BREXIT (5 Viewers)

2024 is gonna be hell, cosplay Thatcher vs. cosplay Blair, fucking hell like, talk about an establishment out of ideas.

there’s a certain kind of ambitious student-politics eager striver that just spends their whole lives as a kind of political performance. I remember being profoundly repelled by them when I was in university. most of them age out of it eventually, but a few really commit (some of the ones I knew in UCD are now TDs).

anyway that’s who Liz Truss really reminds me of. I don’t think she believes in anything in particular, she just got really good at climbing the ladder and now she’s about to hit the top and start making real decisions. oh dear.

it’s notable that both the catholic church and the chinese communist party have elaborate systems in place explicitly to *prevent* the advancement of ambitious careerist strivers, in order to avoid exactly these kinds of situations

there’s a certain kind of ambitious student-politics eager striver that just spends their whole lives as a kind of political performance. I remember being profoundly repelled by them when I was in university. most of them age out of it eventually, but a few really commit (some of the ones I knew in UCD are now TDs).

anyway that’s who Liz Truss really reminds me of. I don’t think she believes in anything in particular, she just got really good at climbing the ladder and now she’s about to hit the top and start making real decisions. oh dear.
aye, she's political porridge and just aligned herself to the tories because they win elections

it’s notable that both the catholic church and the chinese communist party have elaborate systems in place explicitly to *prevent* the advancement of ambitious careerist strivers, in order to avoid exactly these kinds of situations
Interesting. How do they manage to do that?

Interesting. How do they manage to do that?

both systems have a strong culture against personal ambition, enforced by many mechanisms. in the church, there’s a concept called “papabile” — literally, whether or not someone is regarded as “popeable” — which is partly used as a term of respect and acknowledgement, but also, paradoxically, it’s often thrown around as a deliberate diss. the idea being that if you are the kind of person that thinks of yourself as “popeable,” you for sure should *not* be pope.

and in china, they have a nationwide cadre system that is more-or-less designed to weed out the wannabe napoleons. that’s why, when you see a photo of the chinese politburo, they are utterly uniform and basically indistinguishable from each other. there are fierce rivalries and factions and bitter clashes, and it’s all completely invisible, by design. a chinese liz truss would probably try to be a film star or something instead.

and in china, they have a nationwide cadre system that is more-or-less designed to weed out the wannabe napoleons. that’s why, when you see a photo of the chinese politburo, they are utterly uniform and basically indistinguishable from each other. there are fierce rivalries and factions and bitter clashes, and it’s all completely invisible, by design. a chinese liz truss would probably try to be a film star or something instead.
thanks.

Interesting. I have had some incredibly strange/revealing conversations with what turned out to be children of senior/monied CCP, so I had to some extent realised how different things seemed to be within that strata(?) of society. The strangeness and how far away from what I'd have considered normal blew me away so much I wasn't able to do much other arrive at that realization, but I can see what you're saying fitting.

Erm ... why? Is Keir Starmer Jewish?

His wife and two children are. She is also a Lady from a previous marriage ! It's not possible for a Jewish man to raise his children Jewish if he marries a non Jewish woman but a Jewish woman can do so as far as I know. Which is besides the point of course.

His wife and two children are. She is also a Lady from a previous marriage ! It's not possible for a Jewish man to raise his children Jewish if he marries a non Jewish woman but a Jewish woman can do so as far as I know. Which is besides the point of course.

In the religion jewishness is passed down through the maternal line. Or at least the more orthodox versions of it.

so liz truss says she'll 'just ignore' nicola sturgeon because she's an attention seeker.
one of the main issues with politicians like that in britain is they make our lot look almost good.

Bit of a crossover from the Hellworld thread, but hey pete, fuck this place, merge threads pls.

I don't think Truss understands how tax works. Tax cuts aren't going to help people who don't earn very much money in the first place. It'd be almost reassuring if she knew but just didn't care, that would imply there was a brain in that wind tunnel of a head. But I think she just doesn't understand. I think, as someone else as said, she's like a moron running for some minor student union position.

Me and the boss sat on the train the other day. I found a two day old Metro newspaper which had a pic of Truss on it. I showed it to the boss and said "It's not just me, you can tell, looking at her, look at her face, LOOK AT HER FACE, she's clearly mentally ill".
"Yes, she's a complete lunatic"
"I mean, she's not just stupid, she needs help. She's not well".
"Yes, I'm not just being partisan, she is clearly mentally ill".*

Random dude sitting behind us was cracking up.

*I've used quotations, but what I've written is not literally what was said. I've tried to get the vibe of the conversation.

Bit of a crossover from the Hellworld thread, but hey pete, fuck this place, merge threads pls.

I don't think Truss understands how tax works. Tax cuts aren't going to help people who don't earn very much money in the first place. It'd be almost reassuring if she knew but just didn't care, that would imply there was a brain in that wind tunnel of a head. But I think she just doesn't understand. I think, as someone else as said, she's like a moron running for some minor student union position.
I'm sorry man but you're being very generous to the "the problem with poor people is that they exist" party here.

I'm sorry man but you're being very generous to the "the problem with poor people is that they exist" party here.
Elucidate please.

Before I get all FURIOUSTYPING.

I clearly don't understand where you're coming from.

My general idea was that Truss and Sunak both want to lower tax, in different ways. Grand. But that won't help those who are struggling now. And it won't help those people to pay their bills because a tax cut doesn't actually help them that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back