2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

91,000 at the Camp Nou on Wednesday night for the women's CL QF 2nd leg.
Barca 5 - 2 Real (8-3 on agg.)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

classic match. a few cracking goals in there.

by no means am I mentioning every player who had a major career who passes away but these two lads deserve a mention:

Vasyl Turyanchyk (1935 - 31 March 2022)
Dynamo Kyiv player who was a four times Soviet champion in the 1960's

Juan Carlos Cardenas (1945 - 30 March 2022)
Argentine international who won League with Racing in 1966 and Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cup (World Club Championship) in 1967 where he scored the winning goal in Montevideo after an infamous bad tempered series of matches against Celtic.
In 2019 the family of the late Tommy Gemmell kindly returned Cardenas' jersey to him

Planning to mostly ignore the Qatar tournament because of all the horrible bullshit around it but I'm still fascinated to see the group draw tomorrow..

I'm planning on developing a month long interest in the WSL next winter, possibly for longer than that depending on how I get on with it.

probably
I'm planning on developing a month long interest in the WSL next winter, possibly for longer than that depending on how I get on with it.
I doubt I won't watch it in Qatar, even despite many building labourers deaths (among other things).

I've given up watching football for far less in the past - I wasn't happy with the start of the Premier League and lost interest as the first season progressed, which lasted for a few years.

sport is only going to continue down this route of big money trying white wash their crimes

Leonel Sanchez (1936 - 2 March 2022)
Chilean great who was voted 3rd best player at the World Cup, where he scored four goals in Chile's run to the semi finals. Sanchez won 85 caps scoring 24 goals.
Sanchez played most of his career at Unversidad de Chile where he won six championships.

The Battle of Santiago: Chilean 2-0 Italy 1962 World Cup
Some Italian journalists visted Chile before the tournament and reported the place very disparagingly.
The Italian team were public enemy numero uno when they arrived for their group match with the hosts.
David Coleman does the famous intro. Watch out for Leonel Sanchez #11 punching David and David's brutal response.

Joaquim Carvalho (1937 - 5 April 2022)
Sporting Lisbon goalkeeper who won three league championships and the 1964 Cup Winners Cup.
He was capped 6 times including playing in Portugal's opening match of the 1966 World Cup.
Sporting 5-0 Man Utd February 1964 (6-4 on agg.)

Sporting also beat APOEL Nicosia 16-1 in the first leg of their last 16 tie.

Gerd Zimmermann (1949 - 6 April 2022)
A goal scoring defender with a great shot, especially from long distance. The biggest match of Zimmermann's career ended in bitterest of disappointment.

Zimmermann started with his local club 'Gladbach but after only 8 Bundesliga matches with the 1970 Bundesliga Champs left for Fortuna Koln before finding success with Fortuna Dusseldorf from 1974-80.

As Dusseldorf's music scene* flourished. Fortuna in a 1971-87 spell in the Bundesliga also shone as the city's scene was central to German punk and its offshots.

After losing the 1978 DFB Cup Final to arch rivals FC Koln, 1979 was the club's big year:
Dusseldorf beat Hertha to win the domestic cup but Zimmermann missed that Final on June 23...

Dusseldorf played Barcelona in the 1979 Cup Winner's Cup Final and after four first half goals it was still 2-2 with about 75 minutes gone.
Zimmermann (#4) dribbled the ball towards the Barca area, after dodging a couple of tackles he was fouled and collapsed in a heap and didn't get up.
What happened next was sickening: the match countinued and eventually help was called on for the stricken Zimmermann. After a few minutes attention he got up and hobbled around and was encouraged to keep playing. But a couple of minutes later Gerd attempted a tackle on the edge of his own box, collapsed again and now in agony he had to be subbed. He had suffered a cruciate injury.
(see the above from 1:27:22 onwards here)

Team mate Deiter Brei, subbed after 25 mins also never fully recovered from that injury, retiring in 1981.
A thrilling final continued without Gerd and Barca won 4-3 a.e.t. with Hans Krankl scoring the winner.

Zimmermann wasn't the same player afterwards and left the following year after not playing in the 1980 DFB Final revenge win over a brilliant Koln team.
He scored 40 goals in 166 in Bundesliga matches for Dusseldorf and 44 in 203 Bundesliga games in total.
Zimmermann then played in the NASL and later returned to Germany with Solingen and Fortuna Koln to end his career in 1983 (yet again Zimmerman missed the 1983 Koln DFB Final derby defeat to FC Koln).

Fortuna Dusseldorf tribute:

Fortuna Koln 7-1 Bayern (1979)
Bayern's defence was dire, they missed a string of easy chances and Dusseldorf punished them severely.

