Home improvement (1 Viewer)

I hate all this hidden shit in kitchens

I have to work with design firms at times and the amount of super rich people hiding shit behind panels is wild
They don't want to see what things are
It's like this Apple design prerogative of everything being smooth with no buttons or wires that everyone is in love with - and it sucks balls - things should be what they are

Working on this right now

View attachment 15900

But you see it everywhere
Like this kitchen seems fine

View attachment 15901

but it comes with doors so you don't have to see it

View attachment 15902

I hate this design aesthetic
LET THINGS BE WHAT THEY ARE

Motherfuckers think they are in Dune

View attachment 15903

Paul Atreides' jacks

View attachment 15904

I fitted Bulthaup kitchens about 20 years ago. This was exactly the shit we did. In fairness most of the kitchens seemed to be designed to cook in but it was obvious that some weren't. Then there's ovens in both the kitchen and utility room.

I've got this gaff that basically needs a new gaff attached to the roof followed by a replacement root kinda deal.

For big projects is there any big no-nos or things I should aim at?

There's weird things like the house doesn't have a heating system other than fireplaces in the rooms, two foot+ walls, all sorts of weird choices in various rooms, every door in the place is a different height and most of them are too low, the list goes on. It's 200+ years old, ~nothing seems standard

I've got this gaff that basically needs a new gaff attached to the roof followed by a replacement root kinda deal.

For big projects is there any big no-nos or things I should aim at?

There's weird things like the house doesn't have a heating system other than fireplaces in the rooms, two foot+ walls, all sorts of weird choices in various rooms, every door in the place is a different height and most of them are too low, the list goes on. It's 200+ years old, ~nothing seems standard
Attached to the roof?

Like an extra storey added?

If there is no heating system and you are starting from scratch - and it's a gut reno - you might consider underfloor heating
Easy to do when it's not a house someone is actively living in

Attached to the roof?

Like an extra storey added?

If there is no heating system and you are starting from scratch - and it's a gut reno - you might consider underfloor heating
Easy to do when it's not a house someone is actively living in
Nah i was joking. I was implying that more or less everything in the place could probably do with work.

I could live on the upstairs floor, more or less. I don't really have a spare place to live ATM, but I was thinking about underfloor. I was thinking about underfloor on the ground floor, opening up a lot of the south facing stuff / pulling out the ceilings etc and using passive solar for the upstairs floors.

I guess the question is: how long does the installation typically take? I could handle a couple of weeks without too much pain.

Nah i was joking. I was implying that more or less everything in the place could probably do with work.

I could live on the upstairs floor, more or less. I don't really have a spare place to live ATM, but I was thinking about underfloor. I was thinking about underfloor on the ground floor, opening up a lot of the south facing stuff / pulling out the ceilings etc and using passive solar for the upstairs floors.

I guess the question is: how long does the installation typically take? I could handle a couple of weeks without too much pain.
Everything about these types of projects is specific to the house and its idiosyncrasies
Finding someone to do the work will be as tough as any other part of it
Figuring out what's involved - educating yourself - will help things go easier

What is your ground floor structure?

Everything about these types of projects is specific to the house and its idiosyncrasies
Finding someone to do the work will be as tough as any other part of it
Figuring out what's involved - educating yourself - will help things go easier

What is your ground floor structure?

Yeah, agreed. Trying to get a lad in the door is tricky enough these days it's seeming.

Concrete (?) I think. There's some ancient tiles in parts of it, and I think various levels of concrete throughout. Even the concrete feels a bit knackered in areas. Also, I think the entire floor is sloping kind of in the same direction that the ground outside is. Like if you walk along the hall from front to back it's sloping away the whole way.
I was thinking all of this could be fixed if I pull the subfloor out and put a single level, while doing the underfloor stuff.

Yeah, agreed. Trying to get a lad in the door is tricky enough these days it's seeming.

