Major Pleasures (1 Viewer)

I was in Switzerland last week and was up here AUGSTMATTHORN HIKE FROM HARDER KULM - Journey Era
Took the back way up and started the climb from about halfway, then walked along the ridge and down through forest to the funicular. Probably went up and down about 1000m.

Couple of days later I was in Geneva and went up Mont Blanc which is nearby in France. No walking up that one, that is some serious shit! Took the cable car up, fuckkkk it's high. I mean obviously it's high, but fuuuccckkkkk you gotta see that shit to really realise it. Like I was standing on top of augstmatthorn, and looking up at the Eiger across the lake, thinking "Fuccckkkkkkkk" just looking at that from 2000m below it. Then you go up Mt Blanc, and you're realise you're higher than the Eiger and all. Your brain can't make sense of it any more.

Then after that I was in Lucerne and went up Mt Pilatus Pilatus (mountain) - Wikipedia . There's a cable car all the way up, but I hiked up the first 2/3 to the last cable car stop, so I climbed about 1200-1300m in total before cable-car time. That felt like it was much steeper than Augstmatthorn too, but I suspect it's just that it was later in the day and a warmer day anyway and that's why the sweat was lashing in comparison. It's mad standing up there and thinking "Fuck, this is only like half-way on Mont Blanc"

In conclusion, Croagh Patrick, THAT'S EASY!

that's not a slope, this is a slope!
world's longest vertical drop.

if you fell off it, you'd fall for 26 seconds before hitting the ground.

I was in Switzerland last week and was up here AUGSTMATTHORN HIKE FROM HARDER KULM - Journey Era
Took the back way up and started the climb from about halfway, then walked along the ridge and down through forest to the funicular. Probably went up and down about 1000m.

Couple of days later I was in Geneva and went up Mont Blanc which is nearby in France. No walking up that one, that is some serious shit! Took the cable car up, fuckkkk it's high. I mean obviously it's high, but fuuuccckkkkk you gotta see that shit to really realise it. Like I was standing on top of augstmatthorn, and looking up at the Eiger across the lake, thinking "Fuccckkkkkkkk" just looking at that from 2000m below it. Then you go up Mt Blanc, and you're realise you're higher than the Eiger and all. Your brain can't make sense of it any more.

Then after that I was in Lucerne and went up Mt Pilatus Pilatus (mountain) - Wikipedia . There's a cable car all the way up, but I hiked up the first 2/3 to the last cable car stop, so I climbed about 1200-1300m in total before cable-car time. That felt like it was much steeper than Augstmatthorn too, but I suspect it's just that it was later in the day and a warmer day anyway and that's why the sweat was lashing in comparison. It's mad standing up there and thinking "Fuck, this is only like half-way on Mont Blanc"

In conclusion, Croagh Patrick, THAT'S EASY!
Awesome awesome stuff

I'm in Swisserland in a few weeks
Which of those did you get the most out of?

are you going to be near the trummelback falls? they're awesome, though probably less so this time of year.
I've nothing planned

I have to be in Berlin Sept 25th
And I picked Zurich to fly out of on Oct 2nd

Trying to figure the logisitics of getting the rothar out there and back

Awesome awesome stuff

I'm in Swisserland in a few weeks
Which of those did you get the most out of?
Augstmatthorn gives a class hike with amazing views if the weather is good, and the views of Eiger/Monck/Jungfrau are incredible. The ridge itself is easy to walk along, but there is a part of it where you don't wanna look down if you don't have the head for it - I didn't! I was grand concentrating on the walking, but looking around on top of that ridge is a bit tough until you get to the more level parts where it's not so steep right beneath you.

Pilatus is also a great hike with amazing views, but there was a bit of cloud at the top so it wasn't quite as good up there. I think the view would be just as great without the clouds though.

Mount Blanc is a different thing altogether. The views up there are fuckin wild and the weather was great, but you can't just hike that shit unless you're a serious hiker. You can't get right to the top of Mount Blanc without proper gear, it's snow and ice at the top obviously.

