New Manics single (3 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I want the newly reformed ABBA actually singing this one

Here's another candidate for the ABBA album that we wanted to happen.

As a little merry Christmas to the fans of this thread, here's JDB dressed for a wedding, playing Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll for the first time in the UK at 47. (He was 23 when GT came out)

It was the 17th song on a 23 strong set list, including the holy bible being played in full first. Sang and riffed his heart out.

An insane amount of comments on this, such strong opinions!

Happy 30th anniversary to Generation Terrorists, forever their best album.

Theres actually loads of songs I don't know there.
I just found myself reading their biography while kipping at someone's gaff once, then timt,tmy came out and was everywhere. Then because of the book The Holy Bible was the album I chose to buy at HMV or Zhivago's, and it suited my moody mood at the time.

It's a list as good as any other, not what i'd choose of course but at least it's career spanning. The only one on there I actively dislike is the Masses Against the Classes, those stupid lyrics about themselves, the twist and shout bit, the godawful cloth-eared zoom 505 production on it. blergh. Good guitar solo though, i'll give it that.

A Billion Balconies and Let's Go to War though...what the fuck?! I was having a good break from listening to the Manics and now I'm going to have to go listen to some of these songs to reaffirm their mediocrity in my mind.

I know they always point to PiL and Magazine as musical touchstones for The Holy Bible (and quite rightly as well considering some of it was intentional and explicitly referenced) but, being that the Wildhearts supported the manics in 1992, when this song would have been a setlist regular, I always figured the riff/idea for Archives of Pain came from it:

A covers album / playlist. I was never a fan of their Umbrella cover (not featured here) but Borderline is pretty decent

Three disc version of Know Your Enemy coming soon according to advance listings on some websites. The original album gets turned into a double with disc one getting the quieter songs and disc two getting the rockers.

I didn't buy any of reissues over the last few years but will be all over this one!

Three disc version of Know Your Enemy coming soon according to advance listings on some websites. The original album gets turned into a double with disc one getting the quieter songs and disc two getting the rockers.

I didn't buy any of reissues over the last few years but will be all over this one!
Ah yeah, I'm absolutely getting that. It'll have the same problems that album has always had but whatever, I'm all in at this point. More is better. I think My Guernica is my fav song on it outside of the singles.

I've gotten all the reissues at this point, actually I never had a physical copy of TIMTTMY before the reissue. Might visit a few charity shops to pick up that 900 page inlay it had.

I grudgingly listened to their Sweet Child O'Mine cover and it's a surprisingly endearing listen
Cant bring myself to listen to them. Manics and covers (usually) = plodding.

KYE feels like it is becoming the lost cult classic. This re-release sounds great.

So excited for this that I think I'll have to go to a shop and buy the cd on release day.

Manic Street Preachers release a radically reimagined version of their 6th album ‘Know Your Enemy’ on 9th September 2022. The new version of the album has been entirely remixed and reconstructed to form two separate albums as originally planned. ‘Know Your Enemy’ will be available digitally and as a 3 CD bookset, double CD and double album.

This deluxe release includes two previously unheard ‘forgotten’ tracks: ‘Studies in Paralysis’ and ‘Rosebud’, which is available online today (22nd July 2022). Beginning all wiry and cracked, ‘Rosebud’ soon opens out into a stuttering Hammond organ riff, a pensive rhythm track and a lyric that regrets “most things I never finished”. A Kieran Evans directed video for ‘Rosebud’ is online now.

Following the success of 1998’s’ This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours’, Manic Street Preachers planned an ambitious follow-up to be released as two distinct albums: an aggressive, rapid fire return to their roots called ‘Solidarity’ and ‘Door To The River’, a more conciliatory, reflective collection. During the recording sessions, the trio got cold feet and settled on a single album that forced often conflicting ideas to sit side by side on the same record. ‘Know Your Enemy’ was launched in February 2001 with a show at Teatro Karl Marx in Havana in front of the Cuban leader and charted at No.2 in the UK the following week, going on to see over half a million copies worldwide. The singles taken from the album: ‘So Why So Sad’, ‘Found That Soul’, ‘Ocean Spray’ and ‘Let Robeson Sing’ all reached the Top 20.

Whilst going through the band’s archive to put together an anniversary version of ‘Know Your Enemy’, Nicky Wire found the original tapes of ‘Solidarity’ and ‘Door To The River’ that he’d made up in the studio during recording. When he put forward the idea of recreating those records, James Dean Bradfield agreed on the condition that he could remix the entire record with the band’s longtime studio partner Dave Eringa. The new mixes would bring a clarity to each record, losing extraneous studio effects and digital noise from the ‘Solidarity’ songs and stripping away unnecessary orchestration and embellishment from the tracks that made up ‘Door To The River’.

Author and long-term band collaborator Robin Turner explains in his expansive sleeve notes that this release is “the Director’s Cut of ‘Know Your Enemy’. The picture has been painstakingly restored, cleaned up, brightened. Although it doesn’t aim to replace the original, it most certainly enhances it.”

The vinyl edition ‘Know Your Enemy’ presents ‘Solidarity’ and ‘Door To The River’ in the same order as originally planned in 2000. Each of the CD packages features those records in full plus outtakes, unused mixes by Tom Lord-Alge and tracks featured on the original ‘Know Your Enemy’ that aren’t on the two restructured albums. All formats feature previously unseen photos from the recording sessions taken by regular collaborator Mitch Ikeda.

Deluxe 3CD

Disc 1 – Door To The River

The Year of Purification
Ocean Spray
So Why So Sad (Avalanches Sean Penn Mix)
Door To The River
Rosebud
Just a Kid
His Last Painting
Let Robeson Sing
Groundhog Days
Epicentre
His Last Painting (LA Mix)
Epicentre (TLA Mix)
So Why So Sad (Original KYE Version)
Royal Correspondent

Disc 2 – Solidarity

Intravenous Agnostic
Found That Soul (TLA Mix)
We Are All Bourgeois Now
Freedom of Speech Won’t Feed My Children
The Convalescent
Baby Elian
Masses Against The Classes
My Guernica
Studies In Paralysis
Dead Martyrs
Wattsville Blues
Miss Europa Disco Dancer
Fear Of Motion
Pedestal
Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel
Locust Valley
Masking Tape
Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel

Disc 3 – Demos

Ocean Spray (Studio Demo)
So Why So Sad (Cassette Demo)
Door To The River (Cassette Demo)
His Last Painting (Air Version Home Cassette Demo)
Let Robeson Sing (Home Cassette Demo)
Groundhog Days (Home Cassette Demo)
Epicentre (Cassette Demo)
Intravenous Agnostic (Home Cassette Demo)
Freedom Of Speech Won’t Feed My Children (Studio Demo)
The Convalescent (Studio Rehearsal Demo)
His Last Painting Baby Elian (Studio Demo)
Masses Against The Classes (Studio Demo)
My Guernica No 1 (Home Acoustic Demo)
My Guernica (Studio Demo)
Dead Martyrs (Home Cassette Demo)
Wattsville Blues (Home Cassette Demo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back