I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

This has happened twice now, so I'm reporting it.
A sound like a badly tuned bass string twang has come from the sea at the end of my garden.
Like it's clearly audible, it's happened about the same time twice now, at around 11pm.

It's almost like a low sonar sound? But loud, a single one, and I can hear it on the land.
it can only be the call of cthulhu

I might have seen a Sea Eagle just by me.
I was out doing the daily walk and I noticed something big getting mobbed by seagulls. Then I realised the gulls were black backed gulls.

Black backed gulls look like Herring gulls or whatever, but they're way way bigger.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So there was an eagle type of thing that was dwarfing Black Backed gulls. And it wasn't just big compared to the gulls, it had that kinda thickness that reminded me of Bald Eagles in the US.
Like the buzzards and peregrines and gannets have a certain slightly elegant form factor. Whereas the Bald Eagles and Condors in South America even had a stocky fuck you element that was different. This guy had that stocky thickness going on.

I've never seen a Sea Eagle, I didn't think they'd reach down this far. I asked around and I got a confirmed sighting in Nohoval, which isn't that far from me by sea. So I guess it's possible. But yeah, massive lad altogether.

there's a sea eagle nest we passed by on the way to garinish island, but the fuckers weren't there as we passed. probably off eagling elsewhere.
Garnish I'd believe. Didn't they start them up in Kerry somewhere?

I walked over to the headland by Ballyandreen and saw this guy. Be a fair fly from Garnish. Or Kerry.

I dunno. Mulder from the X Files territory. I'd like to believe.

What else is going to dwarf black backed gulls?

I might have seen a Sea Eagle just by me.
I was out doing the daily walk and I noticed something big getting mobbed by seagulls. Then I realised the gulls were black backed gulls.

Black backed gulls look like Herring gulls or whatever, but they're way way bigger.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So there was an eagle type of thing that was dwarfing Black Backed gulls. And it wasn't just big compared to the gulls, it had that kinda thickness that reminded me of Bald Eagles in the US.
Like the buzzards and peregrines and gannets have a certain slightly elegant form factor. Whereas the Bald Eagles and Condors in South America even had a stocky fuck you element that was different. This guy had that stocky thickness going on.

I've never seen a Sea Eagle, I didn't think they'd reach down this far. I asked around and I got a confirmed sighting in Nohoval, which isn't that far from me by sea. So I guess it's possible. But yeah, massive lad altogether.

Could be a sea eagle. We saw one last time we were in Glengariff. Huge bird - absolutely wonderful.

The swallows have laid their eggs at last. They had the feathery bed laid for the eggs just before they laid them. The wrens in the US laid their eggs on a bit of snake skin.

Anyway I get bollocked out of it if I go in that shed at night now, although they'll tolerate me getting stuff in there during the day.

1655583424266.png

Checked back into the nest this morning, there's five eggs now.

There's a couple of bikes underneath the nest, and there's at least two cats wandering about this end of the village. I think I'll clear out the bikes in case they can climb up on them.
There's already bits of mud on the cover of one from the nest building so that might turn into a rain of baby swallow shite at some point anyway.

The parents are extremely cute looking poking their delicate little heads out of the nest watching me. The colouration is great, deep red necks, going to kind of iridescent black-blue.

The swallows are cracking me up.

This morning I went in to get something, it was raining and had a look to see if they were home. They were flaked out sort of on top of the nest, a pile of wings and tails sticking out.

I'm not sure how I imagined swallows slept, but they're so svelte and fancy looking I assumed it would be pretty put together. Plus is was about 11am, it looked like they'd not moved since the previous day. I'm guessing that was because it was raining, but it felt very relatable.

Then they heard me and quickly got the wings and everything organized, and went back to their poking heads out mode.

Some stupid bastard cat destroyed a blackbirds nest in our garden 3 years ago and they have never made another one since. Still see that prick about.

Some stupid bastard cat destroyed a blackbirds nest in our garden 3 years ago and they have never made another one since. Still see that prick about.
oh mate.
Yeah, roaming cats are grim reapers.

This morning due to a strange series of events I was out in the garden before sunrise, and there was a blackbird (I'm fairly sure) doing this amazing pre dawn slow song thing. The whole scene was beautiful, sun rising over the water, barely a breath of air, a couple of gulls starting to fly around and a single blackbird going over their songs next to me.

oh mate.
Yeah, roaming cats are grim reapers.

This morning due to a strange series of events I was out in the garden before sunrise, and there was a blackbird (I'm fairly sure) doing this amazing pre dawn slow song thing. The whole scene was beautiful, sun rising over the water, barely a breath of air, a couple of gulls starting to fly around and a single blackbird going over their songs next to me.
Totally worth coming back to Ireland for

A young sparrow got into the kitchen this morning. After a couple of goes directing it out of the window I was just able to grab it and take it to the back door.

When I opened my hands it flew right out of them, back into the house and smashed off one of the windows stunning itself.

Had to pick it up and laid it on the oil tank hoping it'd get itself back together, when I checked 15 minutes later it was starting to come too. It's gone now, so I assume it flew off. Not a huge amount of cats around here.

A young sparrow got into the kitchen this morning. After a couple of goes directing it out of the window I was just able to grab it and take it to the back door.

When I opened my hands it flew right out of them, back into the house and smashed off one of the windows stunning itself.

Had to pick it up and laid it on the oil tank hoping it'd get itself back together, when I checked 15 minutes later it was starting to come too. It's gone now, so I assume it flew off. Not a huge amount of cats around here.

Yeah there were a couple of baby goldfinches strolling about in the kitchen this morning but flew back out the big doors when I came back. I think the fledglings are extra ballsy or inquisitive.

They've no cop on
Youth of today. They're taking the piss like.

They fly in beside people who are feeling and boot them out of the way and start fights. THEN they land beside other grownups and start squawking and doing the baby bird feed-me open beak thing.

Then there's more fights when the adult tells them to fuck off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back