The big thing is I was mad lucky with the weather. I was over for a week and a half, and the only time I got rained on was today on the way to the airport. Even Mont Blanc, like you NEED to be lucky with the weather there, and the day I went for it was perfect. The next day, you couldn't see fuck all from there, haha.

Also be ready for how expensive Switzerland is, it's a bit mental. And if you're going to go hiking, get ready to leave at 6am so that you're starting the climb wherever at 8-ish – it's way nicer at that time and you'll avoid some of the tourists, plus it gives you more time to get down which is especially good if there's any chance of getting lost.
I started up Pilatus pretty late, 1pm, and I walked up for 2 and a half hours to the last cable car transition. So by the time I was at the top it was close enough to 4.30 pm, and the last cable car/train down is 5.30, so not that much time to look around up there (although enough really). The steepest train in the world goes up and down it actually, I took this route down and it's mad, 48% gradient at points haha.
Mt. Blanc, I got to Chamonix at like 9am and the first ticket I could book in the cable car to get up there was for like 11.45am – lots of tourists!

Augstmatthorn gives a class hike with amazing views if the weather is good, and the views of Eiger/Monck/Jungfrau are incredible. The ridge itself is easy to walk along, but there is a part of it where you don't wanna look down if you don't have the head for it - I didn't! I was grand concentrating on the walking, but looking around on top of that ridge is a bit tough until you get to the more level parts where it's not so steep right beneath you.

Pilatus is also a great hike with amazing views, but there was a bit of cloud at the top so it wasn't quite as good up there. I think the view would be just as great without the clouds though.

Mount Blanc is a different thing altogether. The views up there are fuckin wild and the weather was great, but you can't just hike that shit unless you're a serious hiker. You can't get right to the top of Mount Blanc without proper gear, it's snow and ice at the top obviously.

The big thing is I was mad lucky with the weather. I was over for a week and a half, and the only time I got rained on was today on the way to the airport. Even Mont Blanc, like you NEED to be lucky with the weather there, and the day I went for it was perfect. The next day, you couldn't see fuck all from there, haha.

Also be ready for how expensive Switzerland is, it's a bit mental. And if you're going to go hiking, get ready to leave at 6am so that you're starting the climb wherever at 8-ish – it's way nicer at that time and you'll avoid some of the tourists, plus it gives you more time to get down which is especially good if there's any chance of getting lost.
I started up Pilatus pretty late, 1pm, and I walked up for 2 and a half hours to the last cable car transition. So by the time I was at the top it was close enough to 4.30 pm, and the last cable car/train down is 5.30, so not that much time to look around up there (although enough really). The steepest train in the world goes up and down it actually, I took this route down and it's mad, 48% gradient at points haha.
Mt. Blanc, I got to Chamonix at like 9am and the first ticket I could book in the cable car to get up there was for like 11.45am – lots of tourists!
That's fantastic, Corm
Sounds like the kind of trip I really want to take
I'm a super early riser, so I'm okay on that score
But I'm a month away from being there - weather will be less favourable I'm betting.
That Augstmatthorn ridge looks class though.

Switzerland ain't cheap, but I take it pretty handy. Just coffees and sandwiches and pastries.

That's fantastic, Corm
Sounds like the kind of trip I really want to take
I'm a super early riser, so I'm okay on that score
But I'm a month away from being there - weather will be less favourable I'm betting.
That Augstmatthorn ridge looks class though.

Switzerland ain't cheap, but I take it pretty handy. Just coffees and sandwiches and pastries.
Yeah I'd say the weather will be much more changeable in a month or so. My friend from Bern couldn't believe how lucky I got with it, basically 10 days of sunshine! There was a big thunderstorm when I was in Geneva, the day after I did Mont Blanc, but even that was basically early morning and over by 9.30am, so I just had a slightly later breakfast where I was staying.
When I was up Augstmatthorn the weather was awesome but the Eiger and co. are so big they had their own localised clouds, so I didn't get the absolute full effect of them in total clear weather - it was like the peaks had a little cloud scarf on them haha. But in the hours I was walking the ridge I saw all 3 of those peaks (Eiger/Monck/Jungfrau) clearly as the clouds shifted around on them.
It would have looked a bit like this
mannlichen-eiger-monch-jungfrau.jpg
but even with less cloud than in the picture there, just localised around the peaks.

