2020-21 Football thread (2 Viewers)

I hate Real, but I'd rather see them win than PSG, Man City, or Chelski, and this season they've beat all three, hahahaha. You can talk about the level playing field, but all 3 of those clubs have far more money to spend than Real have, so fuck em!
a lot of my dislike of Real is their attitude which isn't comparable to any other club or their fans.
Madridistas pricks have a very privileged old money sense of unreality when it comes to their finances. a 'it's vulgar to ask the price of things' attitude.
City fans still can't believe their luck. Madrid fans expect things to be easy and go on winning for ever.
PSG were a joke of a club before the Qatari money, in a city that has remarkably little interest in football.
they're a nouveau riche operation whose European record is laughable.
I can still see something of the old days in Man City but only through their fans who are loveable losers who won the lottery. they were given mountains of money and entrusted it to football people who have set up something that is going to keep them at the top for decades unfortunately.
Man Utd and Arsenal are so badly run that are only really big in name for the moment.
Chelsea are the most unlikeable club in the UK.

If Liverpool win there's a good chance I'll be on the hook for losing a 15 quid bet.

So for the first time ever I probably want Real to win the CL.
I would pay 1,500 quid for Atletico to have beaten beat Real in the 2014 CL Final.
saddest thing I ever saw in a match.

it was like a WWF grudge match were Ramos and Ronaldo were hanging on by their finger nails and were about get thrown over the top rope into a skip full of rancid human biohazard and all their bad karma was going to catch up with them.
then suddenly it all turned in to shit and garbage for Atletico.

PSG were a joke of a club before the Qatari money, in a city that has remarkably little interest in football.

Man Utd and Arsenal are so badly run that are only really big in name for the moment.

The best incubator of talent in Europe is the outer suburbs of Paris, it's insane that they aren't hoovering up all the young kids and building themselves a great side of local players. How did they ever let Mbappe go to Monaco in the first place?

Arsenal are thankfully finally being less stupid as an organisation now. All that power that was vested in Arsene, when he left it had to be redistributed and they ballsed it up. They're on the third structural reorganisation since AW left and this one finally seems to have them moving in the right direction again. They've already achieved what would have been considered a reasonable benchmark of progress for the season by confirming europa league football last weekend and depending on how the next few weeks pan out they could achieve something no one gave them a hope of doing at the start of the season if they can secure a top 4 spot.

Leo WIlden (1936 - 5 May 2022)
Defender who played in the 1962 World Cup and was a West German Champ twice with FC Koln in 1961-62 and in the first Bundesliga season in 1963-64.

I currently would rather see Real win than Man City or PSG because Man City and PSG are both just spending billions with the sole aim of trying to win the Champions League, so the longer they keep losing in the CL, the better. Real have already won it so many times that I don't even care if they win it again, it's nothing new.

I currently would rather see Real win than Man City or PSG because Man City and PSG are both just spending billions with the sole aim of trying to win the Champions League, so the longer they keep losing in the CL, the better. Real have already won it so many times that I don't even care if they win it again, it's nothing new.
I will probably feel the same after PSG, Man City or Newcastle (!) actually win it.
e.g. Man Utd are so harmless now I feel very sorry for what the Glazers have put them through

a lot of my dislike of Real is their attitude which isn't comparable to any other club or their fans.
Madridistas pricks have a very privileged old money sense of unreality when it comes to their finances. a 'it's vulgar to ask the price of things' attitude.
City fans still can't believe their luck. Madrid fans expect things to be easy and go on winning for ever.
I can still see something of the old days in Man City but only through their fans who are loveable losers who won the lottery. they were given mountains of money and entrusted it to football people who have set up something that is going to keep them at the top for decades unfortunately.
Chelsea are the most unlikeable club in the UK.

Where do West Ham fit into your reckoning of money and footy?
I'm asking because their good fortune or otherwise affects my paycheck at the moment. I wouldn't want to say any more than that.

Totally agree on your assessment of Chelsea. They are disliked on a judicial and geo-political level at the moment of course. And by the man on the street for a long time here.

At 1:05 "YA SHITE!"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Where do West Ham fit into your reckoning of money and footy?
I'm asking because their good fortune or otherwise affects my paycheck at the moment. I wouldn't want to say any more than that.

