Home improvement (1 Viewer)

the fucker had his head and shoulders up in the attic where its clearrly visible on the edge of the hatch opening and on the joist just up on the inside. he must be blind if he couldnt see it.
ineptitude at large. mr exterminator said he's successfully helped people take cases aginst poor pre-purchase surveys in the past and that we'd have a strong case.
only problem is is that our solicitor recommended him.

holy fuck, no earths installed is a massive risk to injury / life / fire. shit that would have you up in front of a judge.

yep - some of the plugs were earthed locally at the board, but not properly grounded outside. none of the lights were.

The worst thing is we had another electrician in after we moved in, who would have installed/moved various things. he said or did nothing about the earths. We only found out when we had a local decent guy in who fixed it. I mentioned at the time was there a process to report the guy who saw the mess and left it as was, but he (the good guy) was pretty cagey about it

yep - some of the plugs were earthed locally at the board, but not properly grounded outside. none of the lights were.

The worst thing is we had another electrician in after we moved in, who would have installed/moved various things. he said or did nothing about the earths. We only found out when we had a local decent guy in who fixed it. I mentioned at the time was there a process to report the guy who saw the mess and left it as was, but he (the good guy) was pretty cagey about it

The lad who came in after yous moved in should have carried out numerous tests after changing a few things, especially since you just moved in and didn't know the state / history of anything
Should have been reported to RECI,
Presumingably you checked he was a member?

The lad who came in after yous moved in should have carried out numerous tests after changing a few things, especially since you just moved in and didn't know the state / history of anything
Should have been reported to RECI,
Presumingably you checked he was a member?

he had a registration number etc, so we presumed at the time he was ok. It would never in a million years occur to me that someone would walk away from something that was that dangerous - particularly when he would have gotten paid more to fix it. (this was back in 2014 - before things really picked back up for small builders). We did have a bit of a row with him over the snags, a gave up chasing him, so put down not getting a cert for the works he did down to that. We also desperately needed to get into the gaff as there was a lot of DIY work needed to make the place livable.

Foolish/naïve on our behalves. lucky we didn't get fried.

Possible under floor heating alternative - I’ll be looking into this for when our 25+ year old gas boiler finally dies.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Possible under floor heating alternative - I’ll be looking into this for when our 25+ year old gas boiler finally dies.

Is that Kryten?

The lady here is a natural salesperson.
The dude is a worker. He should be made wait til after the sale.

Last edited:
Here's a remedial question

If these InfraRed panels pull 900-1200 watts
Is it safe to say that whatever I am paying the ESB for a KwH is the cost to run one of them for an hour?

1656608943108.png

I really wish I understood amps and volts and watts
And I totally do not

yeah, the 1200W one would cost approx 30c per hour i reckon. if your average irish house is say 100sqm (a guess), you'd need six going by their estimate, using the lower end of it. so say 2 quid an hour to heat the house, or if they were on for an anverage fo five hours a day, €300 a month.

god knows what they mean by 'net zero'. if you're using fully 'green' electricity, then yes, maybe.

yeah, the 1200W one would cost approx 30c per hour i reckon. if your average irish house is say 100sqm (a guess), you'd need six going by their estimate, using the lower end of it. so say 2 quid an hour to heat the house, or if they were on for an anverage fo five hours a day, €300 a month.

god knows what they mean by 'net zero'. if you're using fully 'green' electricity, then yes, maybe.
Ok, first up. Thank you for the answer.
At a random guess, I'm thinking you need about 10x area of solar panels to infrared panels and clear skies - and you have 'free' heat.

Not sure about heat you can 'feel' like the sun.

Ok, first up. Thank you for the answer.
At a random guess, I'm thinking you need about 10x area of solar panels to infrared panels and clear skies - and you have 'free' heat.

Not sure about heat you can 'feel' like the sun.
WGeyvAN.gif

it's quite simple - if a heater uses 1000W to run, that's the max amount of heat it can put out. you don't need to worry about amps, the amount of current pulled just falls out of the 230V feed in and whatever wattage is pulled.
I want to understand teh whole thing
Like how many watts is my TV and my oven and all that
So I know how many sockets to put on a run circuit etc etc

That said, I still don't get what you said above - will need to read it three or four more times :)

it's a multiplication factor; something using 1100W on a standard domestic electricity supply will pull about 5A, voltage x current gives the watts.

I want to understand teh whole thing
Like how many watts is my TV and my oven and all that
So I know how many sockets to put on a run circuit etc etc

That said, I still don't get what you said above - will need to read it three or four more times :)

Depending on the load / amount of things connected, you might have to upgrade your circuit breaker from 20A.
Unlikely. But a consideration. Think the next one up is usually 32A

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back