpop had a bad side to it" pieces, as if it wasn't obvious at the time.

Mmm, this was very harsh and not really accurate, but I suppose I'm constantly surprised when people write their "actually Britpop had a bad side to it" pieces, as if it wasn't obvious at the time.

When i was a Liam Gallagher a few weeks back, 'Stand by me' was one of the cornerstones of the set, like maybe just before the 'encore' - Which to me would be a firm indicator that to a lot of people, britpop was and essentially is still perfect.

When i was a Liam Gallagher a few weeks back, 'Stand by me' was one of the cornerstones of the set, like maybe just before the 'encore' - Which to me would be a firm indicator that to a lot of people, britpop was and essentially is still perfect.
Jesus Christ. There'll never be enough cocaine in the world to save Be Here Now.

This one doesn't get trotted out quite as much but it's possibly even worse, and they all look JADED in the video. Some amazingly bad clothes, just what's in the bottom of the drawer, yeah that'll do

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back