What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

When the Cat Comes (1963). A cool Czech movie about this traveling magician and his partner who have a cat that wears sunglasses and if the sunglasses come off everyone becomes coloured in a way that reveals their true nature. Some unhappy folk try to kill the cat.
LKEi.gif

Witchhammer (1970)
Another Czech one, about witch trials. Didn't like it.

Repentance (1984)
The day after the funeral of Varlam Aravidze, the mayor of a small Georgian town, his corpse turns up in his son’s garden. Although it is secretly reburied, the corpse keeps returning until the police capture the local woman who is responsible. This woman says that Varlam should never be laid to rest since his Stalin-like reign of terror led to the disappearance of her family and friends.
Really good

As if having to sit through the trailer a few times wasn't enough, this tweet from the deep well of joylessness that is Mark Cousin sealed the deal on me never watching it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lol, I watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. Right in my wheelhouse

Maeve

short impression: it was fantastic and everyone should watch it

longer thoughts: Ireland in the early 80s was not a fun place for a lot of people. the movie is set in Belfast (and was filmed there! how the fuck did they manage that?!?!) and tells a story of a young woman figuring a whole lot of things out. But it’s also got weird time jumps and a whole load of brain-stretching film experimentalism — like a recurring character who just deadpans nonsense stories straight to the camera, or scenes where the camera slowly does circular tracking shots (maybe mainly as some kind of godard or varda homage, I suppose), or scenes that occur in incongruous locations (graveyards, fields, giant’s causeway).

it’s firstly amazing to think that this movie ever got made, and then even more amazing to think that it got made by a first-time female director in her early thirties who was committed to making such a decidedly experimental movie. it got re-released last year and really it should be much more widely-known. Features way-ahead-of-its-time thematic dramatisations of questions relating to feminism, nationalism, violence, exile, dependence, colonialism, plenty more. It is not a perfect movie, but really that just makes it all the more charming and admirable.

i watched maeve at some point during lockdown. while i didn't think it was by any means perfect, i still found it riveting and really moving. the main thing i took from it was that, as a southerner, i really had/have no idea what it was like to be a catholic in the north during the troubles. it was very insightful, i thought

>amazing to think that this movie ever got made
i also think it could only have been made at that point in time. like, you couldn't remake it.

Symptoms 1974 British horror. Atmospheric

Symptoms 1974 British horror. Atmospheric

For someone who looks very much like her father, Angela Pleasance is strangely attractive in this

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back