Totally agree on your assessment of Chelsea. They are disliked on a judicial and geo-political level at the moment of course. And by the man on the street for a long time here.

At 1:05 "YA SHITE!"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

there was a lot dodgy dealing concerning the rent deal West Ham negotiated i.e. Sullivan, Gold and Baroness Brady the Arsenal fan.
they got the stadium for half nothing and many questions were asked about it inc. by Orient chairman Barry Hearne and a BBC documentary. also London Olympic chief Seb Coe (not a West Ham fan by the way) rather than build a football stadium on the site, insisted it had to stay as an athletics stadium so further alterations after the 2012 Olympics cost £300 odd million inc for moveable seating which is still very far from the pitch - a total waste.

according to this artcle from (July 2021) WHFC only pays 3 million rent p.a. (!!!!!) LLDC who own the stadium have to cover the maintainence of the stadium. tax payers money folks!
why isn't there a public inquiry ?

West Ham paid nothing for this extra work and got the rent for a a song.
this massively increased the value of the club by a nine figure amount to be pocketed by Sullivan and Gold at a later date.
Declan Rice being actively encouraged to switch to England by the club doesn't sit well with me either.

West Ham were just another club to me before but I don't like them at all now and was glad Eintracht won.

Jose Luis Violeta (1941 - 5 May 2022)
Violeta played a joint record of 473 matches in central midfield for Real Zaragoza between 1963-77.
He won the Cup in 1966 but missed the final victories of the 1964 Fairs/UEFA Cup and the 1964 Cup.
Zaragoza were runners up in La Liga in 1974-75 - their highest ever finish.
He twice turned down attempts by Real Madrid to sign him.
Violeta won 14 caps for Spain (1966-73)

Anton Arieta (1946 - 7 May 2022)
Athletic Bilbao (1964-74) and Spain forward (7 caps/4 goals).
Arieta won the Copa twice inc. in 1969 when Ronnie Allen was manager.
His older brother Eneko (1933-2004) was also a Bilbao great as a prolific striker.

Henk Groot (1938 - 11 May 2022)
As Dutch football transitioned into professionalism in the 1960's Henk Groot was one of their biggest stars but he had to retire in 1969 and missed the successes of the 1970's.
Groot played for Ajax from 1959-69 punctuated by a spell at Feyenoord (1963-65) where he won a double to go with his four titles and two cups at Ajax. In his second spell at Ajax he played in a more midfield role to
accomodate the teams emerging talent.
Henk scored 196 goals in the Eredivisie in just 279 games.
He won 39 caps (12 goals) but injury in an international against Poland in 1969 ended his career.
Henk's older brother Cees (1932 -1988) also joined Ajax in 1959 and enjoyed success in his five years there as another prolific striker.

You'd think that the transfer of one of the players who is likely to be one of the dominant figures in the game for the next decade at least would get some excitement going. But the Halland to City thing seems to have been met with a big collective shrug.

I don't think people care enough about City to properly hate them for what they are. I'm even sort of indifferent to their success, I don't care if they win leagues because they should be winning the league every year they way that they backed.

Do that end I should be in more admiration for what Liverpool have done to keep pace with them in recent years, but I'd be more petty and resentful of their success because while currently much better side then my team (Arsenal) they are both notionally on the same plane of footballing existence (very big and wealthy, large international fanbase, but not pissing unlimited money down an open sewer) and their success highlights Arsenal's failings in the past decade.

Also I've disliked them for more than 30 years, I'm indifferent to City.

You'd think that the transfer of one of the players who is likely to be one of the dominant figures in the game for the next decade at least would get some excitement going. But the Halland to City thing seems to have been met with a big collective shrug.

I don't think people care enough about City to properly hate them for what they are. I'm even sort of indifferent to their success, I don't care if they win leagues because they should be winning the league every year they way that they backed.

Do that end I should be in more admiration for what Liverpool have done to keep pace with them in recent years, but I'd be more petty and resentful of their success because while currently much better side then my team (Arsenal) they are both notionally on the same plane of footballing existence (very big and wealthy, large international fanbase, but not pissing unlimited money down an open sewer) and their success highlights Arsenal's failings in the past decade.

