Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (3 Viewers)

Pole Vaulting is kinda interesting

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ever do any pole vaulting?

kevin-bacon-tremors-tv-series-details-jpg.jpeg

Sunday 23 February 1992
ATALANTA 1-1 CREMONESE

That evening on the sports news we heard of something in Bergamo so unprecedented you could barely even imagine it. But we had to wait until Monday evening for RTE's Serie A highlights programme to see it. This was talked about regularly throughout the day at school and fairweather football fans were reminded to make sure to watch.
I've long forgotten what the main match was but when goals from the other matches came on after Cremonese's MICHELANGELO RAMPULLA was the man we had waited over 24 hours to see

Cremonese were losing 1-0 to Atalanta and in the final moments their goalkeeper Rampulla came up forward for a free kick and headed in the equaliser (His disappointed team mate number 11 thought he was going to score and didn't join in the celebrations!)
This was the first time I know of a goalkeeper even going up like this, never mind actually pulling it off.
Reputedly it was the first ever goal scored by a 'keeper in Serie A? Certainly none of us had ever seen anything like it before.
I never forgot his name. Rampulla joined Juve soon afterwards and won a stack of trophies there as back up keeper.

The above article is a great example of the reverence Italy has for it's sports veterans - if someone did something special they are always respected and never forgotten.
La Gazzetta dello Sport also did an article on Rampulla's goal recently but it's paywalled.

prior to Sunday's League Cup Final at Wembley there was a pro Ukrainian moment which the crowd and all players were encouraged to participate in.
the irony was that a load of soldiers were on the pitch as usual since Wembley reopened in 2007.
this is a 21st century phenomenon which only started in the wake of the Iraq War - another completely discredited conflict.
When sports people and journalists were actively encouraged to voice their opinion on the Ukraine War, I wonder how someone condemning the army getting a photo op, NATO, the military industrial complex or saying Blair should be sent to the The Hague would have been received.

Ah bless...

Rolled out of bed at 3 there to watch Minnesota Timberwolves beat the L.A Clippers for the 7th seed in the play-in.

Good game with Minnesota looking beat the whole game with their best player Karl Anthony Townes throwing air and making fouls, getting sidelined for the most part...somehow they won it with ultimate bad guy Patrick Beverly sticking it to his old Clippers team-mates. Matching up against the Memphis Grizzlies now in the play-offs. Two hot young teams, but more than likely Grizzlies going to utterly steamroll them.

NBA... it's a long aul' hoor of a season.

Rolled out of bed at 3 there to watch Minnesota Timberwolves beat the L.A Clippers for the 7th seed in the play-in.

Good game with Minnesota looking beat the whole game with their best player Karl Anthony Townes throwing air and making fouls, getting sidelined for the most part...somehow they won it with ultimate bad guy Patrick Beverly sticking it to his old Clippers team-mates. Matching up against the Memphis Grizzlies now in the play-offs. Two hot young teams, but more than likely Grizzlies going to utterly steamroll them.

NBA... it's a long aul' hoor of a season.
This honestly read like you were trolling but no, these are actual team names and a description of a real event.

I was in Texas once and met this guy who played for the Timberwolves and who was trying to make it as a rapper. He was in a fair bad mood cos his gig had been cancelled for that night. When I asked him why he wouldn't tell me. Just said 'politics'. The real reason was probably that they sold no tickets. It was in Houston, full of white rednecks, so hardly that surprising. He gave me a CD and a t-shirt. I never listened to the CD.

it was this lad

This honestly read like you were trolling but no, these are actual team names and a description of a real event.
I'm so glad I went to bed early and didn't go to Grouper, and got up for this instead.

I'm being a 100% serious when I say that.

These games that go down to the last few seconds are hard to beat. Getting up for a game that was over 3/4s way through would have been pretty miserable.

I like basketball to play but I’ve never actually watched a game. I used to play NBA Jam on the Sega Mega Drive but don’t remember these teams in it.

I like basketball to play but I’ve never actually watched a game. I used to play NBA Jam on the Sega Mega Drive but don’t remember these teams in it.
Memphis Grizzlies - founded 1995
Minnesota Timberwolves - founded 1989.

