pride vs rte (2 Viewers)

I hated turning into an adult as a young teen. If I could have stopped it (with blockers etc) I might well have.
and unless it caused me health problems, I highly doubt I would have regretted it -
Why? I was just happy as I was!

The rules for trans women competitive cyclists were made a lot stricter yesterday by the world governing body the UCI (acceptable testosterone level was halved).
don't want to derail this into cycling thread but it's another sign trans women issues are not going to be sorted anytime soon.
respect is the key word here.
the sport thing is very, very complex. One thing I will say is that some elite women athletes coming out against trans inclusion are clearly doped off their fucking heads. What drugs do female athletes frequently take, when cheating? Fucking testosterone. So while I have sympathy with the issue, people like <well I won't name them but she's clearly a fucking doping cheat british cyclist> can fuck right off.

it also galls me how terfs and transphobes are taking the sport issue, which really only affects a tiny number of trans athletes (not to say its not important), and are using it as the main thrust of their anti-trans nazism. Twitter is fucking horrible right now.

There are clearly many issues here - and as ever, I am happy to defer to actual experts in their fields, for example, in terms of sport - FINA, who this morning (or perhaps over the weekend) issued new guidelines about swimming competitions. Rigour, research and patience is really the key to working things out equitably. And I suppose while various people are arguing about things on Twitter, there are people in the background actually doing the work. I salute those people. But I still find Thumped interesting :).

I've a notion it was someone from here that was saying to me recently that basketball should have height classes like boxing has weights.

I'm all for that anywhoo.

There are clearly many issues here - and as ever, I am happy to defer to actual experts in their fields, for example, in terms of sport - FINA, who this morning (or perhaps over the weekend) issued new guidelines about swimming competitions. Rigour, research and patience is really the key to working things out equitably. And I suppose while various people are arguing about things on Twitter, there are people in the background actually doing the work. I salute those people. But I still find Thumped interesting :).
it's not just trans women who are affected by these type of decisions. there's no guarantee of equality even for women athletes. the Court of Abitration for Sport banned women runners like Caster Semenya and told them they have to take drugs if they wanted to stay competing.
those women even had their gender (assinged at birth) questioned.

We are not talking about men's sports here, we are talking about women's. This is a key point as well. And again, I will always defer to those who know more about this than I do-people who are experts in this field, who are trying to balance things. They are trying to navigate these complex issues the best they can. Fairness is key, it is a cornerstone of sport. Again, some of the language used here on Thumped to describe certain things relating to these issues, I am deeply uncomfortable with, and I don't agree with. But that is my own position. Everyone has their own. And honestly, as a woman, I feel quite down the last few years with a lot of this discourse, it's the worst time I can recall. But I am going to stop repeating myself and move along to see if there are any interesting concerts that might be coming up instead, something to look forward to :).

I wasn't talking about men's sports (?) YoungHearts. to be clear:
'the experts' at CAS banned women with hyperandrogenism from competing unless they took drugs when they should have had no case to answer.
these women were in IMO treated probably worse than trans women athletes for reasons I've never understood. Can we trust the CAS after this?

I have very carefully thought through everything I posted on this thread, I am not intending to offend anyone.

I wasn't talking about men's sports (?) YoungHearts. to be clear:
'the experts' at CAS banned women with hyperandrogenism from competing unless they took drugs when they should have had no case to answer.
these women were in IMO treated probably worse than trans women athletes for reasons I've never understood. Can we trust the CAS after this?

I have very carefully thought through everything I posted on this thread, I am not intending to offend anyone.
My point wasn't directed at you specifically, it's about some of the language used relating to these issues on Thumped that I don't agree with or feel comfortable with - that's how I feel. And we all feel as we feel! And I think that's fair. But my point is, that the discourse - in this instance relating to sport - is swirling around women's sports (I also know about the Caster situation very well). We don't have this discourse around men's sports. That's a key point. This also follows in many circumstances, which have been well outlined earlier in this thread by others, in terms of legislation and so on. That there are issues and conflicts are very clear. That this also engages with nuance is also very clear. But the nuance gets lost. But yes, I think my contribution to this thread has been exhausted, or perhaps I am exhausted, ha.

My point wasn't directed at you specifically, it's about some of the language used relating to these issues on Thumped that I don't agree with or feel comfortable with - that's how I feel. And we all feel as we feel! And I think that's fair. But my point is, that the discourse - in this instance relating to sport - is swirling around women's sports (I also know about the Caster situation very well). We don't have this discourse around men's sports. That's a key point. This also follows in many circumstances, which have been well outlined earlier in this thread by others, in terms of legislation and so on. That there are issues and conflicts are very clear. That this also engages with nuance is also very clear. But the nuance gets lost. But yes, I think my contribution to this thread has been exhausted, or perhaps I am exhausted, ha.
Ok - cheers YoungHearts

We don't have this discourse around men's sports. That's a key point.
i assume because testosterone is seen as 'native' to men, and having high (natural) levels is OK in men's sport (though it is a controlled substance in that you're not allowed artificially boost your testosterone levels)

From everything I've read FINA seemed to have done the work, gathered evidence, listened to all sides with empathy
Overall, the women who are arguing for fairness in women's sports - Sonia O'Sullivan, Martina Navratilova, Sharron Davies etc - don't seem to be acting out of anything other than keeping the fairness in women's sports.
It's why we have distinct eligibility requirements for women's sports to begin with.

Honestly seems like good judgement being exercised here (although I know not everyone will agree) and we need more of this thoughtful, careful consideration of the issues.

A lot of idiots are going to be triumphal about this, but that's not what matters ultimately.

Got bored about halfway through.
Can someone with more patience please summarise?
The "impartial" group of people who Joe spoke with are not impartial. When they say they are being silenced it's because they openly declared they were going to disrupt a meeting and consequently were not invited. They weren't neutral concerned voices, they belong to an active anti-trans group.

Whether this matters to people or not remains to be seen.

Maybe There should just be two sports gender categories when it comes to sports?
Women, and then everyone else
That's exactly what we have, right? Nobody's arguing that trans men shouldn't be allowed to compete with non-trans men, I don't think, or if they have I haven't noticed. Any kerfuffle there is seems to be about trans women, whether it's sports or outside sports. Nobody gives a shit if an assigned-female-at-birth man is pissing in a urinal or racing Usain Bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back