Wow, I have just discovered... (2 Viewers)

I was out with friends last night and a friend of a friend is in a band with one of the guys in this band

I can't place their sound, is it just every 80s metal band I used to listen to?

For those of a sensitive disposition, I should warn you, it is a bit gay

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Makes you wonder what their other songs could possibly be about. This one says it all.

HOLY MOSES - Life's Destroyer (1987)

early TV clip of Sabina Classen's band in their prime. lots of VOIVOD influences

thats rocking ..so is this! Nice find!

Heard the name before so clicked on this in my youtube feed..deadly

HOLGER CZUKAY - Cool In The Pool (1979)

I was going to put this in the 1980's pop song thread but realised it's too early.

FUCKING AMAZING

I recorded this documentary during pride month on Channel 4 but only watched it last night
Rebel Dykes (2021) is about a subculture of young punk lesbians from 1986 to early 90's in London.

Debbie Smith who later played with Curve and Echobelly, was the only person I recognised.
things like Greenham Common, Clause 28, the band Poison Girls and anarcho punk come up but despite being concurrent with many things I knew about this group of women were new to me.
many adventures including, an all women biker gang, lesbians invading the 6 pm news and absailing from the viewing gallery in Westminster to protest against clause 28, a major row with a rival radical lesbian group over SM at their women only club plus other conflicts within feminism, lots of very cool looking women (some of whom still dress like this now), plenty of cool music and a reunion and where are they now at the end.
Great that one of them decided to document this.

FB_IMG_1661862680020.jpg

JO ANN KELLY (1944-1990) at the Hornsey College of Art 1968. Remarkable blues singer Kelly performed and recorded the deepest Delta blues you ever heard. Born into a musical family (Dave Kelly of The Blues Band is her younger brother) in Streatham, South London, England, she had an incredible gift and love for obscure and powerful early country blues music. She recorded solo, and in various bands, and with Mississippi Fred McDowell and Son House, Woody Mann and Stefan Grossman. She landed a major record label deal with CBS and Epic, in 1969. Both Canned Heat and Johnny Winter wanted her to join their bands, but she preferred to stay closer to home, and played gigs throughout the UK and Europe. She died at age 46 from brain cancer.

I recorded this documentary during pride month on Channel 4 but only watched it last night
Rebel Dykes (2021) is about a subculture of young punk lesbians from 1986 to early 90's in London.

Debbie Smith who later played with Curve and Echobelly, was the only person I recognised.
things like Greenham Common, Clause 28, the band Poison Girls and anarcho punk come up but despite being concurrent with many things I knew about this group of women were new to me.
many adventures including, an all women biker gang, lesbians invading the 6 pm news and absailing from the viewing gallery in Westminster to protest against clause 28, a major row with a rival radical lesbian group over SM at their women only club plus other conflicts within feminism, lots of very cool looking women (some of whom still dress like this now), plenty of cool music and a reunion and where are they now at the end.
Great that one of them decided to document this.

For the Thumped fact fans, Debbie Smith was/is in a band with @Lolo of this here parish, Ye Nuns, the world's first and foremost Monks tribute band.

Always get a kick when I hear Marc Riley play the sting they recorded for his 6music show.

For the Thumped fact fans, Debbie Smith was/is in a band with @Lolo of this here parish, Ye Nuns, the world's first and foremost Monks tribute band.

Always get a kick when I hear Marc Riley play the sting they recorded for his 6music show.
which piece of music is it? I think I know the one you mean...but I get all those Djs mixed up

put them on a bill with The Fallen Women! (women doing Fall covers - still sorry I missed them in Dublin)

Never heard of YE NUNS but of course I know THE MONKS and remember Lolo where ever she may be now.
that what I get for not keeping up with new bands.
YE NUNS are fun and have the sound down.

Here's Debbie Smith discogs page - she also played on Hard Skin's - Why Do Birds... LP and even w/ Candi Staton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back