Words and phrases that are soooo...meh! Like meh (2 Viewers)

200 years? It’s also widely used in zoology to describe similar arrangements in animals like lions where the offspring of multiple parents are cared for together while parents take turns to go hunting.

I can’t help you with your issue with the phonemes though. It’s literally what the legal profession is based on (Latin languages call a solicitor an avocado 🥑) and the word advocate is fairly common. Is your problem with the idea of advocacy, or the word itself?

None of these are digs by the way, I’m genuinely curious as to why these words which seem so everyday to me.
without recognising the word creche, I would have no idea how it was pronounced unless I knew it was French in origin and even then a cedilla would help.
according to things I read last night it has been in the English language for hundreds of years but I wasn't able to find out when it came to mean nursery.

Campaign is a far better word than advocacy, I would rather be called a campaigner. this used to be the case until until 15 years ago when suddenly the term advocacy came in.

same with survivor replacing victim. some may feel victim is appropiate to their experience.

My issue is having terms forced on you when you are OK with what is currently used.

any minority group can change the name they refer themselves as as often as THEY like and I will go with it.

some Oxford definitions:

advocate:
''a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy''
advocacy:
''public support for or recommendation of a particular cause or policy''

campaign:
''an organised course of action to achieve a goal''
campigner:
''a person who works in an organised and active way towards a goal''

advocacy merely means declaring support for something.
campaign means actively working towards achieving it.

"Campaign is a far better word than advocacy"

it's not a 'better' word, it's a different word. a different meaning, as you mention; the value you place on what the word *means* is not the same as the 'value' of the word itself.

My girlfriend worked in the National Advocacy Service for People with Disabilities

In that context, "advocacy" is appropriate

It's not merely declaring support, it's actively working to get a voice heard

that explains some of the weirdness.
just listened to this - good stuff on how quirks of history and technology made English a mess rules wise.

phlegm (WTF) is my favourite stupid spelling. the first time I saw it written down was in a German band name - ULCEROUS PHLEGM.

why learning the alphabet in Irish, French or whatever isn't/wasn't standard from the beginning in Irish schools is bizarre and a huge mistake.

also inflections or conjugation: no one ever explained to me at school why other languages worked like this
and as Erika says in the podcast it makes getting started very hard but pays off quickly when you master it.
as a kid I thought - why isn't there one standard word instead a male, female, you, me, we, they words.

Generally speaking, buying work clothes.

I just bought some work trousers. There's a super-duper diagram on the bag saying how great it is. It has "ergonomic combat pockets".

Combat pockets?!

Related, ebay descriptions in general. This belt is a great belt, almost industry standard at this stage. But god.

Generally speaking, buying work clothes.

I just bought some work trousers. There's a super-duper diagram on the bag saying how great it is. It has "ergonomic combat pockets".

Combat pockets?!

I was trying to find a way to give out about this last week.

Combat pockets.

Tactical fucking everything for men.

Every day carry / EDC. (when looking for a new wallet).

All gun/militia based terms designed to make office boys feel like action man for long enough to sell the some crap. It can fuck off.

Only some of the pockets are combat pockets. I'm not sure what I'm to do should I end up in Ukraine in the morning. Can I choose which pockets I take with me? Should I just send the pockets while I stay here and earn a living? They are ergonomic though, so I guess I need to be involved with the combat pockets. Otherwise they'd be just normal combat pockets and not ergonomic combat pockets.

Combat pockets.

All gun/militia based terms designed to make office boys feel like action man for long enough to sell the some crap. It can fuck off.
I wondered where all that kinda terminology came from..I thought it was just yanks

The cunts

Combat pockets.

It’s called Tacticool.

I do this one myself, i'm just writing it down to stop myself saying it

using ecosystem as a word to describe anything that isn't the actual ecosystem.

Stop it, Ann.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back