Oh actually something to look out for!!
Switzerland uses a slightly different power socket than the EU (after all, it's not EU...) so you might need an adapter for that. I brought an EU adapter with me that wouldn't fit in the weird little sockets they have. A normal actual EU plug will fine, but my adapter is a big bulky thing that wouldn't. Just check that out ha

I've been going out for swims for the last while. The sea is picking up a bit now, a decent swell rolling in for almost a week. The visibility is down and I thought that not being able to see stuff would kill a lot of the buzz, but it's a nice feeling swimming out into the big swell, and having a quiet time alone out there.

Oh actually something to look out for!!
Switzerland uses a slightly different power socket than the EU (after all, it's not EU...) so you might need an adapter for that. I brought an EU adapter with me that wouldn't fit in the weird little sockets they have. A normal actual EU plug will fine, but my adapter is a big bulky thing that wouldn't. Just check that out ha
I think I needed a special one for Italy too
Then just went with USb in Swiztserland

Climbed this bad boy in the Tirols

Some proper gear on the Via ferrata/Klettersteige

1661966564643.png

An awesome feeling of accomplishment

@Cormcolash @Deadmanposting - if you're into that trekking craic, you should see if you can get yourselves out to the Patagonian Andes. Thing about that area is it's not tropical, and you don't really get too many nasty bugs around. Keeps vaccinations and things simple.

You'd minimally want a few weeks out there, partly because it's south of Chile and Argentina and travel is all over the shop down there. Partly because depending on where you are it's high-ish and at least I needed a while to get used to carrying gear once you get much past the 3,000 m mark. The Andes are steep AF.

But it's an amazing place altogether. I've trekked a lot of the passes and treks, if you're interested I might remember bits and pieces.

That sounds great

I could get there, and probably handle most of teh phsyicality of it, but the problem for me is time
I can't get the time off to do these things - like visit NZ and do Australia properly
Add Chile and the Andes to that

Thanks for bumming me out, man!
:-D

That sounds great

I could get there, and probably handle most of teh phsyicality of it, but the problem for me is time
I can't get the time off to do these things - like visit NZ and do Australia properly
Add Chile and the Andes to that

Thanks for bumming me out, man!
:-D

Yeah, the time is the big one. You'd really want at least a solid three weeks. Treks were often around the 7-8 day range, you'd be tired and have to eat and rest up afterwards. So you'd need to do minimally two long treks with a shorter one to get your legs going, and you could mix in a few 4-5 day ones. Then just getting around out there was mad slow. The state of the place though.

1661978485357.png

Chile is nice. Rural Chile almost reminded me of Ireland in the 80s. Argentina is a bit fancier.

I'd be up for NZ. Plus they speak english, and are more set up for tourists I'd imagine.

Sooo,

Currently moving house again. But this time I'm moving from the doss house to a boat.

I'll be merely renting a room.

I sat there earlier for half an hour, with no stress in my head, I just sat there and chilled.

There's only me and the guy running the boat right now, so I had my pick of the rooms. It's a good room. It's a fucking good room.

Also, he has actually had both his legs amputated below the knee. So being in this bit of the world, on a boat, where my Captain has two prosthetic legs, this is the most pirate I can ever be.

Feeling happy, like proper chuffed. Don't know how this has happened, but I'm good with it. We'll see what the fuel bills are like in the coming months.

Sooo,

Currently moving house again. But this time I'm moving from the doss house to a boat.

I'll be merely renting a room.

I sat there earlier for half an hour, with no stress in my head, I just sat there and chilled.

There's only me and the guy running the boat right now, so I had my pick of the rooms. It's a good room. It's a fucking good room.

Also, he has actually had both his legs amputated below the knee. So being in this bit of the world, on a boat, where my Captain has two prosthetic legs, this is the most pirate I can ever be.

Feeling happy, like proper chuffed. Don't know how this has and I'm good with it. We'll see what the fuel bills are like in the coming months.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back