I assumed they were both on the go a lot longer... but look, the Seattle Supersonics don't even exist anymore... the franchise was dissolved then re-emerged as Oklahoma Thunder in 2007. Sickening if you were a big basketball head from Seattle.

Phoenix Suns' title to lose after last year's disapointment...but reigning champions Milwaukee Bucks [1968] looking strong. The aforementioned Grizzlies destroying everybody like an unstoppable machine in their last 20 plus games WITHOUT their best player, and Boston Celtics kicking some arse too... should be a good playoffs.

I was in Texas once and met this guy who played for the Timberwolves and who was trying to make it as a rapper. He was in a fair bad mood cos his gig had been cancelled for that night. When I asked him why he wouldn't tell me. Just said 'politics'. The real reason was probably that they sold no tickets. It was in Houston, full of white rednecks, so hardly that surprising. He gave me a CD and a t-shirt. I never listened to the CD.

it was this lad

seems like he's a Christian rapper?

if T-Hud couldn't sell tickets in Houston he needed to bear in mind The Geto Boys and Rap A Lot Records put Houston on rap map.
"I'll blow your motherfuckin' house up and if you're wife and kids inside they're fucked!!!"
Geto Boys - Mind of a Lunatic (1990)

Geffen refused to distribute this but I don't know how anyone could take something so OTT seriously

no interest in basketball myself. didn't like playing it in school and only enjoy watching it when the Cork boys are doing the Olympics, really.
nothing wrong it just doesn't appeal to me.

today I will be watching:

2nd edition of the women's Paris-Roubaix on Eurosport at 1 pm.
expect lots of farm track roads w/ cobbles, muck, punctures and hopefully not too many crashes, finishing at the velodrome almost on the border with Belgium
Lizzie Deignan won last year but is she is expecting her second child now with Letterkenny house dad Phil.

Men's race is on tomorrow. Sonny Colbrelli who won last year had a heart attack at the Tour of Catalunya in late March and now has a heart defibrillator. there is no precedent for racing with one so this is the end bike racing for him. Sonny was always a fighter, what I'd call 'a bike rider's bike rider'. he'll be missed in the peloton but far more importantly he's still here.

and shortly after the women's Roubaix finishes, the Man City v Liverpool FA Cup semi kicks off at 3:30 pm at Wembley this afternoon on BBC.

Has it been a year already?

I never watched a Paris/Roubaix in full, but flashback or scutter or someone posted a link to a doc on the cycling thread about Sean Kelly winning it and how generally mental it is as a race.
A year ago (Shit, actually, maybe it was THREE years ago), it was on TV at work. Everyone watched, no one except me knew what they were watching. I'm explaining "it's the Paris Roubaix!", everyone else was just confused "Why are they covered in mud? Why is there cobbles? What is this madness?".
"As I said, it's Paris Roubaix".
"But, that explains nothing. This is nuts".
"It explains everything, and yes, it is nuts".

RE the soccerball, much ructions over here in Saxon-land that the game is being held at Wembley, and all the Mancs and Scousers are having to make their way down to that London for the game. There's no trains this weekend. And I agree with them. Old Trafford exists. The Aviva would've been a more sensible option ffs.

Has it been a year already?

I never watched a Paris/Roubaix in full, but flashback or scutter or someone posted a link to a doc on the cycling thread about Sean Kelly winning it and how generally mental it is as a race.
A year ago (Shit, actually, maybe it was THREE years ago), it was on TV at work. Everyone watched, no one except me knew what they were watching. I'm explaining "it's the Paris Roubaix!", everyone else was just confused "Why are they covered in mud? Why is there cobbles? What is this madness?".
"As I said, it's Paris Roubaix".
"But, that explains nothing. This is nuts".
"It explains everything, and yes, it is nuts".

RE the soccerball, much ructions over here in Saxon-land that the game is being held at Wembley, and all the Mancs and Scousers are having to make their way down to that London for the game. There's no trains this weekend. And I agree with them. Old Trafford exists. The Aviva would've been a more sensible option ffs.
Women's Roubaix on Eurosport 2 for last 13 minutes.
Lovely sunny day, no mud but it's windy so there's some dust.
68 km left and they're in early sectors of cobbles. 14 sectors left after this.

Added bonus for later:
Pat Nevin is on Celebrity Mastermind at 6:30 tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back