Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

This is a football column, but it is only kinda about football

It is about the end of oil and English football's participation in it this winter
I didn't put it in the football thread because it's such a goood piece of writing, more than football people should read it

Even just read the graf below
Shortly after midday on 22 November 1963 Aldous Huxley, novelist turned consciousness-expander, was lying in bed dying. And not just dying, but dying on acid. As his wife prepped his final dose of LSD she heard on the radio that something else had happened. John F Kennedy had been shot. This presented a dilemma.

Did Huxley really need to be told, that, by the way Aldous, I know you’re dying on acid right now, but one of the most mind-blowing events of the 20th century has also just happened? In the event, Huxley was allowed to drift off, swaddled in his private ecstasies, undisturbed by half-grasped visions of grassy knolls or the Dallas police. And the reason for mentioning this here is that this image has sprung to mind a lot in recent weeks while being entertained and distracted by professional sport; and at the same time half-following the endless scroll of news and counter-news from what we must, out of habit, call the “real world”.

This is a football column, but it is only kinda about football

It is about the end of oil and English football's participation in it this winter
I didn't put it in the football thread because it's such a goood piece of writing, more than football people should read it

Even just read the graf below
there was nothing really new here - will Barney Ronay be going to Qatar?
no one I know is excited about the 2022 World Cup. the Russian 2018 had brilliant football despite all the reservations before hand but there's no positive legacy for Putin now.
israel, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi (to name but a few) have also been pumping vast sums into sport to white wash their government's crimes and it is rapidly getting worse.

from a moral angle a lot of sport now is like watching golf or Formula 1 from South Africa in the 1980's.

I feel far more sorry for the many Asian people who died as indentured labour in the Arabia than someone here or in the UK who will have to cut down on their fuel bills.
the weather here is not in the league of Ukraine, Poland, Moldova or 'Baltic'.
there are many countries that will suffer massively with no heating and I don't think Ireland or the UK fit the bill.

less traveling and living more modestly should have been normal for decades and now we being forced to do this whether we like it or not.

there was nothing really new here - will Barney Ronay be going to Qatar?

People keep asking football journalists this as though it's some sort of big gotcha. It's their job to go and report from there, the quality of their reporting will be in part up to them and in part up to what their editors let them put in the paper. Some will just do straight football writing, some will try to properly contextualise what's going on there and what's happened and some will just whitewash the whole endeavour.

Ronay, who I'd always say among the English football press pack is one of the best at writing, did allow himself to be a bit seduced by the Russian/England doing well experience and wrote a positive book about it and it does seem since that he's had some regrets about what went into print so that may impact what he writes about Qatar.

Even John Cross got something about poverty and continued racism in South Africa into the Mirror in 2010

People keep asking football journalists this as though it's some sort of big gotcha. It's their job to go and report from there, the quality of their reporting will be in part up to them and in part up to what their editors let them put in the paper. Some will just do straight football writing, some will try to properly contextualise what's going on there and what's happened and some will just whitewash the whole endeavour.

Ronay, who I'd always say among the English football press pack is one of the best at writing, did allow himself to be a bit seduced by the Russian/England doing well experience and wrote a positive book about it and it does seem since that he's had some regrets about what went into print so that may impact what he writes about Qatar.

Even John Cross got something about poverty and continued racism in South Africa into the Mirror in 2010
I wonder who reads a lot of sports journalism. match reports are written before the match is over. they aren't worth reading.
I think 1,500 media people follow the Tour de France - in the 1960's it was 50 or so journalists.
there are so many articles written that are obsolete by 5 pm.
journalist's work is often a symptom of what's wrong with the world.

there was nothing really new here
There's nothing new anywhere, man

Still an important story that needs to be put in front of people's faces

Even the faces of erudite smarty holes like me that like clever analogies using illicit drugs and altered states

This needs to be talked about all the time, even if it's not new

Isn't that how Snowpiercer begins?

ahh was trying to remember the direct use of this.

SO2 probably wouldn't cause runaway global cooling - just piss down acid rain on the poles.

sure what could possibly go wrong.

as this gets worse, solutions like this will become more attractive. Like going to the money lender because youre already in debt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back