Rings of Power (1 Viewer)

Last thing: the pacing. Tolkien always let each scene play out at its own pace, never rushing or switching out perspectives too quickly. This is the opposite, I felt like the rug was being pulled out from under me every couple of minutes.

Last thing: the pacing. Tolkien always let each scene play out at its own pace, never rushing or switching out perspectives too quickly. This is the opposite, I felt like the rug was being pulled out from under me every couple of minutes.
I had to give up reading LOTR to the kids because of glacial pacing. "Are we still here?".

man, that Joe Wicks exercise dude off de telly has really let himself go since his covid-era celebrity ended

Attachments

• who-is-the-stranger-rings-of-power-1-1662161194942.jpg
    who-is-the-stranger-rings-of-power-1-1662161194942.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
We watched the second episode and it was a big improvement on the first. Still not sold on the Harfoots (checked my reference books and they are definitely only first described in the 11th century of the Third Age - no mention of Halflings of any description any earlier than that) but intrigued by the plot that has involved them. Moria was glorious, and Dwarf women to boot!

I’m having a thought, given that they’re giving the impression of
the Stranger found by the Harfoots as being Gandalf, and the Harfoots are supposed to be in the Third Age (i.e. after Isildur defeated Sauron and takes the ring) and Gandalf only arrives in Middle-earth in the Third Age, are they doing a Witcher on it and deliberately blurring time periods before having a big reveal at the end? Or is “Gandalf” himself a massive misdirection and he’s actually some other bloke?

Yah yah

I'm assuming he's Gandalf as, iirc, he is sent from the west to help against the re-emerging Sauran so maybe they're just blurring precisely when this happens. It would also work as a neat little way of explaining his fondness for hobbits.

No it's not canon, in my head he always arrived on a ship with the other wizards for one thing, but they've already admitted to doing compression on the storyline. Plus arriving in a big fucking comet is some good tv!

Of course, he could end up just being one of the blue wizards, which allows you to do as you please, maybe even kill him off by the end!

I'm really not too pushed by what is or isn't canon tbh, what is canon is what already exists and they're not gonna change that, clearly Tolkien is a vibe to them rather than a strict chronology. As long as they don't go all out into GOT madness I'm cool with it. Like, as much as I enjoyed the movies, an actual true-to-Tolkien style movie imho would involve 20 minute long still shots of landscapes, and slow, thoughtful poetry readings.

It’s not that I require exact keeping to the Tolkien timelines (the idea of the action in this series happening on a timescale that allows humans to exist as anything more than a blink is a great decision) but some of these things are kind of a big deal in how Tolkien conceived not only of how the stories played out but the motivation of characters in the long run. Like would Lord of the Rings work if Sauron knew what a Shire was when he captured and tortured Gollum?

It’s not that I require exact keeping to the Tolkien timelines (the idea of the action in this series happening on a timescale that allows humans to exist as anything more than a blink is a great decision) but some of these things are kind of a big deal in how Tolkien conceived not only of how the stories played out but the motivation of characters in the long run. Like would Lord of the Rings work if Sauron knew what a Shire was when he captured and tortured Gollum?
Sure yeah, but that hasn't happened yet (I don't think??) so let's see what happens.
Also, 20 minute landscapes and poetry readings sound great, imagine if Tarkovsky directed LOTR?
Don't threaten me with a good time, this is exactly what I want.

really looking forward to Buddy showing up in this on his way to New York to find his dad
Not saying I love the Harfoots or anything but that was the first episode where I seriously went "oh, this is gonna be shit isn't it?". Proper Netflix style nothing episode where a whole load of plot happened and I just didn't care. Hrm.

I thought it was great, the Orcs are properly scary and that chase through the woods felt so tense. The scenes with the Dwarves are just magnificent, the bit with Durin and his dad Durin was played beautifully. Elrond is growing on me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back