Concrete (?) I think. There's some ancient tiles in parts of it, and I think various levels of concrete throughout. Even the concrete feels a bit knackered in areas. Also, I think the entire floor is sloping kind of in the same direction that the ground outside is. Like if you walk along the hall from front to back it's sloping away the whole way.
I was thinking all of this could be fixed if I pull the subfloor out and put a single level, while doing the underfloor stuff.
A long spirit level will tell you everything you need to know about how the floor is sloping

Or failing that, a ball

Underfloor heating will lose you some floor to ceiling height
And you would need to decide what method you will be using for heating the house - oil, gas, heat pump, solar etc
In construction, so many things are contingent on each other

A long spirit level will tell you everything you need to know about how the floor is sloping

Or failing that, a ball

And you would need to decide what method you will be using for heating the house - oil, gas, heat pump, solar etc
yeah. we're talking more than 200 years old though. There's irregularities on top of the irregularities. Nothing is flat or straight, things will roll to some extent but it's off in every direction so it's hard to see. I think it's more of a laser level sort of thing.

I doing actually care about the unevenness by itself, but I think re doing the floor would fix a lot of issues.

I guess I just need to get a lad in the front door. JFC though, that's easier said than done.

yeah. we're talking more than 200 years old though. There's irregularities on top of the irregularities. Nothing is flat or straight, things will roll to some extent but it's off in every direction so it's hard to see. I think it's more of a laser level sort of thing.

I doing actually care about the unevenness by itself, but I think re doing the floor would fix a lot of issues.

I guess I just need to get a lad in the front door. JFC though, that's easier said than done.
Plus no one wants the difficult job
Lads want a quick in and out - they don't want a complex problem to solve

You can probably make up the slope in the floor with some system of leveling compound an insulation
Or you can just get radiators and live with it
There are almost endless videos online about this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, I had a look at some vids. It's a big topic, and it's all very well watching videos but that doesn't mean anything if no one's going to taking the job.

Regarding the floors, I already have doors too low, I can't lose any height there at all. In fact I need the floors lowered a little bit if possible. I can raise the door frames, but some floors are silly, head almost touching the ceiling in one room.

Another part of it was the place was built over time. I think there's about three builds done here, each sort of adjoining the other.

Or failing that, a ball

Well, if the concrete floor is knackered you would dig that out and claw back some of the height, na? Might be an argument in favour of doing both jobs at once. (Edit...that's probably what you're suggesting...apologies if so. Yeah, you'd still lose a wee bit of height)

@flashback...why underfloor? It's the most expensive way of distributing heat through your house. In terms of installing it. I've been getting great advice here about sealing up gaps and cracks and just getting on with simple(r) solutions. I suppose if the house is really tiny it might be worthwhile / cost-effective as you wouldn't waste any wall space putting up rads.

Really getting a lot out of this discussion by the way...@ernesto I'm particularly interested in your woodworm problem, I'm hitting something similar here. Very severe. I think it might be all gone, although I'm not taking any chances, but it's devastated the floor joists in one room. I'm buying some acros and boards to support it and buy me some time.

So Mr exterminator man has been in and given me his opinion and will email me a detailed report.

suffice to say, the woodworm is treatable but has clearly been there for years and must have been known about, due to evidence of prior old failed treatment methods. and is visible in some places.

before we bought it our evaulation report from the bank and our structural survey from some archtiects never picked up on it. Mr exterminator is going to charge €2.5K to treat all the joists and whatever floorbooards we leave down. he reckons we'd have a case against the surveyors.

either way im ripping up carpets, taking up most floorboards and have to empty the attic of allllll the shitty old insulation in it. fork out aload of money to mr exterminator,

then buy lots of materials and reinstall everything

interestingly enough i was also looking up underfloor water heating (wavin?) the last few days. toying with the idea of getting rid of the radiators upstairs

So Mr exterminator man has been in and given me his opinion and will email me a detailed report.

