Minor Pleasures (7 Viewers)

Do you have to go downstairs to get into the cafe? Near the shopping centre with the Dunnes?
No, that’s the Mill. I was there yesterday though, got eggs Benedict.

I fucking love eddie rockets
I hate to say it but they’ve changed recently and it’s become shite.

that used to be called 'The Rye'

that was 20 years ago though

It's called The Mill or something now. Frequented by gangs of middle-aged cycling men in lycra who clip-clop in in their special cycling shoes, smelling of sweat and taking over the place.
I thought the Rye was the one around the corner (on the way to Silken Thomas’s castle and the old Maynooth campus). There was a greasy spoon there but it’s about 20 years gone. I’ve never known the Mill as anything other than the Mill and I’ve been going to Maynooth for about 20 years.

Anyway, the place I went to was Nectar which used to be Bon Bon about 10 years ago. I got a hot dog and it was good!

I just found a phone.

Screen is smashed up, but there's plenty of Afghanistani shop owners to sort that out. It is a rye joke round here that they're well trained in dodgy electronics because they spent their childhood assembling IED's.

It's actually probably true. We ask them, and they go "um, well, I just want to fix your phone. These days."

With this accent, I just keep my mouth shut.

Last edited:
It's called The Mill or something now. Frequented by gangs of middle-aged cycling men in lycra who clip-clop in in their special cycling shoes, smelling of sweat and taking over the place.

theres nothing like having to see that bunch up close with the smells and all. the full experience.
youd think theyd opt for sitting outside, the stinky pricks

No, that’s the Mill. I was there yesterday though, got eggs Benedict.

I hate to say it but they’ve changed recently and it’s become shite.

I thought the Rye was the one around the corner (on the way to Silken Thomas’s castle and the old Maynooth campus). There was a greasy spoon there but it’s about 20 years gone. I’ve never known the Mill as anything other than the Mill and I’ve been going to Maynooth for about 20 years.

Anyway, the place I went to was Nectar which used to be Bon Bon about 10 years ago. I got a hot dog and it was good!

Pickwicks used to be where that music shop was. (opposite Brayds on the straffan road)
is that it?

Pickwicks used to be where that music shop was. (opposite Brayds on the straffan road)
is that it?
No, that’s around the corner again. There’s a burger place and burrito place where the cafe I’m thinking of used to be. The music shop is now some kind of haunted Knick knacks nightmare with a mannequin dressed as a clown outside.

Most pubs would put a band on the stage. This pub has this. They have lots of bands, usually but today they have this.

Dub,D&B, just what I needed. I played bass once upon a time. You guys get it right? It's a bass thing.

I am sitting politely trying to not embarrass myself again. My life would be very different if I had this growing up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_010255.jpg
    IMG_20220814_010255.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Most pubs would put a band on the stage. This pub has this. They have lots of bands, usually but today they have this.

Dub,D&B, just what I needed. I played bass once upon a time. You guys get it right? It's a bass thing.

I am sitting politely trying to not embarrass myself again. My life would be very different if I had this growing up.

What pub is that? Looks familiar.

The Windmill?

Last edited:
Looks like some sorta cross bones thing but not a Jolly Roger.

Well you've sorta known me for 20 odd years now,, so might as well tell you: it's The Birds Nest, Deptford. The second best pub in the world.

That's where I am, I'm a known entity. I'm sure a few of you have been here.

I don't do anything here professionally, professional drinker some would say, but if any of your many bands are around I'll give you some contacts.

Btw, the logo is cracked birds skull and crossbones. It's a tribute to the local church, which has a skull and crossbones decoration. Which is where that flag comes from. The pirate flag is the flag of Deptford. All pirates come from Deptford, even if they don't.

Well you've sorta known me for 20 odd years now,, so might as well tell you: it's The Birds Nest, Deptford. The second best pub in the world.

I don't do anything here professionally, professional drinker some would say, but if any of your many bands are around I'll give you some contacts.

Btw, the logo is cracked birds skull and crossbones. It's a tribute to the local church, which has a skull and crossbones decoration. Which is where that flag comes from. The pirate flag is the flag of Deptford. All pirates come from Deptford, even if they don't.

Just looked it up..looks a good joint alright

Just looked it up..looks a good joint alright
Pop over mate.

The Tory cunts are salivating at the idea of redeveloping it. But we've somehow got status as a protected community amenity, it's only been a pub for four hundred years. It's still going to be redeveloped over the next couple of years. Come see it before the cunts come-a-cunting.

Ah yes I did know the logo and have seen lots of photos of mate's bands on that stage.

Not sure where to put this, but it should be shared.

We've had our first rain in weeks, it was heavy, but it was amazing. You could actually feel people's souls lifting.

Couple of hours later I meet someone I know in the beer garden, she's with two friends. I sit with them, but before I do, check that the stool I pull up is dry.

My friend is a saucy old bird, I can tell her friend is too.

New friend says "oh it's good to check the seat is dry, because I'm sitting in a puddle"

And before my brain can connect to my mouth, I lean in, turn my head, give a wink, and say "Yeah, I do have that affect on the ladies".

Even both those saucy old lushes thought that was a bit much.

Then they introduced the other person at the table. "This is my son"

Oh, eh, hi mate. oh Jesus....

Not sure where to put this, but it should be shared.

We've had our first rain in weeks, it was heavy, but it was amazing. You could actually feel people's souls lifting.

Couple of hours later I meet someone I know in the beer garden, she's with two friends. I sit with them, but before I do, check that the stool I pull up is dry.

My friend is a saucy old bird, I can tell her friend is too.

New friend says "oh it's good to check the seat is dry, because I'm sitting in a puddle"

And before my brain can connect to my mouth, I lean in, turn my head, give a wink, and say "Yeah, I do have that affect on the ladies".

Even both those saucy old lushes thought that was a bit much.

Then they introduced the other person at the table. "This is my son"

Oh, eh, hi mate. oh Jesus....
Back of the net

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back