*apart from KRAFTWERK Dusseldorf also produced NEU, LA DUSSELDORF (duh!) and then in the punk/ post punk era a string of bands inc. MITTAGSPAUSE, DAF, FEHLFARBEN, DER PLAN, DIE KRUPPS, DIE TOTEN HOSEN and not forgetting DORO The First Lady of Metal, to name but a few ...

Emiliano Mascetti (1943 - 7 April 2022)
Verona legend who also played for Torino and had long spells as sporting director at Verona (inc. during 1985 Serie A triumph), Roma, Atalanta and also worked with Sampdoria.

Wolfgang Fahrian (1941 - 13 April 2022)
West Germany goalkeeper who played in all four of their matches at the 1962 World Cup. Fahrian won 10 caps but his career faded in the early Bundesliga era.

Joachim Streich (1951 - 16 April 2022)
Streich was East Germany's greatest goalscorer and most capped player. He scored over 50 goals the DDR national team and was known as the 'Gerd Muller of the East'.
He played in the 1974 World Cup scoring 2 goals as the DDR reached the last 8 second phase, even beating West Germany the only time they ever played. Strangely this was the only FIFA tournament the DDR ever qualified for.
Despite his goals Streich only won three Cups with FC Magdeburg whom he joined after their 1974 Cup Winner's Cup victory.
Hans Jurgen Dorner (also b. 1951) who was the DDR's second most capped player died in January.

Ivica Osim (1941 - 1 May 2022)
Yugoslavia coach 1986 - 1992

In 2009 Jonathan Wilson met a frail Osim in Sarajevo but he still had much to say:
Former Japan manager Ivica Osim dies at 80

Yesterday an inquest ruled that former Cardiff and Wales defender Keith Pontin (1956-2022) suffered brain injuries caused by playing football. Keith was diagnosed with early onset dementia aged 59 and died aged 64 in August 2020.

Real Madrid v Man City is fuckin quality here. 2 goals on aggregate down on 90 minutes, Real just scored 2 in injury time to send the match to extra time. I never thought I'd let out a fuckin massive YAAAAAAAA for Real Madrid, but there it is, because FUCK MAN CITY FOREVER. Hope Franco's minions can hold on and get the win here!!

Real Madrid v Man City is fuckin quality here. 2 goals on aggregate down on 90 minutes, Real just scored 2 in injury time to send the match to extra time. I never thought I'd let out a fuckin massive YAAAAAAAA for Real Madrid, but there it is, because FUCK MAN CITY FOREVER. Hope Franco's minions can hold on and get the win here!!
It is mental gear

I cannot stand Real
And I hope they knock another few in against this City team

all time great tie alright. City threw it away and should have won the first leg about 8-3.
the ref let a lot go last night and there was serious time wasting that should have seen 5 minutes added at the end of ET. as it was the ref didn't even play the allotted 3 minutes.

Now I hate Real Madrid more than any other club by a long way.
however dislikeable Man City are now, a huge section of their support remembers losing to Mansfield in Division 2 and are in the 'City 'til I die' brigade regardless of what happens on the pitch.

after the match Real players were wearing jerseys with 14 on the back. there is no other club in the world with that type of arrogance.
I always want Real to lose - unless it's going to help Bilbao or Rayo Vallecano or someone win the league.
if PSG, Man Utd, Lazio, Juve or even Chelsea or Rangers were playing Real, I'd be happy if Real got beat -
they're a total shower of wankers - especially the fans.
all those other clubs I mentioned suffered in living memory - Real haven't. they wave their hankys if they don't win the league. their sense of entitlement is unrivaled.

Real have well over a billion in debts and they have let this happen before: in 2001 they sold their training ground to the local authority for 278 million who promptly had it leased back to them.
this isn't a fair playing field. even Liverpool or Bayern are a tight ship financially and they have to be.

as I said if any English team were playing Real in the final I'd want 'em to win.
if someone supports Real v Liverpool, they must enjoy watching football for completely different reasons than I do.

as far as the rest of the season goes:
Real can now take it easy until the CL Final. La Liga wasn't very good this season.

City psychologically must be shattered and had to play 120 minutes into the bargain plus Kyle Walker got injured again. but they don't have any particularly hard matches left.

Liverpool chances of winning the PL have gone up slightly but surely playing City in the CL Final would have been far easier than Real who can nearly go on holiday for a few days.
Liverpool have a hell of a lot their plate for the next few weeks.

I hate Real, but I'd rather see them win than PSG, Man City, or Chelski, and this season they've beat all three, hahahaha. You can talk about the level playing field, but all 3 of those clubs have far more money to spend than Real have, so fuck em!

I don't care much but i'd like to see liverpool win everything, just because it's possible.

The idea that oligarchs ruined soccer takes away from the previous idea that big money ruined soccer, but here we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back