suffice to say, the woodworm is treatable but has clearly been there for years and must have been known about, due to evidence of prior old failed treatment methods. and is visible in some places.

before we bought it our evaulation report from the bank and our structural survey from some archtiects never picked up on it. Mr exterminator is going to charge €2.5K to treat all the joists and whatever floorbooards we leave down. he reckons we'd have a case against the surveyors.

either way im ripping up carpets, taking up most floorboards and have to empty the attic of allllll the shitty old insulation in it. fork out aload of money to mr exterminator,

then buy lots of materials and reinstall everything

interestingly enough i was also looking up underfloor water heating (wavin?) the last few days. toying with the idea of getting rid of the radiators upstairs
fucking hell.

I do think the pre-sale surveys tend to be pretty superficial - for no other reason than you generally can't go knocking holes in walls, or ripping off wallpaper/carpets of a house you don't yet own. From my direct and second hand experience they are more likely to pick up on regulatory stuff, than the more subtle structural things. (for example, our house was re-wired by cowboys 5 or so years previous to us buying it. They had run earth wires to all the outlets, but neither ran them back properly to a central ground, or installed a proper earth rod. So if you looked at the fusebox, unscrewed a ceiling rose, it all looked kosher - but was very fucking dodgy indeed)

in terms of the underfloor heating -given you'll have to do a shit load of the prep work anyway, it would be worth considering.

those pre-sales surveys aren't worth the paper they're written on. i remember when i bought my first house, with a significant proportion of it under a flat roof, i found out afterwards that the survey did not include any inspection of the roof *except from the ground*, but saw fit to comment on the fact that the wallpaper was dated and probably should be refreshed.

those pre-sales surveys aren't worth the paper they're written on. i remember when i bought my first house, with a significant proportion of it under a flat roof, i found out afterwards that the survey did not include any inspection of the roof *except from the ground*, but saw fit to comment on the fact that the wallpaper was dated and probably should be refreshed.

were they right about the wallpaper though?

Well, if the concrete floor is knackered you would dig that out and claw back some of the height, na? Might be an argument in favour of doing both jobs at once. (Edit...that's probably what you're suggesting...apologies if so. Yeah, you'd still lose a wee bit of height)

Yeah, for sure you could do that. It's a ton of work and you end up needing a new floor slab.
Without knowing the existing conditions, it is tough to say what the right solution is.

You can consider doing some version of this
- run a 1x1 or 1x2 along the bottom of the joists
- lay rigid insulation on top of that
- attach heat spreader plates on joists
- run your PEX tubing on the plates

1656599250453.png

But I am pretty sure - not positive- you need a fairly balanced system - i.e. the various runs of PEX should be somewhat close to each other in overall length

If you want to do it, now is the time
But it is quite a bit of work. And it's a lot of planning.

fucking hell.

I do think the pre-sale surveys tend to be pretty superficial - for no other reason than you generally can't go knocking holes in walls, or ripping off wallpaper/carpets of a house you don't yet own. From my direct and second hand experience they are more likely to pick up on regulatory stuff, than the more subtle structural things. (for example, our house was re-wired by cowboys 5 or so years previous to us buying it. They had run earth wires to all the outlets, but neither ran them back properly to a central ground, or installed a proper earth rod. So if you looked at the fusebox, unscrewed a ceiling rose, it all looked kosher - but was very fucking dodgy indeed)

in terms of the underfloor heating -given you'll have to do a shit load of the prep work anyway, it would be worth considering.

the fucker had his head and shoulders up in the attic where its clearrly visible on the edge of the hatch opening and on the joist just up on the inside. he must be blind if he couldnt see it.
ineptitude at large. mr exterminator said he's successfully helped people take cases aginst poor pre-purchase surveys in the past and that we'd have a strong case.
only problem is is that our solicitor recommended him.

holy fuck, no earths installed is a massive risk to injury / life / fire. shit that would have you up in front of a judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back