Stand Up Comedy is dead (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 5
I can't stop replaying this. I find it way funnier than it probably is

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just copped that Doug Stanhope is playing here tomorrow week in the Olympia.

Based on recent snippets he's putting up on ig, it looks like it could be pretty funny.

If tickets were around 30eu mark, I'd go in a heartbeat... 46.50 with Ticketmaster tax on top of it, means I'll have to have a long think about it.

Also, to make my mind up, here's the full show [which is presumably what'll he be touring]:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

does anyone here know what expenses, equipment and entourage a stand up comedian would typically have?
Cormcolash???
if someone was playing a big venue like Vicar Street, Olympia, The Point etc. what is required and how is it comparable to a band's crew and equipment?

my thing with this is, it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as a band -
far less equipment, only one performer to be paid etc.

how much would someone pay to see a poetry reading night - not too much I would think.

I saw Andrew Maxwell's head on an advertisement the other week and it really fucked me off.

does anyone here know what expenses, equipment and entourage a stand up comedian would typically have?
Cormcolash???
if someone was playing a big venue like Vicar Street, Olympia, The Point etc. what is required and how is it comparable to a band's crew and equipment?

how much would someone pay to see a poetry reading night - not too much I would think.

I was helping out after the Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle show the other night. it was a full house, in fact it the most amount of seats ever set out in the venue. Not biggest selling gig, biggest selling seated gig maybe.

All I can say about overheads was that they used about 10 dressing rooms and asked for 16 sofas. They seemingly have massive entourages.

Found one of these in it original packaging.

The price of something is only very loosely related to how much it costs to produce.
conspicuous consumption?
Cormcolash???

just leave the cost side and band comparison out of this then but somebody must have some idea what's involved in staging a big stand up gig.
EDIT:
only saw Sean C's response after I posted.

What do people in entourages actually do? Do they just live off the generosity of the main act?

I would guess so. But these two would no doubt have Netflix people and press people hanging around, Then that would require someone to manage them. And so work expands. and then since it's all ultimately run by a guy telling jokes on a stage for money, Parkinsons Law comes into effect.

I have two mates who separately did the fringe. On their own of course. They had a great time. I'm not wholly convinced that stand up comedy is dead.

What do people in entourages actually do? Do they just live off the generosity of the main act?
A friend of mine has toured with Eddie Izzard a few times doing sound. Just him, Eddie and a tour manager. 5 star hotels all the way.
Easiest gig he ever had, Eddie walks on and all he has to do is slide up the fader on Eddie's mic. 90 minutes later, slide it back down, jobs a good 'un

A friend of mine has toured with Eddie Izzard a few times doing sound. Just him, Eddie and a tour manager. 5 star hotels all the way.
Easiest gig he ever had, Eddie walks on and all he has to do is slide up the fader on Eddie's mic. 90 minutes later, slide it back down, jobs a good 'un

Oh yeah, duh me.

There'd also have been two (probably four) sound techs, a couple of lighting techs, tour manager, show director. A lot of the techs and crew were "locals" (hate that word), but there'd be a few crew on a big show like that.

Found one of these in it original packaging.
aw, i was hoping it would be a Bo-Selecta type mask

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back