The Russian invasion of Ukraine (1 Viewer)

First the Russian milbloggers having a go, now this guy on the TV saying Russia is in trouble
Basically saying that in any fight, the guy that's willing to die has the advantage - and right now that's the Ukrainians

Your wan here keeps pushing back on the guy, but he's laying it out fairly plainly (or what passes for plainly) on Russian TV

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This guy got put back in his box

i don't think his two statements are mutually exclusive
for sure, talking on two different topics

but the perspective of "we have a very real morale problem" versus "our boys will make our enemy's weapon's disappear" is notable
and crucially, your wan isn't interrupting him every 20 seconds trying to save his life
dude is on message, and so he has the floor

I’ll warn you now this is a tough one to watch.

the video is by a woman called Julia Paevska

back in 2019, a different universe, it was still acceptable for mainstream journalists to to call her what she is: an ultranationalist

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 10.12.54 AM.png

taken from an article in January 2019 by those renowned tankie Putinists, the Pulitzer Center:

all I would say is — why do these people keep popping back up now? why do people who are “ultranationalist,” “ex-far-right,” “extremist,” “unsavoury past,” and all the rest of it, keep getting laundered through reputable outlets like the AP, and are now able to re-launch themselves as context-free patriots?

I’m dreading any response to this because the video really is horrific and I have no desire to defend the russian invasion. the problem is that there is now a more-or-less open western proxy war in Ukraine, which will not only kill and destroy many thousands of humans, but it will also effectively turn Ukraine into a third-world disasterzone for decades to come, which is something that the western world ultimately doesn’t care about. and we are part of the propaganda side of this war.

we should, at the very least, keep our eyes open about who exactly is being amplified here.

I’m dreading any response to this because the video really is horrific and I have no desire to defend the russian invasion. the problem is that there is now a more-or-less open western proxy war in Ukraine, which will not only kill and destroy many thousands of humans, but it will also effectively turn Ukraine into a third-world disasterzone for decades to come, which is something that the western world ultimately doesn’t care about. and we are part of the propaganda side of this war.

we should, at the very least, keep our eyes open about who exactly is being amplified here.
yeah - generally I google people before making judgements and do my own research.
but this time it was hard to see any malice in someone trying to save people's lives.
a reminder that not knowing the full details can be dangerous.

the video is by a woman called Julia Paevska

back in 2019, a different universe, it was still acceptable for mainstream journalists to to call her what she is: an ultranationalist

View attachment 15687

taken from an article in January 2019 by those renowned tankie Putinists, the Pulitzer Center:

all I would say is — why do these people keep popping back up now? why do people who are “ultranationalist,” “ex-far-right,” “extremist,” “unsavoury past,” and all the rest of it, keep getting laundered through reputable outlets like the AP, and are now able to re-launch themselves as context-free patriots?
Personally, right now, I don’t care. She seemed to be doing the right things for the right reasons. I know that’s a gross over simplification but I think Ukrainians will be happy to wait and deal with who is/isn’t a nazi when the war is over.

There’s an interesting quote comparing the levels of nazis in azov battalion & “hillbilly klansmen” in the US Marines further down in that article.

Personally, right now, I don’t care. She seemed to be doing the right things for the right reasons. I know that’s a gross over simplification but I think Ukrainians will be happy to wait and deal with who is/isn’t a nazi when the war is over.

There’s an interesting quote comparing the levels of nazis in azov battalion & “hillbilly klansmen” in the US Marines further down in that article.

yep, that’s partly why I said I was dreading pointing this out. but I suppose the difference here is that I don’t think that there will ever be some kind of neat settling-of-accounts “after the war.” if anything, the more capable parts of the ukrainian far-right will simply be integrated into a new western-aligned state security apparatus, just like what happened throughout much of europe after world war 2, and will get to terrorise whoever they feel like. there’s precedent here.

saying Julia was a ultranationist now turned battlefield medic would have done the job. the issue is the tenor of the report. in journalism if something is held back then the whole piece comes under question.
I hope Julia is still alive and well.

I read The Years of Lead wiki a few years ago in connection with Bologna train station being blown up causing mass deaths in 1980. neo nazis were convicted but conspiracy theories persist about what happened.

yep, that’s partly why I said I was dreading pointing this out. but I suppose the difference here is that I don’t think that there will ever be some kind of neat settling-of-accounts “after the war.” if anything, the more capable parts of the ukrainian far-right will simply be integrated into a new western-aligned state security apparatus, just like what happened throughout much of europe after world war 2, and will get to terrorise whoever they feel like. there’s precedent here.

Absolutely 100% agree but in this specific case if there’s someone out risking their life to help save lives - ukrainian or Russian - then that’s good enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back