DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
Well personally I think your shellacing is complete bollocks.

I'm joking of course, that's amazing.

I've done a "show them this thread" to other people who have built guitars, and they thoroughly approve.

How much you want for it?

Hadn’t really been thinking of selling it - was more focused on building it. So I’m not sure - normally I’d take my costs as a starting point for guitars, but as it was salvage timber that’s not anyway reflective of the time involved. I’d probably have a starting price of 250, but be open to a haggle? Not sure if I’ll be selling it just yet though

i haven't done anything yet about making the frame for the workbench i now have the top for, and swung down to larry's DIY on richmond road to get an idea about prices for lumber. and bloody hell, they have gone up.
a 2.4m length of planed 4x2 is €21.50 - so if i was to laminate two 4x2s together, about 3' long, to make each leg - each leg would cost (assuming no wastage) about €17. so €70 say just for the legs...

i haven't done anything yet about making the frame for the workbench i now have the top for, and swung down to larry's DIY on richmond road to get an idea about prices for lumber. and bloody hell, they have gone up.
a 2.4m length of planed 4x2 is €21.50 - so if i was to laminate two 4x2s together, about 3' long, to make each leg - each leg would cost (assuming no wastage) about €17. so €70 say just for the legs...
Larry's wouldn't be the absolute cheapest - but the price of timber has gone through the roof.
I was pricing materials for a bikeshed/store there a month or so ago - with the price of raw materials + my time it just wouldn't have been worth the hassle.

I bought a bridge for a few quid off adverts to replace the ashtray bridge on my Offset Tele. Fucking thing doesn't fit even though to the eye they're the same. I spent ages battling with it. Then put the ashtray one back on in about a minute.
Then I couldn't get the strings back in through the body, so I tried out the strings in the back of the ashtray bridge. Feels different.
Now I'm worried a fucked up the guitar, not that it was particularly well set up to begin with.

I bought a bridge for a few quid off adverts to replace the ashtray bridge on my Offset Tele. Fucking thing doesn't fit even though to the eye they're the same. I spent ages battling with it. Then put the ashtray one back on in about a minute.
Then I couldn't get the strings back in through the body, so I tried out the strings in the back of the ashtray bridge. Feels different.
Now I'm worried a fucked up the guitar, not that it was particularly well set up to begin with.
so the string holes no longer align? thats odd.
couple of thoughts..
did you have to do any re-drilling? are you mounting in the wrong holes?
are you using the wrong screws for the bridge (ie the screws for the non-ashtray for the ashtray)? different sized heads could pull it off.

EDIT: is string alignment off along the fretboard (ie over slightly in one direction or the other)

finally - if the holes were slightly misdrilled in the first place they may had to work the bridge into position by first tightening the screws that were in the right position, and then the ones that were off. (this is hard to describe, but would be easy to demonstrate)

what id suggest would be to pop off the bridge, use a toothpick or similar to act as a guide pin for the low and high e string hole, and see where the screw holes look to be.

doubt you've fucked up your guitar - absolute worst case you might have to re-fit your bridge (either of them).

Thanks. I'll look at it again later.
I think I've given up on getting that new bridge on, some one braver than I would probably fit it in 10 minutes.

You didn’t even have to ask this time @Anthony

Some noodling with and without bass cut and a bit of gain. Can get great bends/vibrato out of it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back