Also I've disliked them for more than 30 years, I'm indifferent to City.
Hope The Arse get 4th place.
Liverpool are very well run operation. Arsenal very badly run by a greedy owner who seems to make a lot of money and doesn't particularly care about winning. Kronky's son seems to be less bad and is more involved recently.
did you see Merse on TV recently A Walk Through My Life?
it was one of those BBC4 hiking programmes, just with Merse talking as he walks about his life for mental health week. He'd never done anything like it before and was surprised how much of a buzz he got from it.
He's a small bit religious now having been through AA and GA but he's just a lovely bloke.

I used to have a huge soft spot for loveable losers Man City.
I laughed at them in the 1990's but Maine Road being packed in the late 90's when they had their worst ever team was hugely impressive.
Paul Dickov and Nicky Weaver saved them v Gillingham in 1999 at Wembley to get out of D2.
the following year they signed Richard Dunne and there was the amazing win away to Blackburn to clinch consecutive promotions under Big Joe Royle. at half time they were 1-0 down and Souness' Blackburn had also hit the frame twice. City got 4 goals in the second half.

then Joe brought in Weah for a while but he got sack after immediate relegation in 2001.
(Royle is my fave Evertonian along with Nev Southall, Big Dunc and Kev 'my left foot' Sheedy)

after the collapse of the ITV Digital in turned out City somehow had the lowest debts in D1 in summer 2001.
Curly Kev came in and spent a LOT of money but got a free bargain with a wonderful lad on an off the pitch - Ali Bernabia who embarrassed the shit out of D1 players in another promotion as champs.

City had a great start the following season (2002-03) the final one at Maine Road.
When United came in November 2002, soon to depart City legend Shaun Goater scored twice inc a gift from Gary Neville to take a 3-1 win, their first since 1989's Maine Road Massacre.

City then moved into the new stadium and from 2003 Shaun Wright Phillps and The Dunny Monster took huge steps up as players. in 2004's FA Cup there was a 4-3 away at Spurs where Joey Barton got sent off DURING half time when City were 3-0 down. Irish one cap man Jon Macken got a last gap winner.

Keegan and Psycho came and went with debt mounting SWP and Anelka were evetually sold. Dunny turned down a chance to go Newcastle, there were a few more memorable wins over United inc a 4-1 where SWP was deadly and got two.

after SHINAWHATHEFUCK as someone on thumped called him took over early in 2007-08, City lost their identity, became hugely less fun and in 2009 sold Dunne.

Hope The Arse get 4th place.
Liverpool are very well run operation. Arsenal very badly run by a greedy owner who seems to make a lot of money and doesn't particularly care about winning. Kronky's son seems to be less bad and is more involved recently.
did you see Merse on TV recently A Walk Through My Life?
it was one of those BBC4 hiking programmes, just with Merse talking as he walks about his life for mental health week. He'd never done anything like it before and was surprised how much of a buzz he got from it.
He's a small bit religious now having been through AA and GA but he's just a lovely bloke.
I haven't seen that but I'll look into it.

There was a thing on the BBC a few months ago he did which was mostly about his addiction issues. I really felt for the guy, the booze and the coke he seems to be on top of but the gambling ... it seems like every day is hard going for him. A really insidious addiction. Lockdown didn't help at all.

Very good programme, worth tracking down if you can.

I haven't seen that but I'll look into it.

There was a thing on the BBC a few months ago he did which was mostly about his addiction issues. I really felt for the guy, the booze and the coke he seems to be on top of but the gambling ... it seems like every day is hard going for him. A really insidious addiction. Lockdown didn't help at all.

Very good programme, worth tracking down if you can.
saw that. Merse showed brilliantly (as usual) in his own words how an addicts brain is inherently wired to take risks. He's a bit of a national treasure now. three years off drink and less long off gambling.
Merse's way with words is really impressive he says everything in his own accessable very succinct way.
I think he's awesome.

Celtic won the league. I was a big fan back in the day but zoned out around 1993, just as they were on the cusp of greatness. I chose this year to get back interested. Good timing.

Any time bar last year in the last 11 years would have been a good time. They blew a chance at going 10 in a row last seeason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back