Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker (1993) (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 117
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 6
They require a little more effort on your part and leave room for interpretation, but I would not think they’re ‘vague’. It was pretty obvious why they wanted to get away from the fans/mindset of people who want everything handed to them on a plate lyrically, and fair play to them.
Fugazi's lyrics were too soft focus and a missed opportunity when writing on social and political issues. their interviews or the band's behaviour said far more about what they stood for.

It doesn't mean you have to say ''fuck Reagan/Bush/Trump'' in every song either. Flipper (not a politically minded band) songs like Life, I Saw You Shine or Sacrifice (all by Will Shatter) are profound in a way Fugazi words aren't.
throw in as many IMOs as you like on these comments.

"why can't I walk down the street free of suggestion?"

"Give me the cure"

"How many times have you felt like a bookcase gathering dust "

Red Medicine and End Hits are where it's at.

Although I do love Repeater.

Just checked and we had this exchange on page 1 back in 2016.

I'm with you on End Hits... Repeater is a snoozefest, and A Steady Diet is their best [not the best songs, but just flows from beginning to end perfectly. It's their best-sounding/best mixed record]. Think The Argument is better than RM... ain't listened to RM in a long while though.

As regards, In On The Killtaker, maybe you need to hear the vinyl to get it. Sounds too compressed in places on digital.... obviously some rattling tunes on it.

Ack, I'm sure I've said all this earlier in the thread.

“Stupid fucking words
Tangle us in our desires
Free me from this give and take
Free me from this great debate”
"why can't I walk down the street free of suggestion?"

"Give me the cure"

"How many times have you felt like a bookcase gathering dust "
"An attempt to thoughtfully affect your way of thinking"
WHA'????

I'm with you on End Hits... Repeater is a snoozefest, and A Steady Diet is their best [not the best songs, but just flows from beginning to end perfectly. It's their best-sounding/best mixed record]. Think The Argument is better than RM... ain't listened to RM in a long while though.

As regards, In On The Killtaker, maybe you need to hear the vinyl to get it. Sounds too compressed in places on digital.... obviously some rattling tunes on it.

Ack, I'm sure I've said all this earlier in the thread.
The Argument is great, I always felt like it was by far their most accessible album, after a decade+ MacKaye had just about learned to sing in tune. There's a lot of space in the riffs on there, only playing precisely what is needed and nothing else, almost like a very good funk band. I often recommend it as an entrypoint for people who want to check them out but might be turned off by his voice.

Last edited:
Fugazi's lyrics were too soft focus and a missed opportunity when writing on social and political issues. their interviews or the band's behaviour said far more about what they stood for.

It doesn't mean you have to say ''fuck Reagan/Bush/Trump'' in every song either. Flipper (not a politically minded band) songs like Life, I Saw You Shine or Sacrifice (all by Will Shatter) are profound in a way Fugazi words aren't.
throw in as many IMOs as you like on these comments.
IMO we need a facepalm emoji.

classic precious Fugazi fan response!
Fugazi were excellent at what they did but it's just not for me. their more dedicated fans are easy targets.

start a Jawbreaker thread you'll see what I am capable of unleashing on an awful emo band.
What's your take on other Fugazi adjacent bands, NT?

I was listening to this band today Evergreen for the first time in a few years [one of Britt Walford from Slint's eh post-Slint bands]:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The album has a bang of skapunk, Fugazi and Wipers, Toni Joy stuff [this dude, fuck, he's got to be up there in the influential stakes] and some other stuff that may pop into my head in time. They're like a Fugazi that gave two fingers to the straight edge ethos, and said, "fuck that, let's get pished." A boozy Fugazi if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back