Not Ireland (1 Viewer)

The buses in minneapolis had a big bike rack stuck on the front.

View attachment 15779
Snap, I was thinking about this recently. Remember this from Portland, OR too. Be perfect for tipping in for cans at a mate's house, and then plopping the bike on the front of the bus on the way home.

I'm sure it's not done because people would see it as another bike robbing opportunity when the bus was stalled in traffic. That an all sorts of insurance hassle.

An airport line would be good, but imagine an arc line running something like Dun Laoighaire - Sandyford - Tallaght - Clondalkin - Lucan - Blanch - Santry - optional Airport - Coolock - Baldoyle , that would surely take an absolutely massive amount of traffic out of the city. Actually, the bus companies would go mental...
Fuck buses!

On the subject of PT and how they do it in other countries, in Seattle in the bus, we were paying getting on when inbound to the city, and while getting off outbound. That way the dwell time at the busy city centre stops was much reduced. It was a flat fare which allowed for that.
also worth mentioning -when the buses did reach the city centre, the driver got out and swung a boom arm up to hook the bus into the electrical cables in the way a tram would, so they went from diesel to electric in the city centre. that was 2003 i was there, i think.

Oh yeah, they used to do that electric arm thing in San Francisco too, I thought it was cool. Occasionally the arm would become disconnected and he'd have to do it again. And you could have unlimited travel for $9 a week.

Apart from the whole luas system that's true :p Went digging on the wiki there- seems the airport line was supposed to be in the luas project and was dropped at some point.
the metro was originally envisaged as an express link between the airport and the city centre IIRC but morphed over the years into a commuter line.
it was also meant to go past my house on stilts at one point - the previous owner of my house was very involved in the campaign to drop it to road level.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To prove this, I am on the 41 from the airport now and fucking hell, Dublin Bus drivers are still right pricks. First driver was a real tossed to an American for not knowing that the bus wasn’t going in his direction. Then the next driver hid in his bus until the queue left for another bus and only then opened his doors. Third attempt and I’ve gotten onto the bus.

the metro was originally envisaged as an express link between the airport and the city centre IIRC but morphed over the years into a commuter line.
it was also meant to go past my house on stilts at one point - the previous owner of my house was very involved in the campaign to drop it to road level.

It would have indeed been a travesty if your view of the lady of victories church was obscured

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back