Stand Up Comedy is dead (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 5
Who would pay for such a thing? I would expect some form of reimbursement would run the other way - something like a free bar open 30 minutes before the first verse lands.
Is/was Nighthawks the name of a monthly arty night out thing in Dublin? We went one night because we thought it was just a gig for some band we wanted to see. They had the venue & time down on their facebook as a normal gig. We didn't realise it was some fancy sold out thing. They broke our balls for trying to get in at the door, eventually let us in. Some lad was doing poetry about his son Casper. So we left. And they broke our balls even more for trying to leave.

Passed the band walking up the street. Can't remember their name now.

The price of something is only very loosely related to how much it costs to produce.

Well, exactly. Or eggsactly. It's what people are prepared to pay for it.

What do people in entourages actually do? Do they just live off the generosity of the main act?

I think with comedians it can be a little more with maintaining their bubble and their vibe.
Some of these guys like to keep a certain energy going so they have it for their set, and it helps to have people they know there.
From what I understand tehy have nominal jobs, Dot Com on 30 Rock is the easiest example I can think of,

might have oversplained here

Is/was Nighthawks the name of a monthly arty night out thing in Dublin? We went one night because we thought it was just a gig for some band we wanted to see. They had the venue & time down on their facebook as a normal gig. We didn't realise it was some fancy sold out thing. They broke our balls for trying to get in at the door, eventually let us in. Some lad was doing poetry about his son Casper. So we left. And they broke our balls even more for trying to leave.

Passed the band walking up the street. Can't remember their name now.

fuck that. name and shame. or give us the date it was on and we can look it up

When I think of live readings, I think of that moop from Easier with Practice reading his bad prose... or slam poetry events.

John Cooper Clarke... yeah, he's legitimate. I mean, it'll be a bit of craic. But where are his overheads? Fair enough it's obviously his retirement fund at those prices. I'd go if it was 8 or 12 pounds, not being a superfan.

I would guess so. But these two would no doubt have Netflix people and press people hanging around, Then that would require someone to manage them. And so work expands. and then since it's all ultimately run by a guy telling jokes on a stage for money, Parkinsons Law comes into effect.

I have two mates who separately did the fringe. On their own of course. They had a great time. I'm not wholly convinced that stand up comedy is dead.
Parkinson's third corollary states that an entourage expands to absorb the available funds.

Last edited:
conspicuous consumption?

just leave the cost side and band comparison out of this then but somebody must have some idea what's involved in staging a big stand up gig.
EDIT:
only saw Sean C's response after I posted.

And I good sir only saw your post just now.

They had a lighting rig. Much smaller than a band but still, a bunch of stuff hanging expensively in the sky. We were shocked when we heard the riggers were out of the roof by midnight, that never happens. Relatively speaking, not that much.

Most of the people physically taking care of that were "locals" (I hate that word), and the lights and rigging would be hired in, they don't tour with it like a band would. But I'm sure they have a lighting manager or somesuch. Probably a couple of sound techs for each act.

So the overheads would be a lot, but not nearly as much as a touring band I wouldn't think.

The other stuff I wrote earlier re entourages still stands. I think I'm largely agreeing with you.

fuck that. name and shame. or give us the date it was on and we can look it up
This is 10+ years ago. Band were grand, it wasn't them on the door. We just didn't realise their gig was a part of a Nighthawks multiple act night thing. All I'll say is, Nighthawks wasn't my bag. Bit of this vibe.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hang on ... a band tours with its own lights? That hardly includes festivals, does it? And I presume a band needs to get above a certain size of venue to be doing that, right?

I'm talking about you top level acts here, the likes of those who can fill stadiums.

I suppose they actually rent the lights, but then rent them for the duration of the tour.

I'll get back to the "locals"thing later.

This is 10+ years ago. Band were grand, it wasn't them on the door. We just didn't realise their gig was a part of a Nighthawks multiple act night thing. All I'll say is, Nighthawks wasn't my bag. Bit of this vibe.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I want to die having watched less than 30 seconds

Why do you hate the word "locals"?

Ahem, the aul insomnia is a terrible thing and I may regret this post.

So, I was a bit unfair to the techs and riggers in the earlier post. They are the local pro's at what they do. That's why they get the jobs they do and get paid what they do. Honestly you won't find better anywhere outside the US. It's a privilege to work with them and I learn every day. Then there's the likes of me. The "Local".

What I meant by saying "Locals" is that that's fine for a touring band (or even stand up comedians) to use that word. But in my world it's analogous to saying "box pusher", "vegetable", "floor sweeper", "useless cunt".

And then there's me and my guys, the "Locals". Getting talked to like shit. It just doesn't make sense as a term. A bunch of Surrey pricks saying "uh, take a Local and get him to push a box".
I'm like, would you like the Romanian Local, the Irish Local, the Australian Local, the Jamaican Local, the Nigeran Local? This is a pedants rant as much as anything else.

It's about posh English peoples self entitlement. I'm happy to push a box, but there's thousands of guys I know that are better, and I mean WAY better, than the hundreds of delusional pricks who like to imagine they are on a world tour, when in fact they are babysitting a sound desk in Croydon for a conference about fuck all. And then they'll go home to their London home, and get up the next day and do the same thing again, but in Enfield, with the Locals.

Last night the "Locals" I was in charge of were a semi pro rugby player from Jamaica, a dude on his second shift who runs a recording studio, and a kid who just got an MA in sound production. And these English wankers think we're nothing. And I'm the guy who is in charge of these Nothings*.

*Not that job, on that job the client was cool but generally. The client's client was just.....'kin hell, beyond redemption.

Hope you're happy now Egg!!!!

In my other job, I am one of those pricks. But I make a point of saying "crew". Even with the shittest, newest of new-guy crew, I can't do the job without them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back