What is a "normal" price for a monthly broadband bill? (2 Viewers)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I use it for work and streaming TV and my bill is @60 a month

Is that a lot?

I'd say sometimes. Right now with two of us working from home, two laptops and a PC & a few other devices connected it's not, but other times it'll be maxing out at 950 or so.

The day has finally come where i can physically get broadband.

Is 500mb/s connection gonna cut it for potentially two working at home and someone streaming mind numbing history documentaries?

Actually, while I'm here:I got a Sky subscription a few months ago. 18 month contract. £35/month. I no longer require it I don't think.

I remember my mum having a terrible time trying to renegotiate her Sky contract. But that was twenty years ago. Is there any hope I can cancel/pause it? Or will I just have to accept the fact that I'm paying for the whole length of the contract.

When we were with Virgin I had to pay £125 to break the contract. Originally they had wanted twice that amount, which we informed them was illegal. The £125 was probably illegal too, but I paid it anyway.

Actually, while I'm here:I got a Sky subscription a few months ago. 18 month contract. £35/month. I no longer require it I don't think.

I remember my mum having a terrible time trying to renegotiate her Sky contract. But that was twenty years ago. Is there any hope I can cancel/pause it? Or will I just have to accept the fact that I'm paying for the whole length of the contract.

When we were with Virgin I had to pay £125 to break the contract. Originally they had wanted twice that amount, which we informed them was illegal. The £125 was probably illegal too, but I paid it anyway.
oof I don't think you'll be able to wrangle out of that one unless they have small print that allows you leave on compassionate grounds. Then you'll have to work on your cry voice.

oof I don't think you'll be able to wrangle out of that one unless they have small print that allows you leave on compassionate grounds. Then you'll have to work on your cry voice.

I don't think Rupert is a very compassionate guy.

What I do next all depends on where I move to next. Maybe I'll find a place that is Sky-ready and I can bring my router and box to the table. Unlikely though.

If the lawyers get involved, she'll be paying for all of it. It was her idea.

I don't think Rupert is a very compassionate guy.

What I do next all depends on where I move to next. Maybe I'll find a place that is Sky-ready and I can bring my router and box to the table. Unlikely though.

If the lawyers get involved, she'll be paying for all of it. It was her idea.
you can deffo move it with you. I've done that before, albeit in Ireland. Its normal enough for them to have customers moving house and who want to switch the account to their new gaff.

Did I ever tell youse we can’t get SIRO in our place as the ESB guys said there wasn’t “enough clearance” between the nearest pole and the bungalow roof? We’re probably the only one in our area that can’t be physically hooked up.

On the other hand, now there’s no congestion on our FTTC broadband (lotta elderly in our area too, they’re hardly hogging the bandwidth) so while we ‘only’ get 85Mb, it’s enough to do stuff like XCloud streaming no bother. €35 a month, just broadband; no phone or TV.

The 5G on my phone is faster, sure, but it’s also more flaky. That’s another €30 or so. Worth it for the contingency.

I set up a WiFi mesh using those Deco E4 units. WiFi-wise its great. The signal is strong everywhere. But the performance is about a 20% degradation compared to being directly connected to the main router.

It will be useful as we have a lot of space here and there are a few dead zones. But I set it up planning on using it for the work computer, but won't be doing that now.

I set up a WiFi mesh using those Deco E4 units. WiFi-wise its great. The signal is strong everywhere. But the performance is about a 20% degradation compared to being directly connected to the main router.

It will be useful as we have a lot of space here and there are a few dead zones. But I set it up planning on using it for the work computer, but won't be doing that now.
Compared to directly connected wifi, not wired I presume?

my broadband was nearly 70 a month so i got an unlimited data sim card from GoMo for 12.99 a month, and one of these routers that takes sim cards.
Amazon product ASIN B0161ACBE0
it's been fine so far, i can stream netflix and do video calls when i'm working from home.
what speeds do you get?

I presume you can bring this anywhere and it will work? If so, thats deadly. I'm tired of nearly burning out my phone using it as a hotspot so much.

usually around 25 to 30Mb download / 8Mb upload at the moment, but it's been fast enough for everything i do online.
yeah i can take the router around ireland and it'll work wherever i plug it in and can get phone reception. i could bring it to the continent too and use it there, as long as usage doesn't exceed 13Gb, after that GoMo start charging for data

what speeds do you get?

I presume you can bring this anywhere and it will work? If so, thats deadly. I'm tired of nearly burning out my phone using it as a hotspot so much.

On that, i have a tcl at the minute now and had to leave the hotspot on for about 6 months there. It didn't give out at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back