Mingus and Parker Fuck for Breakfast - The late 80s to mid 90s Amphetamine Reptile and Skingraft Noiserock Thread (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

Prompted by some bloke from Sightings putting up this insane live snippet of Minneapolis noiserock legends Cows:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is there a comprehensive thread for noise rock from the late 80s or early 90s already?

Here's more Cows:

Quintessential noise rock menace right there. Their bassist Kevin Rutmanis went on to be in Melvins... and Tomahawk.

I only have one Cows record. Whorn from 1996. Went down a rabbithole watching some live stuff last night. Seems like you can file their frontman Shannon Selberg next to David Yow and Al Johnson under dangerous, charismatic vocalists of the 90s era. He's wont to just bust out a trumpet midsong too. Legend.

Helmet performing Wilma's Rainbow and Milquetoast on mainstream TV in 94. As close as this shit got to a mainstream moment...albeit without the charismatic frontman, and unruly, bluesy flirting with mayhem that somewhat defines the scene.

Shame Jon Stewart turned out to be a right liberal cunt. Cint, innhe.

Shorty... pre U.S Maple. Same guitar tone [as U.S Maple]. Imagine a bully from school pressing his knee into your neck as he said "here's a facelift for you" whilst pressing barbwire across your face tearing into your ears. Nasty. Not nice to happen, but brilliant in band form. Makes Jesus Lizard sound like Roy Harper's Stormcock. Demented. At the point where the band are just short of it being classified as metalcore. The most horrific noise rock band.

Shorty... pre U.S Maple. Same guitar tone [as U.S Maple]. Imagine a bully from school pressing his knee into your neck as he said "here's a facelift for you" whilst pressing barbwire across your face tearing into your ears. Nasty. Not nice to happen, but brilliant in band form. Makes Jesus Lizard sound like Roy Harper's Stormcock. Demented. At the point where the band are just short of it being classified as metalcore. The most horrific noise rock band.

Shorty were class.
Always remember this brilliant video

I used to work in a bar with a ukrainian maniac noise dude and we would do little experiments about what sludge noise stuff to play to get people out at the end of the night... anyway that’s how I came to know about brainbombs

Brainbombs were pre Young Widow, no? The Kentucky wing ten or twenty years later.

Young Widow, another good forty Carroll's a day blues noiserock. A voice that gets out of jail and enters a bar with no doors, where everyone else inside is also fresh out of hock. Anyone for a game of pool?

Correction - Brain Banger was pre Young Widows...must be some correlation between having your brains beat in and the sonic dank these bands inhabit ..

Anyway, bit of a leap forward in time here. The guy's voice makes you think just what if Nick Nolte had been bitten by the noise rock bug?

Shorty were class.
Always remember this brilliant video

and evolving into this:

Like walking into a lift and seeing two people riding. Uncomfortable, yet riveting.

We weren't ready for it in the 90s, and we still ain't.

[Bunch of math rock bros digging Beefheart is a lame cop out].

Getting a lot more accessible.. lick my decals off, baby.

Juggernaut of mixed emotions.

yeah brainbombs are apparently from sweden

edgelord misogynist lyrics because it was the 90s

trumpet because trumpet

No Balls are most of the same members without the misogyny or vocals at all.. Orchestra of Constant Distress are another band with same drummer in more recent times.

May as well stick Skullflower in this post too. Bower has gone down the sketch rabbit hole these days but they had some amazing records in the late 80s early 90s.

Were you at the US Maple gig in Dublin?
No, I wish...but I think I wasn't aware of them

Actually my first encounter with them was buying Talker on cd in city discs secondhand, thinking Drag City, produced by Michael Gira, alright interesting. Taking it home, thinking it was utter nonsense...no idea what happened the cd. Years later listening to it, it's class. Also one of the few U.S Maples you can buy on vinyl for an acceptable price.

No Balls are most of the same members without the misogyny or vocals at all.. Orchestra of Constant Distress are another band with same drummer in more recent times.

May as well stick Skullflower in this post too. Bower has gone down the sketch rabbit hole these days but they had some amazing records in the late 80s early 90s.

Woah there Jesse, this is the noise rock thread...not the thread for right wing noise fiends...

I saw Skullflower in Todmorden [weird fucking artsy town in Lancashire... not for me, babes.] I think there was an Irish act supporting. Late 2014. I think I went directly there from Sheffield on the train after seeing Sheffield Wednesday at home to Derby County [Bradley Johnson, what a player].

He was good. Skullflower. I remember having a smoke with the guitarist from Drunk in Hell, and he said, "sounds like things are starting to cook. Let's go in."

There's a lot of that troubling right wing chat going around the UK noise scene...

I was. One of the few gigs where there was a genuine e sense of menace in the air and it was all coming from Al Johnson. Memory says he was wearing a wife-beater vest and fingerless leather gloves but I might be gilding the lily
Sweet. My experience of discomfort came watching Oxbow in Whelans. Didn't really know a lot about them... but I was sure glad I wasn't the pasty dude a y-fronts only Eugene Robinson grappled to the ground.

'Sunday' by Oxbow. From Let Me Be a Woman. 1995. What a record. They did a live album with Peter Brotzmann...that I have to check out.

I saw Robinson recently with Bunuel at Supersonic. Star power in spades. He's bloody 60! And still taking his pants off.

I sold my copy of the first one for silly money a while back

Any more noise rock for sale?

I just bought three Tar Am Rep originals off a bloke in Finland on Discogs for by today's standards were very reasonably priced. Just hope they arrive in one piece...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back