Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

Me reading an interview with Tadej Pogacar and thinking about me on my fixie, and how we're both about the same as cyclists

Spiritually

Purists like

View attachment 15914
did you see what happened at the end of the 2022 Tour of Flanders?
as someone said ''in a two man race Pogacar managed to finish 4th''. he had never ridden the race before but came to win. really angry with himself after.
extremely unusual for a TdF winner to ride Flanders
EDIT: or Pogacar to be angry (or have anything to be angry about) end edit.

anyway please return to talking about riding bikes rather than just watching like me.

did you see what happened at the end of the 2022 Tour of Flanders?
I did not
But I feel like I am against computers in general
If he's the best, and can't win against lads with computers, then I am definitely against them
And radios
The Anna Kiesenhofer story really cemented my Luddite beliefs in this matter

I will only ride a steel frame
Probably something to do with my inner nobility

I did not
But I feel like I am against computers in general
If he's the best, and can't win against lads with computers, then I am definitely against them
And radios
The Anna Kiesenhofer story really cemented my Luddite beliefs in this matter

I will only ride a steel frame
Probably something to do with my inner nobility
in Flanders it was useless tactics by Tadej - he sat on MVP's wheel and they slowed down so much two lads they left for dead caught up in the finish straight. then the MVP won anyway Pogacar got boxed in and finshed fourth.
I missed AK's win that morning and after rewatching it I realised it was a fantastic win in Tokyo.
I was so surprised someone I didn't know won I initially wasn't happy.

the term 'anaerobic threshold' was coined by the original head of the Italian dodgy doctor clan Prof. Francesco Conconi (b. 1935). in the early 1980's he came up with a simple equation where anyone who knew their resting pulse and maximum heart rate could work out their threshold on a heart monitor and not go into the red - their cruising speed.
after his early client Francesco Moser had a fantastic year in 1984 and used this (and blood doping - later admitted it) to beat Merckx's 1972 hour record. gradually everyone had to use heart monitors during the 90's.
then Conconi and his students, doctors Michele Ferrari, Luigi Cecchini and Carlo Santuccione ended coaching most of the most successful cyclists in the 90's EPO era.

so yeah heart monitors definitely ruined cycling - in many ways.

there's a lad on boards whose life may have been saved by one. his HRM was giving him very strange readings (was reading 80bpm when he was going all out), so he tried a club mate's one. same issue. i think someone in his club heard and told him to go to the doctor immediately, and it turns out he had a heart issue.
the op to fix it was to cauterize the inside of part of his heart, IIRC.

in Flanders it was useless tactics by Tadej - he sat on MVP's wheel and they slowed down so much two lads they left for dead caught up in the finish straight. then the MVP won anyway Pogacar got boxed in and finshed fourth.
I missed AK's win that morning and after rewatching it I realised it was a fantastic win in Tokyo.
I was so surprised someone I didn't know won I initially wasn't happy.

the term 'anaerobic threshold' was coined by the original head of the Italian dodgy doctor clan Prof. Francesco Conconi (b. 1935). in the early 1980's he came up with a simple equation where anyone who knew their resting pulse and maximum heart rate could work out their threshold on a heart monitor and not go into the red - their cruising speed.
after his early client Francesco Moser had a fantastic year in 1984 and used this (and blood doping - later admitted it) to beat Merckx's 1972 hour record. gradually everyone had to use heart monitors during the 90's.
then Conconi and his students, doctors Michele Ferrari, Luigi Cecchini and Carlo Santuccione ended coaching most of the most successful cyclists in the 90's EPO era.

I have a friend training for IronMan and she's doing all this heart rate training
Running within a certain zone or whatever - I haven't a clue
RUnning isn't you typical fun anyways, but this takes the joy out of it, it seems to me.

I have a friend training for IronMan and she's doing all this heart rate training
Running within a certain zone or whatever - I haven't a clue
RUnning isn't you typical fun anyways, but this takes the joy out of it, it seems to me.
you can see your anaerobic threshold if you're on the bike, and in ok shape i guess.
You can meter out the watts incrementing slightly and watching how your pulse reacts. Your pulse will feel almost completely controllable up until you cross the threshold. Once you pass some magic number the linear relationship between increasing effort / increasing pulse stops and your pulse starts raising in a less controllable way and doesn't result in the increasing wattage you'd expect when you're under the limit.

Basically there's a pulse/power plot with a roughly straight line up until the threshold, then the plot kicks up on different trajectory.

you can see your anaerobic threshold if you're on the bike, and in ok shape i guess.
You can meter out the watts incrementing slightly and watching how your pulse reacts. Your pulse will feel almost completely controllable up until you cross the threshold. Once you pass some magic number the linear relationship between increasing effort / increasing pulse stops and your pulse starts raising in a less controllable way and doesn't result in the increasing wattage you'd expect when you're under the limit.

Basically there's a pulse/power plot with a roughly straight line up until the threshold, then the plot kicks up on different trajectory.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me, but i am a little to thick or ignorant to take it in

Maybe I should be nicer to my friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back